• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Animating Textures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hey, I'm trying to conserve the filesize for a map, and I want to avoid repeating the model twice to have a different texture. So my plan was to just repeat the original animation, and then have one of the sets all Alternate animations.
So, is there a way to change the texture that it uses so that the normal animations have the one texture, while the Alternates all have a seperate animation?

Level 6
are you using max 5? 'Cause if you do, I know a way that might work.

I have 5 and 8. Anything would be appreciated, as the map is already pretty crowded with other models and doubling them up isn't a good option methinks.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
EDIT: SHIT, this method below doesn't work, I just tried it! What the fuck, looks like the retarded wc3 engine doesn't follow any parameter other than the playback rate...what a piece of crap! I'll think of something else...

YAY! Try this then:
1. Make a temporary folder
2. Copy your 2 textures there
3. Rename them to be in a sequence, for example "texture01", "texture02"
4. When you assign the texture for your material, pick the first texture and check the "Sequence" checkbox. A pop-up will appear after you hit open with sequence properties, and from there make sure you check "Include image path" 'else it won't work.
5. Now expand the Time rollout and from the End Contition section check the Hold radio button and now at Start Frame enter the number of the frame where you'd like the transition to happen.

This should do the job.

Level 6
Yeah, Warcraft's engine pisses me off more than anything. I was thinking of doing something more along the lines of putting both textures onto it, but have one of them hidden for the first half of the sequence, then when it repeats put the other onto it. But I don't think that would work anyway, and Warcraft probably wouldn't do it right even if it did work in 3DSM.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
damn, this just SUCKS! I tried another method that I thought it could work, and it does in max, but not in the bloody shitty game!
I tried to combine 2 textures into one, putting them side by side so instead of having two 256x256 px textures, you have one 512x256 texture. Then in max you set the U tiling to 0.5 and then the U offset to 0.5 for one texture and -0.5 for the other one (which can be animated, of course) . I thought that the shitty wc3 engine could recognize at least these basic parameters but no...I thought the controllers for those parameters were something wc3 can't work with, so I tried both TCB, Linear, Bezier etc all bloody things and still doesn't work, so wc3 is simply retarded...I'm running out of ideas here...

yes, you can animate the texture id, but only as NoInterpolation. The problem, though is that he needs to copy the animations all over to make the alternative animations mirror the normal anims, so at the end he only saves the space wasted by the extra geosets.

Varine, I suggest you convert all the animations to linear controllers except for NoAInt animations.

Status
Not open for further replies.