• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Annoying Vertex Modifier problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I'm having a weird problem with Vertex Modify, where sometimes it wont let me extrude things, and it then crashes with "Run time error '6' Overflow"

It makes it pretty much impossible to make anything

I just started modeling and idk if i'm doing something wrong

Level 7
Exactly what 3d modeling program are you using?

Hmm but it seems like a compile error during installation. A simple re-installation should fix this. Also do you have Visual Studio 2008 by any chance? If you do this would help debug this error significantly if it continues.

Level 7
Visual Basic 2008 or not, its fine. Anyways, while youre reinstalling it, what operating system do you have? Please also explain exactly how you get the problem? When you open the program up, Saving/Opening a model? Perhaps randomly when you do a certain action/event?

If the problem persists, please try the following below:
1) Right Click> Properties> Run as Administrator
2) Read This and follow the instructions
2) Download the files Here and run it, perhaps your are lacking system requirements for the program to appropriately run.

For vista try this: (Maybe work with other os?)
Control Panel Classical View>Regional and Language Settings>Formats Tab>Change YourLanguage(YourCountry) to English(USA).

Exactly what 3d modeling program are you using?

Hmm but it seems like a compile error during installation. A simple re-installation should fix this. Also do you have Visual Studio 2008 by any chance? If you do this would help debug this error significantly if it continues.

That program does not need any installation. Better get to know about what you are talking about before giving insufficient answers.

I'm having a weird problem with Vertex Modify, where sometimes it wont let me extrude things, and it then crashes with "Run time error '6' Overflow"

It makes it pretty much impossible to make anything

I just started modeling and idk if i'm doing something wrong

There, he said it in the first post.

using Oinkerwinkle Vertex Modifier

I don't think i have Visual Studio 2008

I'll try re downloading it

Better do that. You also might wanna have a look here:
http://www.oinkerwinkle.com/tools/tutorialrunprogram.html

Level 7
I tried re-downloading it, but to no avail...

I have Windows Vista, and use a Dell (lol) Inspiron 525 i believe

The problem occurs after a short while of model editing/making where if you try to extrude something, it will not show any change, however according to the program, it did extrude it.

If you continue to attempt to extrude, it will crash under: "Run time error '6' Overflow"

This problem occurs at random (as far as i know) and occasionally happens with move etc...

+rep for helping

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,529
Level 7
Better do that. You also might wanna have a look here:
http://www.oinkerwinkle.com/tools/tutorialrunprogram.html
I dont want to pry and be defensive or anything but I have already provided that link as stated.
2) Read This and follow the instructions

And I DO know what I am talking about, I forgot that oinkerwinkle is just a simple download and use right off the bat. Reinstallation was the only mistakened suggestion I made. As far as Im concerned, I wasnt the only one that made an insufficient answer...

Edit: Did you try the 3 steps I posted above?

maybe that error has 2 do with the model. whenever i made/edited model in Milkshape (or other programs) and opened them as .mdl files (it's equal if i imported them in Magos and saved them as .mdl or if i converted them with any of the converting tools of THW) it crushed down with *Tuntime Error 5*.....actually it is something way u r dealing with

Level 26
the problem is mainly the fact that the extrude tool is really really bugged in vertex modifier. If you want to create custome meshes with it I suggest to cnp a lot of planes and weld them afterwards.
That way you won't get any bug

Level 7
Ok thanks for all the help guys :D
I tried all the things you suggested, atomsferic, but it didn't work.

I'll try "MLDVis" when I get the chance.

I used to do all my early models in vertex modify too, and i remember that the overflow issue usually was connected to something special you did, like extruding a surface that lacked a side (i don't remember what it was, really).
Another problem i know occur oftenly is that the extrude tool sometimes misses a polygon, creating an ugly hole in the mesh; as DonDustin said, the tool is very, very bugged.

@Atmosferic: changing language settings or decimal symbol is only if the program won't start at all; since the program won't start with the wrong decimal symbol, it can't be related to this error.

Vertex modify is a very primitive and buggy tool, but it can actually be a very useful free alternative for making simple, static models. What you have to remember though is to save the model often, and also oftenly take a look at it in magos every now and then to make sure the mesh is not messed up. You can also make models in several steps, and connect them as geosets, and finally merge them together. This can help in allowing you to UV objects from several angles. Just remember to merge the geosets, since too many of them can cause graphical bugs in warcraft.

I've done so many models in that program, and after some frustration, they usually turn out good. Most models i did for my halo map, like the wall doodads and the antenna thing i had in the screenshot for my flood model, not to mention the needler and the spiker, are made in VM. I've never tried MDLVis though, perhaps it's better.

Level 7
I used to do all my early models in vertex modify too, and i remember that the overflow issue usually was connected to something special you did, like extruding a surface that lacked a side (i don't remember what it was, really).
Another problem i know occur oftenly is that the extrude tool sometimes misses a polygon, creating an ugly hole in the mesh; as DonDustin said, the tool is very, very bugged.

@Atmosferic: changing language settings or decimal symbol is only if the program won't start at all; since the program won't start with the wrong decimal symbol, it can't be related to this error.

Vertex modify is a very primitive and buggy tool, but it can actually be a very useful free alternative for making simple, static models. What you have to remember though is to save the model often, and also oftenly take a look at it in magos every now and then to make sure the mesh is not messed up. You can also make models in several steps, and connect them as geosets, and finally merge them together. This can help in allowing you to UV objects from several angles. Just remember to merge the geosets, since too many of them can cause graphical bugs in warcraft.

I've done so many models in that program, and after some frustration, they usually turn out good. Most models i did for my halo map, like the wall doodads and the antenna thing i had in the screenshot for my flood model, not to mention the needler and the spiker, are made in VM. I've never tried MDLVis though, perhaps it's better.

Ok, yah i think its a problem with missing a side, because the "base models" package, lacked a cube, so i had to make one from a plane... however if you veiw it in magos, its missing a side :/

You can use two-sided materials to compensate that little issue.

You will still get the overflow error.
If the mesh is missing a plane, the only thing you can do is either try to undo as much as you can until the point before you extruded the faulty plane, or else simply redo it all from scratch.

Level 7
Looking at other options, Couldn't find a MDLVis or Gmax download :/ and I have no idea what VM is... any other free model editing programs? I tried blender, and liked it, but couldn't export the models.

Status
Not open for further replies.