• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Aurora polaris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Summer of the northern lands.

Attachments

• c441e00de12f9615cc94250168ad3a79.jpg
    c441e00de12f9615cc94250168ad3a79.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 340
Level 14
There are just a few too many jagged edges on those background peaks and the cliff face underlying the castle could use just a few bushes etc. Also try and darken the terrain a little bit overall - I know that it doesn't get that dark in that environment, but a little bit more couldn't hurt. Overall, just give it more details and it will be a really amazing terrain.

Level 36
The aurora thing has been done to death,

"Done to death" is taking it a tad too far, there's truthfully other terrain phenomenons that's been done MORE to death than this.

And about those mountains, as I mentioned to you flad, I honestly love them. Given a thicker fog and another layer or two of mountains either in front or behind those already existing mountains and they'll looks superb.
- I also have to say that I really like the construction bit of this terrain.

Now, onto the nitpicking.

Personally, as I've stated too many times to count, I hate those rock models you've used, they always look either stretched or too "cartoony" for a terrain like this, why at all people consider them "high res" is beyond me. The only instances I've seen them look good is when they've been tinted to learly blackness, or as I can imagine if Flad would pull his magic flare move on them.
- I'm not certain "magic flare move" is an entirely legal statement.

And oh well, there's like two smaller details concerning those background mountains I'd like to point out. On either side of the terrain there seem to be a bothersome case of wart-growth on the mountain side, while I like how jagged they are "upwards," I don't see how mountains get "spikes" like that in their sides, I'd like you to fix that. If you don't get my meaning here, I'll be happy to provide a screenshot to point them out.

There's also a smaller case of complete whiteness inside the archway-thing on top of the waterfall, somehow it makes the whole impression of the terrain come off as wrong, seeing as it kind of looks like a gateway of some form, which doesn't seem natural at all in such a environment as this. I'd do something about that if I were you, mabe just remove those "River" doodads you likely have behind that arch and let some of the background forest show through it instead.

Other than my nitpicking, as formerly mentioned I really like this terrain.
- And here I was, nearly losing hope in the newer generation of terrainers.

ive never seen this before :thumbs_up:

"I've never seen" such a useless and senseless statement before...
- Look at me quoting the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.