• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Auto Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
well there are 2 methods:
first of all, make the whole map visible for the computer unit
1 method: create a trigger and order them every.. lets say 5 seconds to attack you
2 method (i dont know if that works): set the enemy units Target acquisition range to maximum, try that out, if it dont work --> method 1, if u need help with the triggers, say it

Level 4
I think for Acquisition is on Object Editor tab, not on Trigger tab... --Just to make sure it's maximum, shift-click on the data...--
(It's in "Combat - Acquisition Range", I think...)

Level 6
  • Attack
    • Events
      • Time - Every 10.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- I think this is for every 10 seconds of game time, okay? --------
      • Set Attacker = No unit
      • Set To_be_Attacked = No unit
      • Set Attacked_Group = (Units in (Playable map area) matching ((Matching unit) Equal to To_be_Attacked))
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in Attacked_Group and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Order Attacker to Attack (Picked unit)
      • -------- Well, this one is really a less efficient trigger :) --------

Level 8
Hmmmmm I believe you guys are on the wrong track ~no offense~

He wants the computer to search, not to aquire his target from 10 miles away. I believe the correct way for this to happen would be to order the computer to randomly walk across the map checking if there is enemies there. With your way (visibility max - attack orders) the enemy will find you no matter what, which is not good in a survival map now is it?
So why dont we do this!

Set regions in the map!
Covering all crossroads, places where resources are etc
And covering various places on the map!

And then, Order the enemy unit, to "Attack-Ground" that specific location! So not only will it go in that location but will attack anyone he finds in his way!
When he reaches that location, order it to "Attack-Ground" a different location, etc etc.

This seems like a search to me, instead of sniper tracking ~~

Level 8
Dont use max aquisition range unless its for really basic survival maps with only 1 player and 1 unit.
I think Maestros idea sounds better.
Hes suggesting you make regions all over your map and make triggers which orders the computer units to attack ground a random region.
And when the unit enters the region (detected by Event - unit enters region) you use triggers again to order the unit to attack ground another random region.
This probably wouldnt work for big maps though.
How big is your map??

Level 4
Maestros said:
Hmmmmm I believe you guys are on the wrong track ~no offense~
And I believe he's on the right track!
(And so, he's declaring that he's on the wrong track...)

If you're using acquisition range, then it's only a matter of time until "they" found you. By using Maestros' method, it'll be more challenging.
(Unless, you placed enemies behind you, and want the enemy chasing you at all time until you're survived...)

So, Maestros' method is to create random locations on your map, and order enemies to attack-move to one of locations you created, and always looking randomly...
(Such as the ghost on the-old-style-but-still-challenging Pacman...)

Status
Not open for further replies.