• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ashbringer - Argent Book

This is my first big project... A four/five years project in the making, at least! It has 8 playable chapters and various interludes. There may be many typos and grammar mistakes, be patient please as I'm not a native English speaker. If you found any bug please report me and I will do my best to fix it and report me if I forgot to mention someone in credits. I hope you enjoy this campaign as much as I enjoyed making it.

THE STORY

It follows the tale of "the Ashbringer" comic book by Blizzard, from the creation of the mighty sword to its tragic corruption.

Characters

Alexandros Mograine - Paladin of the Silver Hand and a true hero of Lordaeron. He fought valiantly in the Second War and took for himself a powerful artifact that will become the ultimate weapon against the Undead.

Darion Mograine - Alexandros' youngest, has a pure and kind heart. He will do anything in his power to save his people and his family.

Renault Mograine - Alexandros' oldest son, he's very ambitious and wants to exceed his father.

Taelan Fordring - Taelan is a powerful Highlord in the Scarlet Crusade ranks, he left his father on bad terms but he's an idealist and a true hero.

Tirion Fordring - Taelan's father, he's a brave paladin but grew more and more disillusioned with his paladin companions. He left the world to spend his final days in solitude.

Saidan Dathrohan - Along with Alexandros, Tirion, and Uther Lightbringer he founded the Order of the Silver Hand but lately he has begun to behave strangely, maybe he has something to hide...

Isillien - Isillien is a powerful priest and he's the High Inquisitor in the Scarlet Crusade. Isillien has a strong belief: the enemy of humanity must be eradicated... at any cost!

PATCH COMPATIBILITY

1.24a - 1.28c

Version 1.5

-Added New Map
-Changed Hotkeys (QWER keys)
-New abilities for Taelan
-New custom models
-Difficulty level can be choosen for every map

-Minor Bug fixed
-New Models
-Reworked custom races (Argent Dawn in particular)
-Bug in Hearthglen Chapter fixed

190086-f0a9f6085a9b1dfb6cf7faa49b9515c6.jpg

190087-77b18fec06e1e8d74f2e372b34673b67.jpg

190088-dab22205ff8b41382f725d940dad962a.jpg

190089-338141872878f17db96a0e5d3817e006.jpg

190090-b1931ae1e0936adebdd7b77ebcfaee67.jpg

190091-3f8aebc64a49fceb1bed5859c4f06b41.jpg
190092-f614fecac750ca85ed9eaf27a736005b.jpg

Custom Models

Sunchips (Ashbringer corrupted and purified)
Mike (Chapel, Castle, House Ruins, Palisade)
Tillinghast (Isillien)
Stefan.K (Magni Bronzebeard, Draka, Bolvar Fordragon, Orc Militia)
Hayate (Medieval Ram)
Tranquil (Castle Props)
Geries (Fence)
Ket (Curtains)
Sin'dorei300 (Clock, Human symbol)
-=Emergenzy=- (Castle walls)
imforfun (Plant pot)
N.Knight (Dresser)
!!GORO!! (Globe)
Pvt.Toma (Picture frame)
Alethos (Female child)
kangyun (Saidan Dathrohan, Sally Whitemane)
Talavaj (Stone&Sword Assets)
dhguardianes (Rainbow)
Sfilip (Sheep)
Ujimasa Hojo (Mounted paladin)
olofmoleman (Moria props)
The_Silent (Dungeon walls)
Sellenisko (Dwarf death bringer)
Steamer (Sir Zeliek)
thesilent (Candels)
PROXY (Lady Blaumeux, Castillian)
WindexIsBack (Lights)
Mythic (Psyonic shots)
General Frank (Blood elf paladin)
Tamplier777 and HerrDave (Argent Dawn buildings)
Lender (Spider web)
HappyTauren (CityBuilding, Lordaeron Trees)
mr. Bob (Castle walls)
HerrDave (Rohan houses)
xYours Trulyx (Righteous Guard)
MC! (BlackHole model)
Mythic (Void Rift model)
Ket Golosov (City house)
Fersz (Balnazzar, Varimathras)
67Chrome (RunnerSkin)
Wulfrein and Ket (Scarlet Bishop)
LarsLushmane (ProtoLich)

Custom Skins

Blood Raven (Scarlet Crusade Captain, Commander, Bishop, Herod)

Custom Icons

Sunchips (Ashbringer pure and corrupted)
The Panda (Lightfall)
PrinceYaser (Volatile Light)
loktar (Garona)
Murlocologist (Dwarf and Blood elf)

Custom Spells

mckill2009 (Holy retribution)
G00dG4m3 (Lightfall)
KILLCIDE (Volatile Light)
HammerFist132 (Wave of souls)
D4RK_G4ND4LF (custom Harvesting Lumber System)
Manasurge (Celestial Beam)
Tank-Commander (Chaos Singularity Spell)
Ogre_Bob (Opportunity)

