• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Attempt to create pandaren buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
I had some free time on my hands and found my older project of the hunter's hall. I was attempting to create building pack for Pandarens but get bored throughout the process. Now I'm thinking about comming back to it :)

What are your thoughts on it? Any suggestions? Let me know, every opinion is valuable!

I know it is mostly CnP but I might attempt to go more free hand next time.

full

Last edited:
You know, I would really take my time and start learning the basics of texturing before cnp-ing something because it's just that easy.
> Click <

OT: Usually, pandaren designed buildings have a more orange-like hue to them, having ornate roofs with motifs like these and whatnot designs on top of those. Having complementing vivid colors.

Various bamboo pillars, windows and pretty much everything related to China.
Example: 1, 2, 3, 4(albeit a more simplified Hive design).

On a side note, you could try taking an alternative route and try this.

Last edited:
Level 20
Even though I am not happy with Barracks and Hut, (I will probably rework them sometime) here is my progress:

full

full

full

full

full

full

I know it is not perfect, I have limited time to practice which means i can not really get in to it on 100%
Maybe in a year or two, I it will be on another level.

(Sidenote: Sadly, I see that crazy texture on the roof of the Orc Main 1, I can not do much about it :( )

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Hey, that's a pretty good start, man. Where do you think people like Ujimasa come from; they pop into this world with all that talent? Practice, practice, practice. I think, in general, you got a decent color scheme going on there (the red is a bit overpowering in some of them, though).

In-game textures? I don't recognize them...

Level 20
Alright, I am thankfull for every comment :)

Since I had alot of work + school, I wasn't able to do somthing, but since today I had some spare time on my hand I will share with you my progress

full

full

full

full

full

I fear thought I won't be able to do something until Christmas time, until then, you can give me suggetions. I am kind of lots, I can't find buildings which would fit pandaren very well. Maybe you can give me some coll idea.

See ya!

Level 14
You surprise me, really! Lets me see... Everything seem to be fine considering design, team colour. The only things you should change in the model are maybe the hanging skulls -> hanging firework or something similar to Chinese lantern, give each model at least one Pandaren face logo where we can notice (to the wall or right into the main door). Secondary things you can consider to change are fences, columns surrounding the structures -> into more bamboo theme (well, just stick some custom bamboos doodads into right empty space, kind of work too). Finally! but not least, you can create some particle flying around the structures (just like spirits flying around Undead Town Hall), .... well lets say, a spirit cloud serpent!...

Anyway, i think lantern and firework should be enough for that. Other things are just additions.

Last edited:
Level 20
You surprise me, really! Lets me see... Everything seem to be fine considering design, team colour. The only things you should change in the model are maybe the hanging skulls -> hanging firework or something similar to Chinese lantern, give each model at least one Pandaren face logo where we can notice (to the wall or right into the main door). Secondary things you can consider to change are fences, columns surrounding the structures -> into more bamboo theme (well, just stick some custom bamboos doodads into right empty space, kind of work too). Finally! but not least, you can create some particle flying around the structures (just like spirits flying around Undead Town Hall), .... well lets say, a spirit cloud serpent!...

Anyway, i think lantern and firework should be enough for that. Other things are just additions.

Yeah, well . . . I understand what you mean. The real problem is that I have no real experience with modelling, since everything you see is only work with textures. If you are capable of creating this, you have my full premission to do so. Otherwise I can't really change the model, though I might learn it sometime.

Level 14
Yeah, well . . . I understand what you mean. The real problem is that I have no real experience with modelling, since everything you see is only work with textures. If you are capable of creating this, you have my full premission to do so. Otherwise I can't really change the model, though I might learn it sometime.

I see, unfortunately i have no knowledge about model, so that's why my suggestion is a little bit off space ... Anyway, i suggest you complete full building set for Pandaren without worrying about any other things, because they are worked as intended. If complexity is not good, then make it simple. There are plenty of time to come back and improve them later.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Alright, I am thankfull for every comment :)

Since I had alot of work + school, I wasn't able to do somthing, but since today I had some spare time on my hand I will share with you my progress

full

full

full

full

full

I fear thought I won't be able to do something until Christmas time, until then, you can give me suggetions. I am kind of lots, I can't find buildings which would fit pandaren very well. Maybe you can give me some coll idea.

See ya!
Dang, really coming along! I'm glad to see this isn't forgotten, and I'm really glad to see you using some of the lesser-known buildings for them as well. I still kinda feel like the red is a bit strong/out of place, but I could be wrong... It'd be really useful to see these all lines up in-game (see below).

No suggestions from me, but EVERYTHING Unregret has said is gold, pretty much.

I see, unfortunately i have no knowledge about model, so that's why my suggestion is a little bit off space ... Anyway, i suggest you complete full building set for Pandaren without worrying about any other things, because they are worked as intended. If complexity is not good, then make it simple. There are plenty of time to come back and improve them later.
YOU are the man. Everything you've said, I think, is good. Skulls -> lanterns/fireworks, check. Moar bamboo (replacing wood pylons around structure base)? Check. And while I never thought of it, the Pandaren would be perfect for Town Hall SFX like the Night Elves have! Brilliant.

Also, the suggestion to "just finish & then make things more complex later" is right on the money. How many beautiful resources & wonderful maps have been lost in the quest for perfection?... *looks at his hard-drive*

No problem; he didn't suggest anything so crazy some simple model edits couldn't handle it. Heck, I could probably do it if I had time... And the resources. Which leads me to my next point: in response to the above ("feel free to edit") & in response to what I said ("be good to see these altogether in a map"), could we perhaps throw together a little test map with these custom skins? Would be helpful, methinks.

Keep on keepin' on!

Level 20
Allright, it's here:

Official release of my Pandaren Skins v1.0. You can find them in my little test/slash story map. (To skip cutscene delete trigers :D )

There are no icons yet, but I'm planing to finish this set, even upgrade som skins w/ problems (But we all know that I'm a sloth xD so don't expect anything . . . )

Hope you will like it ;)

Attachments

• Pandaren - Mr.Henci v1.0.w3x
    1.2 MB · Views: 172
Status
Not open for further replies.