• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

AoE Entangling Roots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So, I've seen plenty of threads asking about this but I've never seen a thread actually explain how to do it, I had the idea of using the Blizzard ability and swapping out the slow effect with an Entangling Roots effect, and that seems to be what most people attempted. The roots will be applied to enemies but they will continue to move uninhibited.

I've also tried creating an alternate form of the Bash buff with the roots model applied to the origin but that didn't seem to trigger any sort of stun.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Level 11
Seems the easiest thing to do would be to make a channel based ability with an aoe target, then have dummy casters actually cast entangling roots on things. Only downside I can think of is that the spellshield amulet would block it when it doesn't typically block aoe spells.

Level 28
You have two options, you can either base you spell on the Inferno ability and replace the inferno unit with a dummy unit and set its duration to 0.01. After that, you change the stun buff effect with entangling roots, or you can base you spell on War Stomp ability and replace the buff effect.
Now about the damage over time, I think the only way you can do this is by triggering it...

Level 4
You can dummy cast Ensnare instead of entangling roots if you dont mind periodically triggering the damage cause it will affect units with spell immunity.

you should know (if you don't know Already) that buff are on for cosmetic effects and have no effect of the unit beyond attachment effects, icon and sound

Level 2
You have two options, you can either base you spell on the Inferno ability and replace the inferno unit with a dummy unit and set its duration to 0.01. After that, you change the stun buff effect with entangling roots, or you can base you spell on War Stomp ability and replace the buff effect.
Now about the damage over time, I think the only way you can do this is by triggering it...

This one came real close to working, got the model set up, got a dummy unit, got the stun set up, but I can't seem to be able to change the stun buff on the units effected, I've changed the applicable fields in the "art" category, (even the effects) with no real change.

you should know (if you don't know Already) that buff are on for cosmetic effects and have no effect of the unit beyond attachment effects, icon and sound

Damn, had a feeling that was the case.

Do you want entangling roots, or stun?
Rooting does not silence the enemy, just locks them in place and prevents autoattacks.

At any rate, you could simply abuse the channel ability, like explained here:
Single Target to AoE Skill?

I'm partial to Rooting but stun could work too, but I'll be sure to read up on that thread.

Level 2
Ok, I'm close.

Vinetangle.png

I can get the dummy units to spawn in the AoE, the only problem is that they don't cast Entangling Roots.

Level 15
It's not Tree of Life entangle, but Keeper of the Grove entangle. Unless of course you want to entangle gold mines.

I would not use "begins channeling" but rather "starts the effect of an ability".
Make sure all requirement for casting the spell are met: mana, cooldown, valid target, cast range, vision, requirements, ...

Level 2
Can't believe I got those mixed up, but I swapped out the abilities.

So I've given the Dummy units 500 initial mana and 500 maximum mana, but they seem to be unwilling to cast.

I'm testing this on two groups, a Footman + a Skeleton, and a group of Ice Trolls.

Level 9
The dummy unit should have the proper cast points and other properties.
Use [trigger][/trigger] for GUI code instead of a screenshot.

Also, you used the wrong Unit Group action. its should be do (Actions) and not do (Action).
The For Loop isn't necessary unless you want a limit to the number of rooted units. However, that loop isn't the right way to go about it (the right way would be something like incrementing an integer per unit picked, and skip remaining actions when it reaches a certain number).

• Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within...) and do (Actions)
    • Actions
      • Set Point2= ...
      • etc.

Level 2
There we go! Now she's working just fine, I'll just need to appropriately tweak the dummy units so they're left unseen, thanks a lot ofr all your help, especially you Light, I didn't know I could upload Triggers like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.