• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Array Size Q

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Eg. Trying to index 20 units across 2 factions.

Method A
10 Human Units = index 1 -10
10 Orc Units = index 11-20

Method B
10 Human Units = index 100 -110
10 Orc Units = index 200 - 210

Id like to use Method B purely for organization reasons.
TLDR; is there any problem with having an array size in the 100s, even if most of the index isn't used?

I recall people posting in the past that they are dynamically expanded by powers of 2. Hence even knowing the maximum used index will still not reveal the actual underlying size, unless maybe some maths were performed on it. However why one would ever need to know this is beyond me.
it would mean it might do a tiny difference in memory if higher indices are used, but this, or unused indices are not any issue. Maybe hashtable can make sense, too, for your reasons.

Level 14
I am not aware of the implementation details of arrays in Jass.
If they are allocated in one go to the maximum size there is no difference between the two methods.
However, I remember reading they might be dynamically allocated in power of 2 steps. This means actually using a higher index as the base would "waste" the memory allocated for the indices under your first used index. It would also "waste" some indices if using method A would put you in a lower bracket.

Also be aware that the maximum array size is JASS_MAX_ARRAY_SIZE = 32768. This means the last valid index is 32767.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about it for your case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.