• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Astronomy Lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Since the first telescope, many have searched the stars for other planets. Soon enough, in the 1900s, we found and classified all the planets in our solar system. Still we yearned for more. What, if anything, is out there...beyond our solar system?

NASA(National Aeromautics Space Administration) found that first thing in 1991. While scanning a dying pulsar star, they detected multiple planets orbiting the pulsar. Though few of them were rocky planets, the extreme radiation from the pulsar would make life as we know it impossible to exist a that time.

These were the first planets ever found outside our solar system. Now, we have found over 200 more around various stars. These planets range from the size of mercury, to a size nearly triple of jupiter.The smallest, rocky planets, or solid planets, have only been found as large as two to three times that of earth, while the biggest found were gas giants.

And as far as we know none of the 200-some planets we have found have evolved beings capable of true intelligence.

Next week: The mulitverse theory:coolgrunt:

Attachments

• inset-beyond.jpg
    inset-beyond.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 232
Level 32
Helpful, but brief

This information is helpful and well written but it is rather brief. I would have liked to see a lot more content: for a "lesson" it does not teach us much.

I have renamed the thread. Further lessons should be ADDED to this "Astronomy Lessons" thread so that all the lessons are kept together, rather that being scattered all over this forum.

Last edited:
Level 3
LESSON#2 Mulitverse Theory

The Multiverse theory for the universe has been a recently accepted theory that describes the continuous formation of many universes through the collapse of giant stars and the formation of black holes. With each of these black holes there is a new point of singularity and a new possible universe. Singularity, is the point were the fabric of time is so warped, that all known laws of physics ease to exist. At the point of singularity it is agreed that it is impossible to predict physical behavior. This could mean that beyond this point of singularity there may be an entirely new set of physical laws. It is quite possible that after singularity, there may be an absence of such basic forces as gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces. If this were to happen, or if just one of these forces did not exist or was changed, then technically it would not be a part of this universe. Our universe is defined as the observable (if not explainable) aspects of the cosmos that involve the galaxies, stars, planets, and life that we know it. Should a basic component of our physical laws be changed, none of what we know would exist. According to Before the Beginning, by Sir Martin Rees, "If nuclear forces were slightly weaker, no chemical elements other than hydrogen would be stable and there would be no nuclear energy to power stars. But, if the nuclear forces were slightly stronger than they actually are relative to electric forces, two protons could stick together so readily that ordinary hydrogen would not exist, and stars would evolve quite differently."
multiverse_conenebula.gif

This demonstrates the small chance that it took for things to actually turn out like they did, and implies that it may be difficult for things to ever duplicate themselves should this idea of a "Multiverse" be more than just a theory.

I personally believe that there are other universes other than ours, and that reaching them would not be that difficult in theory. All you would need is two devices in constant contact with each other(computer, cell phone, etc), and one of them in another universe. Then, all you would have to do is send information of the other universe to the other computer here. This sounds pretty simple, until you add in the other unknown physical laws of that universe.

Next week-Europa:Life or not?

Level 32
It's fortunate that we humans are gifted and clever enough to explore and understand such concepts.

It's rather unfortunate, however, that we are unlikely to ever (physically) explore even the smallest portion of our own Milky Way galaxy, let alone the entire universe (or others if they exist).

Given enough time to evolve and a peaceful (yeah...right) Earth and a productive scientific/technological community just we might manage to explore a bit of our own neighborhood before we use up those valuable resources that make such progress possible.

Level 7
Indeed we will kill ourselves before we get the chance to do much exploring out there.Would be nice if everybody would relize how much were killing Earth and stop for once.

Level 7
The Earths resorces are starting to depleat and the ice caps are melting if they melt anytime soon it will get really hot and the water level will rise losing much land....we will pay for what we have done to Mother Earth at one point.

Level 3
I agree princeofice, but son't forget there are those who are working on the problem. Inventing things such as Formula 0 fuel (hydrogen) and electric vehicles. Plus there are already plans for energy stations that get energy from the motion of the ocean.

Level 32
Astronomy Links

CoolSoFar: To learn more about astronomy visit my home page (just click on the image in my signature) and then browse to the "Universe" page. There are tons of links that can answer more questions than you ever thought to ask!

