• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[3D Art] Animating a model

Level 18
Thankyou for opening this thread and welcome to this thread:)

Tools you'll need!
1.MdlVIS
2.War3ModelEditor(Optional)
3.Knowledge of Bone/joints frame and animations!

Okay. First of all.. open up an unanimated model with no bones or a bone..
go to step 2 if it has bones and attached already

STEP1
If it has no bones, open it with War3ModelEditor, and add a bone by opening a Node Manager then add a bone name the bone ROOT or Root or root or vice versa. Pick multiple geosets okay!!!

STEP2
After that..open up MDLVis then open the model just now you added a bone use MDLvis to add more bones! Press F3 to go to the animate mode and click at the "Bones" not the movement or animation
then select the pointer button (there is an attaching button and a re-attach button)
add bones then rename it at the top right corner of it then enter to rename it.
Then after renaming the bone, click again to ensure that you did not click other buttons

STEP3
now it is time to ATTACH the bones to the Vertices ^.^
click at the bone that you want to attach e.g Upper Arm1
select the area you want to attach, example:
you want the HandBone1 to get attached to the vertices of the bone.
then you click the HandBone1, then then you selected the hand part(either left or right) then click Re Attach vertices (to know which one is the attach/re-attach button , point your pointer to the button!!)
NOTE:if you wrong attached something, when you go to movement mode, some parts will get moving too example like, you rotated the hand left, but the arm parts get moved to! so be careful!

STEP4
After attaching an attaching..
go to the Animation and create an animation! click the CREATE button then name the animation!If you want to make a stand animation.name it stand!
THEN select the STAND animation then right click and select Add Frame , put in 2000 for a very slow animation, put in 1000 for a slow anim, put in 750 for a fast anim! 500 for a very fast anims and go to movement mode!

STEP5-ANIMATIONS
now make a pose for it!
1.Click at the corner of the frame bar!
1-1.click the bone you want it to move!
1-2.click rotate/move
1-3.rotate it either X.Y.Z or move it either X.Y.Z
1-4.copy and paste it to the corner of the>>> bar
1-5.click at the center of the bar if you want the anims to go like breath in and breath out 0.5 seconds each.
1-6.click at a bone then move it up, then copy and paste it at the current bar so no problems found
1-7.if it won't move after you clicked |>(play) then try clicking at the last/beginning frame then click at a bone then move it down/up then copy and paste it to the beginning/last

i'll tell more details and improve this at saturday! can't be at my own comp since i'm away for now :(

Sorry guys, i'm busy, so i will update this tutorial this Saturday!

do not graveyard this yet since i am stil making it :)

Last edited: