• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] AOE Upon death damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
how can i change the effect of the spell AOE Upon death damage?
i have an ability that triggers it like this.

• Ability
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to xd (Neutral Hostile)
    • Actions
      • Sound - Play SargerasLaugh <gen>
      • Sound - Play Warning <gen>
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 20, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Wait 0.10 seconds
          • Unit - Create 1 dummy for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit - Turn collision for (Last created unit) Off
          • Unit - Add a 5.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Move To ((Position of (Triggering unit)) offset by 800.00 towards ((Real((Integer A))) x 260.00) degrees)
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Center of (Playable map area)) offset by 800.00 towards ((Real((Integer A))) x 260.00) degrees) using Objects\Spawnmodels\Other\NeutralBuildingExplosion\NeutralBuildingExplosion.mdl
          • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but I'll answer with what I think you want.

Give the dummy unit an ability that targets a point, something like Carrion Swarm or base it off of Channel if you know how to use that.

Make this ability do nothing, so it deals 0 damage, has 0 mana cost, 0 second cooldown, targets allowed set to None, and most importantly set it's Cast Range to something small like 10.

Then in the trigger instead of ordering the Dummy to move to the point, order it to cast Carrion Swarm there instead.

Then make a new trigger and do something like this:
  • Events:
  • A unit begins casting an ability
  • Conditions:
  • Ability being cast equal to The Dummy Ability
  • Actions:
  • Pick every unit within X range of position of casting unit -> Deal damage to picked unit
  • Create Explosion special effect at position of casting unit
  • Remove casting unit
This way when the Dummy reaches it's destination it will explode and deal damage.

Last edited:
Level 8
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but I'll answer with what I think you want.

Give the dummy unit an ability that targets a point, something like Carrion Swarm or base it off of Channel if you know how to use that.

Make this ability do nothing, so it deals 0 damage, has 0 mana cost, 0 second cooldown, targets allowed set to None, and most importantly set it's Cast Range to something small like 10.

Then in the trigger instead of ordering the Dummy to move to the point, order it to cast Carrion Swarm there instead.

Then make a new trigger and do the standard ability setup:

A unit begins casting an ability

Ability being cast equal to The Dummy Ability

Pick every unit within X range of casting unit
Deal damage to picked unit
i want the Dmg AOE to make an effect ik how to deal dmg

Level 8

Then make a new trigger and do the standard ability setup:

A unit begins casting an ability

Ability being cast equal to The Dummy Ability

Pick every unit within X range of casting unit
Deal damage to picked unit
like explosion effect

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I don't understand. The ability won't play it's Art - Caster animation?

The special effect in your trigger is created every 0.10 seconds at the center of the map offset by 800.00. The Art - Caster effect has nothing to do with that, they're two completely different things.

I don't know where you got the idea that creating a Special Effect at a point would be linked to the ability in any way, shape, or form. You aren't changing the Art - Caster field with triggers, you're simply creating a special effect at some Point in the map.

Maybe you want this?
  • Actions
    • Ability - Set Ability: (Unit: (Triggering unit)'s Ability with Ability Code: (Ability being cast))'s String Level Field: Caster ('acat') of Level: ((Level of (Ability being cast) for (Triggering unit)) - 1) to Objects\Spawnmodels\Other\NeutralBuildingExplosion\NeutralBuildingExplosion.mdl
I never tested it, but it should change the Art - Caster field of your ability to whatever special effect you type in. The Level needs to be set to 1 less than you would normally use, because it's Indexed starting at 0. This means that if you want to change the Art - Caster field for level 1, you need to put 0 in the Level field. Again, this might not even work as Blizzard hasn't properly implemented these yet.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    177.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.png
    2.png
    955.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Change Caster Art.w3m
    16 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Level 8
I don't understand. The ability won't play it's Art - Caster animation?

The special effect in your trigger is created every 0.10 seconds at the center of the map offset by 800.00. The Art - Caster effect has nothing to do with that, they're two completely different things.

I don't know where you got the idea that creating a Special Effect at a point would be linked to the ability in any way, shape, or form. You aren't changing the Art - Caster field with triggers, you're simply creating a special effect at some Point in the map.

Maybe you want this?
  • Actions
    • Ability - Set Ability: (Unit: (Triggering unit)'s Ability with Ability Code: (Ability being cast))'s String Level Field: Caster ('acat') of Level: ((Level of (Ability being cast) for (Triggering unit)) - 1) to Objects\Spawnmodels\Other\NeutralBuildingExplosion\NeutralBuildingExplosion.mdl
I never tested it, but it should change the Art - Caster field of your ability to whatever special effect you type in. The Level needs to be set to 1 less than you would normally use, because it's Indexed starting at 0. This means that if you want to change the Art - Caster field for level 1, you need to put 0 in the Level field. Again, this might not even work as Blizzard hasn't properly implemented these yet.
The AOE Upon death damage Spell Doesn't do the correct Effect i want it to.

Like this When the unit dies it triggers the spell Simple.

But the Effect i want in the ability is not showing.

like this.

Screenshot - eb3078a164730f359499855cd6960930 - Gyazo

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Ah, I see now. You're using the PASSIVE ability called AOE damage upon death and the Art fields don't work for that ability.

Okay, well since your unit is dying in order to trigger the ability, use "A unit dies" as the Event.
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
      • (Level of AOE damage upon death (Sapper) for (Triggering unit)) Greater than 0
    • Actions
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Triggering unit)) using Objects\Spawnmodels\Other\NeutralBuildingExplosion\NeutralBuildingExplosion.mdl

Level 8
Ah, I see now. You're using the PASSIVE ability called AOE damage upon death and the Art fields don't work for that ability.

Okay, well since your unit is dying in order to trigger the ability, use "A unit dies" as the Event.
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
      • (Level of AOE damage upon death (Sapper) for (Triggering unit)) Greater than 0
    • Actions
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Triggering unit)) using Objects\Spawnmodels\Other\NeutralBuildingExplosion\NeutralBuildingExplosion.mdl
Works! Thanks! 2+ Rep

Status
Not open for further replies.