Level 3
Can't you post it each day?? Week are just too long for waiting 1 post

I would post more often, but I have other important things to do, such as study for my sciences. Over half of my classes next year are advanced science classes and I have no time on my hands. But on the occasion that I get more time, I will write them more often:emote_happy:

Level 7
@Wolverabid, where do you get them all?? And the moon time, what sites give you an time of moon visible?!?

This will need more than 1 weeks to study all

Level 3
Europa: Life or Not?

Many people think that Mars is the only other place capable of life in our solar system. Yes, there has been water there, hunderds even thousands of years ago. And even today there's a sign that water still exists inside the planet's frozen ice caps. But, what if there was another body out there, with so much water that it made of almost all of the body's surface? Look no further than Jupiter's moon Europa.

europa1.gif

About 7 billion years ago, during the creation of the solar system Europa was a moon graced by abundant oceans covering the moon. Many, many years have passed since then,and now the solar system has cooled down drasticaly. This cooldown should have made the moon's water freeze and turn the moon's vast oceans into a sea of ice but scientists believe that due to the intense gravity of Jupiter constantly tearing at the moon, almost threatening to rip it apart and giving it a slightly warped look,it's core stays hot, which may be activating hypothermal vents at the sea floor, relasing vital minerals capable of supporting life such as the vents on our ocean floor.Therefore, the moon has a outer icy exterior with water under the ice.

But the real question has not yet been answered. Does life exist under the crunchy exterior of the moon?Did it in the past? Or is it a lifeless void?

eurint.jpg

There are currently some missions for the moon. For more information, you could go to http://nasa.gov but I'd recomend looking for it under a search engine preferably google.

Next week- Earth's sister Venus

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 7
Thats soemthing to say lol about Wolverabid.Yet another nice lesson and very informing.The thought of having other life in the solar system if awesome.(lets just hope there will be one day)

Level 3
Indeed.

The prospect of exploring Europa using satellite probes, remotely piloted vehicles, and eventually, human crewed vessels is an endeavor worthy of our humble species.

Last one to Europa's a rotten egg!

I completely aggree with you, but human missions to Eurpoa may be a little difficult, due to Jupiter's tug on the moon. Wouldn't that be a bit dangerous to be around?

Level 3
Earth's Sister Venus

Sorry for the long wait. My internet was down due to flooding problems. But here it is!

At first glance, if Earth had a twin, it would be Venus, not Mars. Venus is very similar in size, and it's year is almost as long as our year. But thats were the similataries pretty much end.

Venus is a backwards rotating planet, spinning in the opposite direction of its orbit around the Sun, rotating every 225 earth days. From its surface, the sun would seem to rise in the west and set in the east. The day on Venus is also strange in comparison to one on earth. One day lasts 243 earth days. Which means that 1 Venus day lasts longer than 1 Venus year!
http://z.about.com/d/space/1/0/b/9/venus1tn.jpg
The conditions on Venus are very harsh. The atmosphere consists mainly of carbon dioxide (the same gas that produces fizzy soda), droplets of sulfuric acid, and virtually no water vapor...not a great place for people, plants, or most multicelluar life in general. The surface is mainly volcanoes and lowland areas. Its atmosphere has gone greenhouse, which means basically that the sun's rays send in heat, but the heat can't escape, which probably is why Venus is what it is today.

There is a theory of what Venus was like prior to 300 million years ago though. The theory is that Venus may have been a waterworld much like earth. What happened to it though no one knows for sure. Aparently, the planet's core was much more active than ours, which caused dramatic volcanic activity which boiled the oceans away then all the fumes of the volcanoes made the geenhouse effect on the planets atmosphere.

What do you think?
http://z.about.com/d/space/1/0/d/9/venus5tn.jpg

Next week: New planet found capable of ET

Attachments

• venus1tn.jpg
    venus1tn.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 89
  • venus5tn.jpg
    venus5tn.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 106
  • venus3tn.jpg
    venus3tn.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 86
Level 3
Yet again I apologize for not posting for almost two weeks. In the future that will not happen again.

I need to know if someone can tell me more about the new planet they found that is capable of sustaining life about a few weeks ago?

