• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Are these things possibly to code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
On playdota.com i wanted to suggest some spellideas and spellremakes, but first of all i wanted to know, if they are codable.

Dynamically modifying attack range.
Detecting whether damage comes from spells or from attacks.
Detecting critical strikes/bashes/evasion.
Spell Reflection.

Level 37
1. You can toggle between two values, but there's not a good way to change it to any freely chosen value.

2. Only if you trigger all spells and their damage.

3. There's not a good way unless you trigger the abilities.

4. You need to trigger all spells in order for that to work.

Level 31
1. possible with tech. Actually, I think there is an ability that increases attack range (default flagged for air, check orb of fire). The standard for modifying stats on a unit (like attack and etc).

2. This can tell whether damage came from a physical attack, a spell, or code.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/submissions-414/extension-advdamageevent-187241/

3. no

4. 100% possible using http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/submissions-414/extension-advdamageevent-187241/

A template for GUI for http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/submissions-414/extension-advdamageevent-187241/ is somewhere on the second page of the thread.

AdvDamageEvent is the only library that can tell between all 3. There is another at wc3c that was made after AdvDamageEvent that can tell if an attack was physical or not.

Level 15
Dynamically modifying attack range.
No you can't, you can only:

1. Add to a units attack range using the upgrade or item (but you cannot remove what you've added)
2. Switch between two different attack ranges using the two different attack settings of the unit

Detecting whether damage comes from spells or from attacks.
Possible but only using a custom damage system or damage event system.

Detecting critical strikes/bashes/evasion.
You cannot detect the GUI ones (which dota uses). You would have to set up your own critical strike/bash/evasion code using a custom damage-handling system.

Spell Reflection.
It depends what you mean by this. To actually "reflect" the full effect and damage of a spell, you need to custom-code every spell and go from there. A good 80% of DOTA abilities are just object editor ones so this would be impossible.

On playdota.com i wanted to suggest some spellideas and spellremakes

Icefrog isn't exactly known for his coding capabilities so I doubt he will attempt to implement any of this, but good luck ^-^

Level 15
100% untrue. AdvDamageEvent can achieve this just fine

So if I have the silence ability on a hero and I silence an area with 4 enemy units (one of which has spell reflect). 3 of the enemy units will be silenced, the one with spell refect won't, and my hero will be silenced.

I don't understand how a system could handle that but if yours does, then that is very cool.

wolfman said:
Cant you just change a units acquisition range to adjust attack range? As long as the attack range is higher it should work

well, the unit won't auto-attack at ranges longer than the new Acquisition range, but you can still order it to attack a unit and will still use its real range...

@Koalovoice: the most probable reason why things like that aren't implemented yet in DotA is that Icefrog doesn't want to go through all the trouble of remaking most of the spells into triggered ones...

Status
Not open for further replies.