• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Audio Logs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
So I have an idea for a campaign, which is to have the character be able to find audio logs to further explore the backstory of the campaign (think Bioshock). I want the logs to be able to be transferred from map to map of the campaign, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it.

The "Audio" Log would really just be something that when clicked on (perhaps a quest), it would display a small text story. So is there a way to make quests transferable between maps? If not, is there another way to do it?

As always, +rep for help. Thanks.

Level 8
i don't think it's possible to transfer quests from map to map. but you can try saving a Boolean value in a game cache, that checks if the audio log from a previous map is.. uhh.. played (it's an "Audio" log, right? :D). then copy the triggers for your audio logs from that map to the next map, and then load that Boolean value. like if it's true, then make it that the Audio log (like you said, in quest) is already Completed.

Level 10
Yes, that should work just fine, you could also possibly make conditions where if you have certain audio logs when you exit the current mission you will go to a certain mission where only those logs are unlocked, for this you may have to create many paths and I'm not sure if that would help since I'm not completely sure I know what you mean...
Also, please don't put prefixes on your threads, for future reference...

Level 10
I'm just calling them Audio Logs for the Bioshock reference. Basically I wanted to create quests that will transfer from level to level. It would basically be something like this:

You find and Item (the audio log)
It unlocks a quest, which can be read and has some back story
These quests transfer from level to level so you can read them at any time

If there's a better way of doing than quests, let me know.

Level 10
I have not seen it, which is why I was asking if there's any way to do it (it doesn't have to be quests, just some sort of transferable text between missions). The Boolean idea is decent, it would require a lot of work, though. So if anyone has an alternative solution, please let me know.

Wait, do you mean transfer actual quests across maps or transfer quests if they've been unlocked or whatever.

To transfer actual quests you'd need to store the strings of the quest parameters and just load them (using gamecaches) in the next map. If you just need to transfer text, you should use the "Game Cache - Store String" to store the text and retrieve it in the next map.

I'm afraid the only way to transfer whether or not something was discovered/unlocked would be a boolean. But it should be simple if I am understanding it right:
  • Game Cache - Store (QuestVar is discovered) as LABEL of CATEGORY in GameCacheVar
Do this for each quest and it'll be successfully transferred. =D

Level 10
I would need to transfer only quests that have been discovered, along with their text. So is the consensus that booleans are the best way to go about this?

If I'm using booleans, I guess I would just copy and paste the quest from map to map and then use the booleans to see if it was discovered or not, then uncover it if it is discovered.

Is that the best option or is there another way?

Level 8
uhh that would be a yes..?

as game caches only saves strings, integers, real and units(<--this right? haven't checked yet :|). you can just create a single trigger that creates all your discovered quests. it might require some work, but so far that's the best idea for transferring quests from map to map. and you can do it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.