Level 3
I think it was something like 42.7 light years away orbiting a Super-Jovian. It was roughly the same size as earth, but at that distance it is little more than a spec of light. The photo analysis showed that the atmosphere had a high concentration of nitrogen and ammonia (like early Earth had). Check out the Miller/Urey experiment for more information about why that might be important to the creation of life. Another point, it was mentioned almost a month ago, not two weeks, unless we are thinking of different things.

Though (just speculation) if the size measurements are right, the gas-giant it orbits is three times the size of Jupiter. A planet that size would produce radiation emissions (in fact all of our gas-giants do), in potentially harmful quantities. So if life did/does evolve there over the past/next few billion years, it will be much different than our own. Though the radiation is a good thing, since when the Earth-like planet is eclipsed by the larger gas-giant it will still receive necessary light and warmth, though not as strongly as that from the sun. But the light we are looking at is 43 years old. As far as I know it is a G stable sun.

Sorry I don't know anything more. And all of this is from memory, so I might have the numbers wrong (light years away).

Last edited:
Level 3
New planet capable of ET

On April 26, 2007, European Astronomers located a planet on a nearby star capable of sustaining life!

The planet orbits around a red dwarf star , which is a cool, small ,dimly lit star. It orbits around its star much closer than we orbit ours, which is why it is a potential life bearing planet. In fact, it is so close that it orbits its sun in a mere 13 days! That means that your birthday would be about every 2 weeks! If humans ever inhabit that planet, we would live for hundreds or years!

The new planet is about five times heavier than Earth, and gravity there would be 1.6 times as strong as Earth's. It isn'tcertain if it is rocky like Earth or if its a frozen ice ball with water on the surface. If it is like Earth, which is what the prevailing theory proposes, its diameter is about 1½ times bigger than our planet. If it is an iceball, it would be even bigger.

The planet and its sun are only 20.5 lightyears away from us, which is remarkable!!

Next Week: Revisiting the black hole\white hole theory

Attachments

• planetnew.jpg
    planetnew.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 59
Level 3
The BIG one

The Black Hole\White Hole theories

About 13 billion years ago, our universe was created through the Big Bang Theory. But the problem is where did the matter that makes our universe come from?

I believe that it came through a White Hole, which does the exact oppsite of a Black Hole and actually bursts matter out of it instead of sucking it all in (insert yo mamma joke). White Holes are considered impossible and are just thories though. But how do you explain the Big Bang then? Call it a act of god and throw the idea out of your mind? No. Though possibly an act of god, the Big Bang is only one piece of proof that White Holes exist.Start at the beginning, a few seconds before the Big Bang in another universe, our "mother universe" some may call it. Something happened, causing perhaps a black hole so massive, that its size is unimaginable to us. Anyway, that black hole sucked in zillions of tons of matter every one-millionth of a millionth of a second, and then all that matter traveled through a worm-hole to the other end of the black hole, its white hole and all of it exploded out of the white hole in one great sweep.

Still want more proof?OK!

This theroy is more straightforward. If black holes suck in matter constantly, which they do, then wouldn't our universe eventually cease to exist? Sucked into oblivion from the unknown mass of blak holes all over this universe? So therefore there are white holes somewhere in the universe. Or, ours is fueling another Big Bang somewhere in another new universe. If so, that means that universes are constantly born in an infinite cycle through every black hole empting into or creating another universe through a corresponding white hole.

These are my thories and I'm sticking to them!:wink:

Next Week: What is dark matter?

Level 21
i personally think M theory is very intresting and makes alot of sense. M theory is a development of string theory which combines the five superstring theorys with the another vital (and originally overlooked by physicists) component - membranes. the more detailed sections of the theory are quite heavy-going, but it attempts to answer the question of where the universe came from. basically the belief is that there are 11 dimentions which are shown to exist in the mathimatical workings of the theory. the first 10 dimentions are only explained with string theory but M-theory is where the membranes come into action. in the 11th dimention there are these theorised membranes of an infinate number, size and shape. when these membranes touch a universe is formed within the membrane (or something) as a big bang because of the "ripples" of the membrane. this is to say that in a membrane is there is space, but its empty, when these membranes touch the membrane itself is changed and this is where the matter comes from. something to remember is that these membranes do not actually exist as a physical obeject, they are entities. similar to fire, fire is not matter(1) but it still exists and we can see it and are effected by it. as horde tuaren said there could be things known as white holes which is like a link between universes, also known as Schwarzschild wormholes or Einstein-Rosen bridges. this ties into M theory by saying the membranes can all be linked by these white holes which could possible be the remains of a collison between two membranes. im not great at explaining this concept and sometimes i get confused with it, but i watched a program on it which went into alot more detail and explained it in a intresting and convising way. look up string theory and m theory on wikipedia for more info.

