• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[JASS] Any current JASS tutorials?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to learn about the more advanced approaches to JASS...

1. struct versus scope
2. method versus function
3. A list of codes such as .allocate() and .destroy() (I don't know how many of these there are or how they can be used)
4. library globals versus globals (if there is even a difference)
5. More about libraries...

The current JASS tutorials only define basic approaches, or are outdated...

Edit: 6. What about extends array and defaults nothing? I want to know where I can find a list of things like this that I can tack onto a struct...

Last edited:
Level 10
1. struct is like a Java/C++/C# Class. It can hold datafields and methods.
scope is nothing more than giving all the functions inside of it a prefix... functions inside the scope can refer to each other directly, functions outside the scope need to use scopename_functionname.

2. methods are just functions inside a struct. They are referred to by structname.methodname.

3. I am only aware of .create() and .destroy(). I think there is a .execute() but I dunno what it does.

4. There is no difference. Its just where you feel like declaring those globals.

5. The manual that came with Newgen, though I found it totally useless and learnt more from reading other peoples code.

Well, I do mean globals inside of libraries.

the globals keyword lets you make global variables and use them without the udg_ prefix...

example:

JASS:
globals
  real x //Now this real variable called x is a global variable meaning you can access it from other triggers and any function inside this library/scope...
//now if you put the keyword private, then you wont be able to access this variable from other triggers
  private real x //Since you used the keyword private, you can only use this global variable inside this scope/library
endglobals

I know globals =)

I just didn't know if there were two sets of globals - one for the game and one for the library.

Blizzard's Variable Editor is real trash. I hate the udg_ prefix. They should have given you an option to include udg_. Same with when you click a unit in the Trigger Editor - do we really need gg_unit_hk10_0007?? Why can't it just be hk10_0007...

Also, it's a problem that locals can't be accessed without the Custom script: line in GUI. Only having access to globals is problematic when trying to help noobs with something complex.

Anyway, back on point, I would like to know more about the capabilities of structs... that tutorial doesn't help. He jumps around with "data" and "info" and what-not... blew my mind. I could count the illustrations that made sense to me on one hand.

I know globals =)

I just didn't know if there were two sets of globals - one for the game and one for the library.

Blizzard's Variable Editor is real trash. I hate the udg_ prefix. They should have given you an option to include udg_. Same with when you click a unit in the Trigger Editor - do we really need gg_unit_hk10_0007?? Why can't it just be hk10_0007...

oh... ^^...

basically globals are for the whole game unless you use private (though I think there's a way to access private variables from other triggers)... ^^

Level 16
structs are more like structs in C#/C++... a struct is a data holder
methods are those in Jass who are used in structs instead of functions...methods can be static like in Java/C++ no this pointer and accesable from all instances of the struct

.allocate() returns an instance of the struct where .destroy() or .deallocate() //.destroy() automaticly calls .deallocate() recycles the instance

for more information just read through the JassHelper Tutorial -> Click Me

I know globals =)

Also, it's a problem that locals can't be accessed without the Custom script: line in GUI. Only having access to globals is problematic when trying to help noobs with something complex.

Anyway, back on point, I would like to know more about the capabilities of structs... that tutorial doesn't help. He jumps around with "data" and "info" and what-not... blew my mind. I could count the illustrations that made sense to me on one hand.

udg_ is just user-defined globals and gg_ is generated globals. I guess blizzard just likes their globals to have specific prefixes. :ugly:

http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=63595

^Quick intro to structs. vJASS acts as kind of a GUI for actual coding. Structs would be nothing if not for global declaration. Without global declaration, and even with global declaration, vanilla structs are ugly global array systems. They are just very confusing to code with, that's why most of us used simpler systems like local handle vars and all that, but mostly since importing globals in JASS is a pain.

Ok, well structs make for kind of a clean interface. They allow us to neatly organize members and allow for easy encapsulation.
JASS:
struct Haha 
endstruct

That declares a struct.

JASS:
struct Haha
    real myReal
endstruct

That is how you'd add a member. You can also add prefixes to it, eg: private and public. Private makes it so that you cannot access the struct member outside of the struct, and public allows for easy access outside the struct. However, you don't really need the prefix at all if you don't want to, it is usually just to avoid naming collisions and allow what you want to be used outside the struct:
JASS:
struct Haha
    public real a //You can use this both outside and in the struct
    private real b //You can use this only inside the struct
    real c //Normal struct member.
endstruct

Now, you'll find out how to use structs outside of the struct and inside the struct.

