• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

aura question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
is there an easy way to create an aura without jass? like with editing buffs, effects, and abilities. i've been playing around with buffs and effects but found nothing concrete myself yet. even a trigger way would work i guess, but i would prefer using object editor.

i also tried darky's multi aura, but it wasn't something easy to edit, and while searching the messages under it, someone mentioned jass.

thanks for any advice/help

Level 22
I just explain it roughly but u will undwerstand :p

Events: Unit leanrs an ability
Conditions: ability = ......
Actions: turn on aura effect and stop effect

aura effect (not initially on)

Events: unit comes withing XXX range of 'that hero'
conditions: ...
Actions: do what u want

Stop Effect

Events: unit leaves that area
conditions: .....
actions: remove and undo all the actions u did at 'aura effect'

Level 2
Thanks, I just seem to have trouble figuring out some things I want to do with the triggers, and a little point in the right direction always helps.

I'm having a little trouble figuring out exactly each trigger I need for that, but I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it. And if I can pefect that triggering, I'll be sure to add you into the credits for the triggering help.

Level 2
Maybe because I am using the standard WE, or maybe I am just not finding the events you are talking about, but I can't find any unit leaves range kind of trigger, and the unit enters range is very difficult to set up, the variables don't want to cooperate with me. I'm still working on it, but some more advice would really help is what I mean.

Level 7
Use this:

Code:
Aura Template
    Events
        Time - Every 2.00 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set tempu = *YOUR UNIT*
        Set i = (Level of *AURA SPELL*  for tempu)
        Set tempp = (Position of tempu)
        Set tempg[1] = (Units within 500.00 of tempp matching (((Matching unit) has buff *AURA BUFF* ) Equal to True))
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in tempg[1] and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                    If - Conditions
                        ((Picked unit) is in tempg[0]) Equal to True
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit - Set level of *AURA SPELL INSIDE* for (Picked unit) to i
                    Else - Actions
                        Unit - Add *AURA SPELL* to (Picked unit)
                        Unit - Set level of *AURA SPELL INSIDE* for (Picked unit) to i
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in tempg[0] and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                    If - Conditions
                        ((Picked unit) is in tempg[1]) Equal to False
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit - Remove *AURA SPELL* from (Picked unit)
                        Unit - Remove *AURA SPELL INSIDE* from (Picked unit)
                    Else - Actions
        Unit Group - Remove all units from tempg[0]
        Custom script:   call DestroyGroup(udg_tempg[0])
        Set tempg[0] = (Units within 500.00 of tempp matching (((Matching unit) has buff *AURA BUFF* ) Equal to True))
        Unit Group - Remove all units from tempg[1]
        Custom script:   call DestroyGroup(udg_tempg[1])
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_tempp)

Specifics:

*YOUR UNIT* - The unit with the aura, note that if you use this inside a whole big Unit Group pick matching units with
the spell you could make it work for multiple units, however this may lag since you're going to be doing
loads of loops and such.

*AURA SPELL* - The actual aura spell that the affecting unit has.

*AURA BUFF* - The buff given by your aura.

*DUMMY ABILITY* - This will be a spellbook based ability that is disabled on map initialization for all players.

*DUMMY ABILITY INSIDE* - This is a passive ability inside *DUMMY ABILITY*, it should have as many levels as your main
aura spell does.

**NOTE: This entire system works on a few key bits of information. They are as follows:

1) Passive spells inside a spellbook ability can be hidden by disabling the spellbook that contains it for all players

2) Spells inside a spellbook ability can be detected and upgraded/manipulated

-----------------------------------------

You can also download the template I made Here

However if you can use Vexorian's template I really suggest it, I think mine might have some memory leaks, not sure but I suspect. Anyway I hope this helps.

Level 5
hey there, ive actually been looking for somthing like this :), just 1 question tho...will this work for multiple level auras??? and if so how?

Level 7
*NOTE: This entire system works on a few key bits of information. They are as follows:

1) Passive spells inside a spellbook ability can be hidden by disabling the spellbook that contains it for all players

2) Spells inside a spellbook ability can be detected and upgraded/manipulated

Try it out, make a spellbook with a spell in it(multi-level) and increase its level through triggers. You will see that it increases, now hide it and try the same, using a trigger to output the level of the spell.

You will find that even in a disabled spellbook they maintain their levels, and will continue to effect the unit in question.[/quote]

Level 5
hey, yeah i tired to make an invisibility aura using that template, it didnt work, i found that it was difficult to set which hero the spell belongs to, is there anyother way that u can define the hero???

in your trigger ur first action is to set Var=Deathknight(position)

but i dont wanna use a position on the map...how can i define the hero i want to use without him being on the map??

Level 7
The position is only there to get around the stupid way that wc3 auras tend to stick on unit's even out of range for a certain amount of time.

As for a unit you can use presets, or you can use a global variable defined earlier. Or if you want to you can do
Pick Every Unit matching - **Unit has Ability**

and get all the units who happen to have the aura. However if you do that you MUST use a temporary unit group to buffer it like I did in the template, and it must be cleaned **Emptied then destroyed**.

Keep in mind though that picking all units with the aura will cause lag when you have lots of units, even if it is only a pick every 2 seconds.

Note about invisiblity aura, I don't really know which way would be more efficient(perma passive or casted effect). Gimme a couple minutes and I will rework the aura template to be more of a template to support multiple spells. However with the method I am using I suggest that you don't base more than 5-10 auras off of it unless you want lag to happen.

Level 7
Well its done, but the problem is that if I want to make it work for multiple units it will cause MORE lag(I suspect) than if only for one unit.

Also there is an issue I ran into with the new method, that effectively makes it impossible.

When you add ir remove(not sure yet which) an ability from a unit if you happen to have the hero spell button up it will exit it, so for now this system is limited to a single unit carrying the ability.

Level 5
ok awsome thats fine...i only want it for 1 hero. but i just thought of somthing...wat if another player has the same hero??? would that affect n e thing?

Level 2
i am having a lot more success with your spell I downloaded chuckle brother. but, how do you set it for a hero not yet on the map, as in a player gets a chance to pick a hero, so if they pick that one, how do I set the skill as usuable by the picked hero for the players that pick that hero? Also, what is the bonus hider variable and the bonus unit variable for?

Would it work if I just took out the trigger to disable my custome auras, so that any picked hero would have the custom aura?

Level 7
Unless you are willing to use JASS for now you will have to be content with an aura only working for a single unit, of course you could make it work for multiple players, and if you do want that I can easily set it up.

As to not using preset units just use a unit group pick that will get the hero that has the aura above level 1. Remember though that as it stands only 1(ONE) unit may have the aura.

The *Hider* spell is a spellbook ability, it contains our actual bonus, which can be ANY passive ability that exists in the game. The *Hider* ability must be Disabled for all players so that you cannot see it, however the passive inside will continue to function properly, and can be leveled with triggers.

Level 2
i'm not very experianced with variables, and i must say that all the variable work you did in that spell is helping me figure that stuff out, so thanks for the help Chuckle Brother and Ramza

Status
Not open for further replies.