(1) while this is not a strickly correct statement it is sufficient for this example.

Level 32
Lately I have not had much time to comment on the lessons, Horde_Tauren, sorry.

This thread is really informing a lot of users, I hope that it will also get them to take their their binoculars or telescopes outside ad take a peek across the universe!

[broke= + REP]Thanks for continuing the lessons![/broke]

Level 3
I apologize for not posting any new lwssons lately. I am very, very busy and I promise I will continue the lessons as soon as possible!

Off topic, I also apologize for never submitting a story to the short story contest, though I had every intention to. Never finished it and it got too big.

I will be back soon as possible!:infl_thumbs_up:

Level 3
NASA Research Supports Presence of Large Oceans on Early Mars

Hey! Sry I don't have time to write a complete story on this subject by myself right now, so here's NASA's headline page for it! ALL CREDIT IS NASA'S, NOT MINE:thumbs_up:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
NASA Research Supports Presence of Large Oceans on Early Mars

MOFFETT FIELD, Calif. - NASA-funded astrobiologists at the University of California, Berkeley have discovered evidence supporting the presence of large oceans of liquid water on early Mars.

One of the most obvious surface features on Mars is a large plain surrounding the north pole that resembles a sediment-filled ocean basin with shoreline-like features. But the purported shoreline isn't level, an observation that has been used as an argument against the presence of an ocean. This new study shows that the undulations can be explained by movement of Mars' spin axis, and thus its poles, and that a liquid water ocean could indeed have existed there.The scientists' research is scheduled to be published in the June 14 issue of Nature magazine.

"This work strongly supports the idea that there were large standing bodies of water on the Martian surface," said Carl Pilcher, director of the NASA Astrobiology Institute at NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, Calif., which co-funded the study. "Interpreting this topography as an ancient northern ocean could have a great impact on current and future Mars exploration," he added.

"When the spin axis moves relative to the surface, the surface deforms, and that is recorded in the shoreline," said study co-author Michael Manga, a professor of Earth and planetary science at UC Berkeley, and member of the NASA Astrobiology Institute Team there. "On planets like Mars and Earth that have an outer shell or lithosphere that behaves elastically, the solid surface will deform differently than the sea surface, distorting the topography," added primary author Taylor Perron, a former UC Berkeley graduate student, now a postdoctoral fellow in Harvard University's Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences. Perron's calculations show that the resistance of the elastic crust could create elevation variations for topographic features like the shoreline, in accord with observations.

Perron, Manga and their colleagues calculate that on Mars, an initial shift of 50 degrees from today's pole would be sufficient to disrupt the shoreline. Manga theorizes that the shift that precipitated the tilt of Mars' rotation axis is related to the presence (and great mass) of an ocean at one of the poles. If a flood of water had filled an ocean at the northern pole on Mars about 3 billion years ago, its mass might have been enough to shift the pole 50 degrees to the south. Once the water disappeared, the pole could have shifted back.

Manga also said the source of the water, while unknown, may have produced a flood or deluge greater than any that have been observed on Earth, evidenced by huge canyons in the flanks of the Tharsis rise, site of the solar system's largest volcano.The water may have evaporated, but it may also have sunk back into underground dikes, frozen near the surface but possibly liquid below.

Additional coauthors of the study include Mark Richards, professor of Earth and planetary science and dean of physical sciences at UC Berkeley, Jerry Mitrovica from the Department of Physics at the University of Toronto in Ontario, Canada, and Isamu Matsuyama from the Department of Terrestrial Magnetism at the Carnegie Institution of Washington in Washington, D.C. The work is part of UC Berkeley's BioMars project, funded by NASA's Astrobiology Institute (http://cips.berkeley.edu/biomars/). The research also was supported by UC Berkeley's Miller Institute for Basic Research in Science, the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, and the NASA Mars Data Analysis Program.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hope you like it'!

Status
Not open for further replies.