Outside the struct, you'll need a normal create:
JASS:
struct Hehe 
    real x
endstruct
function CreateOneHehe takes nothing returns nothing
    local Hehe H = Hehe.create() //We use .create()
    set H.x = 0 //We use "H." to state that it is a member of the struct
endfunction

Local Hehe H. In normal JASS, it is local "type" "name". This follows the same method, kinda. Basically, pretend Hehe is a new type that you can use. (It is actually an integer) Then you type the "name". The name can be anything you want it to be. In functions outside of structs, you'll use the "name" followed by a "." to declare its members.
Example, this WON'T work:
JASS:
function CreateOneHehe takes nothing returns nothing
    local Hehe H = Hehe.create()
    set Hehe.x = 0 //syntax error
endfunction

You might've noticed that there is .allocate() and .create(). Why can't you use them interchangeably? They call the same function, but if you use it outside the function it will cause a syntax error since the allocate function is private. They both call the same function, but just remember that .allocate() is only within the struct, and .create() is outside or inside the struct. It isn't really creating some sort of struct object that was magically added to the editor, it is merely retrieving a unique id.

Anyway, why methods and not functions? They are the same. But people prefer to use methods, a lot since you can use private members and they are associated with the struct. Think of them as just functions that love the struct and are endlessly bound to the struct.
JASS:
struct Conflict
    method HahaICanUsePrivateMembers takes nothing returns nothing
    endmethod
    method IAmBoundToMyStruct_ILoveIt takes nothing returns nothing
    endmethod
endstruct
function IFeelLonely takes nothing returns nothing
endfunction

Normal methods, basically ones without any "static" prefix, are associated with an instance. People use methods for this neat feature, where you can use "this" or a mere "." as a prefix for members. "This" kind of acts as a reference to this struct, it points to the current instance.
JASS:
struct Jooboojoo
    real x
    real y
    method ThisInstance takes nothing returns nothing
        set this.x = 0 
        set .y = 0 //legal, these both cause no errors
    endmethod
    method Jooboo takes nothing returns nothing
        local thistype this = thistype.allocate() //you can use "thistype"
        //to refer to the current struct, this is useful in static methods
    endmethod
endstruct

The difference between "static" methods and non-static methods is that static methods are NOT associated with an instance. These are more like normal functions than normal methods are. Now you must be thinking wtf are the point of these? Well, first off, they can be used as code while normal methods can't.
JASS:
struct Whee
    public real a
    private real b
    static method FunFunStaticMethod takes nothing returns nothing //you don't have to name your methods like this
    //also, when using callback for codes, it must take nothing and return nothing, like normal syntax
        local Whee x = Whee.create() //you can create them like this, or with a mere create()
        local thistype this = thistype.allocate() //or something like this
        //^this allows you to use "." to refer to members again, you can't normally do that
        //in static methods without declaring it
        set .a = 0 //legal
        set x.b = 0 //legal
    endmethod
endstruct
function Argh takes nothing returns nothing
    call TimerStart(CreateTimer(),0.035,true,function Whee.FunFunStaticMethod)
endfunction

Static methods also let you override the create functions.
JASS:
scope MySpell initializer Init
struct Whee
    unit caster
    unit target
    real sourceX
    real sourceY
    method onDestroy takes nothing returns nothing
        call RemoveUnit(.target)
//just an example, this is called when you use the .destroy()
    endmethod 
    method DoCoolSpellFunctions takes nothing returns nothing
        //do awesome spell functions
        call this.destroy()
        //calls the onDestroy function
    endmethod
    static method create takes unit cast, unit tar returns Whee
//now creating makes a difference
        local thistype this = thistype.allocate()
//we use allocate, since create will call this function and require arguments
        set .caster = cast
        set .target = tar
        set .sourceX = GetUnitX(cast)
        set .sourceY = GetUnitY(cast)
        return this
    endmethod
endstruct
private function Cond takes nothing returns boolean
    if GetSpellAbilityId() == 'A000' then
        call Whee.create(GetTriggerUnit(),GetSpellTargetUnit()).DoCoolSpellFunctions()
        return true
    endif
    return false
endfunction
private function Init takes nothing returns nothing
    local trigger t = CreateTrigger()
    call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ(t,EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_SPELL_EFFECT)
    call TriggerAddCondition(t,Condition(function Cond))
    set t = null
endfunction
endscope

This way, you can do your initial settings organized into a neat function. This will allow you to easily set your members. If you want, you could probably do a big majority of your spell in the create method if it allows for it.

Well, I hope that gives you a basic understanding of them and how to use them. You should install WE and Wc3 though again, since it is much easier to code vJASS with plenty of tests rather than doing it freehand, otherwise it might get messy and you could easily make mistakes.

Ultimately, I'm using my knowledge of JASS to expand my skills in all types of programming... having the game installed is a problem for me because I lose myself in it, so a reinstall is not going to help my unemployment.

When this 24 hr. wait period is up, I'll give you more Rep, because that post is a huge help! I understand almost everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.