• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ashenvale Forests. [Melee]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well....I have tested the map and would like to comment on it.

+The creeps were at good points.
-Very,very bad terrain.
-Why you put these rocks on the river?You destroy a lots of strategies.
-Not much good things on the terrain.you just put trees.

I would generally rate it 4/10.Sorry.:sad:
Look at other melee maps. Alot of them have nothing but trees. But I am a bad terrianer, so could you PLEASE re-terrian it to get ideas off of? The river would look blank, and I dont see a use to remove them, but I could. And when I played it, I ran out of creeps should I add more?

Level 21
I don't know if this is the updated version already, but:

Creep camps:
+ Placement: Balanced between the 2 players, balanced levels.
- Placement: There should be a direct connection from player one to player 2 without having to kill creeps first. Right now, every entrance is guarded by green creep camps. Try to make creep camps literally separate camps, not blocking an entrance.
- Some creepcamps (specifically the red ones) have mixed "races". e.g. a Thunderl izzard + 2 murloc + 2 trolls in 1 camp is strange, to say the least. Another example: 2 murlocs and a spider. Yet another one: furbolg + 2 troll + 2 murloc. Creep encampments should share something common. you should see them as animals: a dog and an elephant usually don't sleep together either. Even if they would, they wouldn't really communicate with each others like they would with their same species.

Environment: at large clusters of trees, you could place some rocks in the middle of them. Also add flowers, logs, shrubs, ... a bird or 2 wouldn't be too bad either.

Cliffs: Good placement overal, but the bottom player has a diagonal ramp at the entrance that looks odd because it's too straight. Also, it would cause a slight imbalance because the top player doesn't have a ramp at its base.

Neutral Units: Good placement of shops. A stag or 2 wouldn't be bad.

Tiling: In general nice tile variation, but sometimes the concentration of 1 tile is too large. e.g. Top river = completelly covered in dirt, the bottom one in leaves. Mix it.
Also try to put leaves near trees. Sometimes your leaves are in the middle of 2 treeclusters, while there are no leaves under the trees themselves...

Overall it's a good map, but there's place for improvement.

I don't know if this is the updated version already, but:

Creep camps:
+ Placement: Balanced between the 2 players, balanced levels.
- Placement: There should be a direct connection from player one to player 2 without having to kill creeps first. Right now, every entrance is guarded by green creep camps. Try to make creep camps literally separate camps, not blocking an entrance.
- Some creepcamps (specifically the red ones) have mixed "races". e.g. a Thunderl izzard + 2 murloc + 2 trolls in 1 camp is strange, to say the least. Another example: 2 murlocs and a spider. Yet another one: furbolg + 2 troll + 2 murloc. Creep encampments should share something common. you should see them as animals: a dog and an elephant usually don't sleep together either. Even if they would, they wouldn't really communicate with each others like they would with their same species.

Environment: at large clusters of trees, you could place some rocks in the middle of them. Also add flowers, logs, shrubs, ... a bird or 2 wouldn't be too bad either.

Cliffs: Good placement overal, but the bottom player has a diagonal ramp at the entrance that looks odd because it's too straight. Also, it would cause a slight imbalance because the top player doesn't have a ramp at its base.

Neutral Units: Good placement of shops. A stag or 2 wouldn't be bad.

Tiling: In general nice tile variation, but sometimes the concentration of 1 tile is too large. e.g. Top river = completelly covered in dirt, the bottom one in leaves. Mix it.
Also try to put leaves near trees. Sometimes your leaves are in the middle of 2 treeclusters, while there are no leaves under the trees themselves...

Overall it's a good map, but there's place for improvement.
Thanks, that helped alot! Thats the kind of feedback I want!

About creeps: Look at other melee maps and see if they mix types too. I though they did.

Allright, I updated the map!!! Play it again and tell me if theres anything I missed, please.

And you peoples should look at the melee maps that are used on b.net. Bandits with trolls, ogers with trolls....There are some mixes even if they arent as random and stupid as mine were.....And on some of them the tiles arent very randoming either. But I agree most maps are like that.

Level 8
And you peoples should look at the melee maps that are used on b.net. Bandits with trolls, ogers with trolls....There are some mixes even if they arent as random and stupid as mine were.....And on some of them the tiles arent very randoming either. But I agree most maps are like that.

And if all of these map makers decided to jump off a tall building, would you follow them?

Suggestions are given to help you you can accept them or not - its up to you.

Level 21
Allright, I updated the map!!! Play it again and tell me if theres anything I missed, please.

You're right, but what I meant was, don't mix too much, and mix the right species.
Ogres go together with forest trolls (the main reason is that they even lived together in wc2). A golem can basically be put in about any creepcamp because golems are beings that are subordinated to their creator, which can be about anyone...
Dark trolls would be better together with satyrs, because they're both sinister creatures. A dark troll and an ogre is ok, but it's not as good as a forest troll and an ogre.
A murloc is a watercreature. They should be placed near water. And in my experience, murlocs and spiders don't belong together... That's why some mixed camps are ok, some others aren't...
My personal golden rule is: Small creepcamps should always be made of 1 race. Larger camps can - but don't have to - be made of 2 races, but 2 at most. And those 2 races should have something in common.

I've viewed the newer version, and I have to say: much better. I'd enjoy playing this one.
There are still 2 minor points (I didn't mention last post):
1) The borders: Try to make the borders of the playable map area unaccessible for units (e.g. top left of map). I mean: the border of the map should be covered with either trees, cliffs/rocks or water. Water wouldn't be a great idea since your map is no island, and it already has 2 rivers. Trees would be ok, but there's already plenty of them, so I'd go for cliffs. Place some cliffs on the black border and maybe a small part of it on the playable map area.
2) the cliffs: e.g. the grass cliff at the goblin merchant. Try to make the cliff tile (grass in this case) blend with the surrounding tiles. right now you suddenly go from grass to dirt. Rough dirt or Grassy dirt would be ok at some small spots to make the transition look more naturally.

Like I said, these are only minor issues, ones I wouldn't even notice in the heat of a battle :)

Status
Not open for further replies.