Custom Music

Total War Medieval 2
Assassin's Creed 2
Tiero (Warcraft 3 - Blackrock and roll remix)
Cranius (Darrowshire)
Contents

Ashbringer - Argent Book (Campaign)

Reviews
deepstrasz
There's a discrepancy between difficulty levels especially comparing boss battles (some could be more creative than just a strong hero casting spells; e.g. triggered events and whatnot) with melee heavy chapters. The first few maps are in dire need of...
Level 9
I'd recommend posting some screenshots of the campaign in order to entice people in :)
Thanks for the tip! I'll do as soon as I get the time to :)

We can't enter the Chapter on Naxxramas, what's wrong?
Strange, it works perfectly fine for me... You get an error message or the chapter simply doesn't load? Which patch are you playing with? Sorry you had trouble :(

Level 5
Why is the campaign not for version 1.31? I only have two versions
One is 1.31
And the other version 1.32.10
And that's it!

Level 3
I'm stuck on chapter 3, I saved the villagers and am now stuck in there, every exit from the village zone is either blocked by an invulnerable rock wall or an invisible wall.
I tried an ISEEDEADPEOPLE and I guess the next step would be to join the argent crusade camp but there's an invisible wall on the way.
I guess it's supposed to be that way until we save the villagers and there's an issue with the trigger ? Can you confirm ?
Or am I missing something ?
I use 1.29 by the way

Level 9
I'm stuck on chapter 3, I saved the villagers and am now stuck in there, every exit from the village zone is either blocked by an invulnerable rock wall or an invisible wall.
I tried an ISEEDEADPEOPLE and I guess the next step would be to join the argent crusade camp but there's an invisible wall on the way.
I guess it's supposed to be that way until we save the villagers and there's an issue with the trigger ? Can you confirm ?
Or am I missing something ?
I use 1.29 by the way
Whopsie! You're right that's a bug. I fixed it and now should work but you can continue from your save, just be sure to kill Isillien last...

Level 3
After the interlude folloing ch2, i'm sent back to the game menu. Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else? i thried to times, and i get the same result. It's the interlude where darion leaves the crusade and creates the argent dawn.

Level 9
After the interlude folloing ch2, i'm sent back to the game menu. Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else? i thried to times, and i get the same result. It's the interlude where darion leaves the crusade and creates the argent dawn.
Yes, I really don't know why but I can't load automatically the next chapter but the button for the next level should be visible anyway

Level 10
I dont know if anyone else has noticed this but there is a slight stutter in the chapters where you get the argent crusade buildings.
Like in chapter 3 before you kill Isllian or w/e his name was, it would stutter a tad every few seconds. And this would go away though once you are able to control the units and buildings.
Had this also happen in chapter 5 during the cutscene. I dont know if its cause of the version i am running or what

Level 2
Nice campaign mate!!!Could get some upgrades, like some new skins and some new levels. Also try to give alexandros new abilities and give a much more powerful item ashbringer both pure and corrupted. I liked the campaign but the story in wow showed an undead darion caring corrupted ashbringer. Nice campaign thought.

Level 9
When will it be released
You can already download it. It's playable only for 1.29 for now, I'm working on a version compatible for older versions. Being a custom campaign it's not compatible with Reforged though

Nice campaign mate!!!Could get some upgrades, like some new skins and some new levels. Also try to give alexandros new abilities and give a much more powerful item ashbringer both pure and corrupted. I liked the campaign but the story in wow showed an undead darion caring corrupted ashbringer. Nice campaign thought.
Thanx! I used default paladin spell for Alexandros 'cause lorewise he trained with Uther and the others Paladins, so it's a way to show a warrior rooted in "past traditions". The story so far follows the comic book released by Blizzard and it's set prior to WoW. I changed a little the plot though to be more challenging in a rts capaign blizzard-style :peasant-grin:

Sounds great. Just a small marketing tip. If the campaign is based on the comic I would emphasize your "marketing" more on it. Meaning, I would rename the campaign to "Ashbringer" and add an image from one of the comics as the thumbnail.
Thanx for the advice! You have a point indeed. I'll prepare a more captivating image for the thumbnail:peasant-wink:

Level 16
Well, I really liked the execution so far. Very nice campaign. Pros:
-Scarlet Crusade monastery interior design is just perfect. It really captures the religious and medieval ambiance well. I have high hope for this to be the best grace.
-Heroes spells are well-thought-out and nicely executed. I personally preferred Darion at so many missions. Ashbringer spells are well-balanced and nice. Yet another securing grace.
-Argent Crusade mission element is nice and well-grappled.
Suggestions:
-Techtree needs to be polished, imo. Argent Crusade units have just standard abilities of their respective races. I suggest adding different abilities to further carve out the techree. Also, what about adding racial, specific upgrade that affects all units at a high cost? This could be each unit gaining increased regeneration and attack damage against undead (since their primary goal is to eradicate undead). Also, Gryphon Rider is not benefitting from attack and armor upgrades; that was a minor bug. Also, I think paladins should be granted extra more spells; these could be "power word" where he casts autocast spell that increases damage and resistance, and maybe single-unit "resurrection". The promotion cost of footman to paladin can be increased to balance with this. I think archers should have active ability of elune's grace that increases the movement and attack speed that makes them even more effective. Same goes for Scourge and Scarlet Crusade; where the new units could be added.
-As for heroes, I think Kel'thuzad's model should be changed. He is Archlich after all and being given a purple lich model is underwhelming. I think demi-heroes should be resurrected at altar after completion of Naxxramas mission (and yeah, they also don't benefit from upgrades; a minor bug). OR each mission completed with them surviving can be rewarded with enhanced abilities and power (and, specifically at the last mission, what about making them full heroes?).
-Naxxramas mission should have more boss fights involving Cult of the Damned. The halls kinda felt empty. Also, what is the use of killing 'strange creature' in this mission? I thought killing all of them would gift nice item or artifact. Also, some boss fights should have more difficulty especially Scarlet Crusade xD. So far, these are my thoughts. I hope you will enhance it even more and make it perfect. Good luck! :thumbs_up:

Level 2
Thanx! I used default paladin spell for Alexandros 'cause lorewise he trained with Uther and the others Paladins, so it's a way to show a warrior rooted in "past traditions". The story so far follows the comic book released by Blizzard and it's set prior to WoW. I changed a little the plot though to be more challenging in a rts capaign blizzard-style :peasant-grin:
Nah mate he was a respected paladin maybe as strong as uther , but he deserves unique abilities and also a much more powerful ashbringer item. And the story its good a bit strange but its good. Try to make more levels ,that would be amazing.

Level 28
I played the first couple of minutes until I had to do something else. Hope you take feedback. The campaign has a lot of potential.
Initial thoughts:
  • Intro cinematic generally looks good when there are many people speaking. Many camera switches and mostly good camera placement. Some camera movement is a bit weird, e.g. in the beginning with Alex at the grave and those long unfocused movements with the tree blocking too much of the view.
  • Have not played the first map much but felt a bit too big for the objective.
  • Red fog/tint is a bit too strong for my taste.
  • Unless for some specific reason the Ashbringer should be a (passive) ability and not an item, just to save some inventory space.
  • Credits map looked fun^^

• Increase the far clipping for your cameras to avoid the black borders for terrain that is far away
    Example Before:
    1619694619599.png
  • Example After:
    1619694684714.png

Last edited:
Level 5
Why is the campaign not for version 1.31? I only have two versions
One is 1.31
And the other version 1.32.10
And that's it!

Level 5
Dude he does not let me play continue to play to the next stage straight out it seems to me that the company has bugs

Level 28
@Zydler

Potentially your naming conventions for the maps within your campaign, with hyphens and spaces cause some people to not be able to start maps.

This can be problematic when the map directory for players is quite long. I used to have this problem with my own campaigns.

Instead of using something like "01 - LoA 01.w3x" use something simple like "A01.w3x", "A02.w3x" etc.

Level 5
Dude, what do you recommend for this game? The company by names in new folders and if name or delete and reinstall? <

Level 28
wait if you can t start chapter 3 so why i don t have the same problem i mean we have the same version but i can play the chapter 3
Its likely the full path for the directory where the maps are is too long. Custom campaigns can only support a certain number of characters for paths and maps. And each PC is a bit different so your path may be shorter. Its likely this campaigns map names are too long. You could test this by renaming the campaign to something with a super long name, more than 64 characters or so.

Level 9
I do not produce the company I play with when a new company comes out
Sorry you had trouble Sergei 23, sadly I currently own only version 1.29 'cause I don't want to upgrade to Reforged. In my version every level load just fine, I'm not quite skilled in compatibility issues, right now I'm working on a version compatible with older versions and maybe an enhanced version. I'll follow OutsiderXE advice for the map naming and hopefully the issues would be resolved :peasant-sad:

Level 5
I have both

and Reforged and ver 1.31.1 and 1.26a

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_042921_151025_01.png
    WC3ScrnShot_042921_151025_01.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 130
  • WC3ScrnShot_042921_151025_01.png
    WC3ScrnShot_042921_151025_01.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 112
  • WC3ScrnShot_042921_151749_01.png
    WC3ScrnShot_042921_151749_01.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 121
  • WC3ScrnShot_042921_151815_02.png
    WC3ScrnShot_042921_151815_02.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
  • WC3ScrnShot_042921_151829_03.png
    WC3ScrnShot_042921_151829_03.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 134
Level 9
Dude I'm stuck in episode 7! I have come to the end and am not going through a stage at all!
If the game crash when you enter in the cave try the version I added for 1.26 compatibility. I found that the issues for not loading levels were some MP3 tracks so I cut custom music from this version. Hope you can play It without any more issues:sad: