• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Milkshape Tutorial for using Blizzard-animations - [WIP]

Level 16

Blizzard animation Tutorial with Milkshape

by Rizz_Boomer

Difficult
4/10

Index

-About this Tutorial
-Lets begin
-Things in Magos
-Looking in Milkshape
-Getting it animated!

About this Tutorial

I remembered the awkward progress I had with giving one of my models some basic animations, and dont want anybody else to figure out how its supposed to be. Before anybody asks... NO! This tutorial is NOT - I repeat: "NOT!" - a way to get animated models imported. Also I WONT show you how to model!
Its more to show Milkshape users how you can add animations to your finished model. Im demonstrating this while im working on my current unit, wich also needs some Blizz animations.

Lets Begin

First of all there is a small list of things you need:

Also a Warcraft 3 Model you wish to use would be nice.

well thats it so far.

Things in Magos

First of all, we need to know the animations we want! Open in Magos some models and find the right one. In my case it was the Bandit.

Next lets take a look on the "node manager". For that click on "Windows" and select there the "Nodemanager"

Then look at the nodes we have here:
Nodeselect.JPG

Write down all the helper in this tree , because these are the animated parts. Also write down the position.
in this case like that:
Nodetree

• gutz00
  • Bone_Root
    • Bone_Pelvis
      • Bone_Leg1_L
        • Bone_Leg2_L
          • Bone_Foot_L
    • Bone_Leg1_R
      • Bone_Leg2_R
etc

Remember some bones like gutz00 are important, so dont miss those
After that its finally Time for Milkshape!

Looking in Milkshape

After we imported our MDX File and dont want to change things, we will create the bones and rig em. For that just look at donut's Tutorial.
Here is it important to take a good look on your notes.

you dont have to start with gutz00 or Bone_Root, but you have to keep em in order, means gutz00 before Bone_Root and so on.
after you finished rigging the vertices to the bones run zerojoints and export the model.

Getting animated!

Here comes the funny part (because its the last part):
first convert your model and the model with the wished animations to mdl files and run oinkerwinkles animtransfer. Transfer the animations and you voila its done!

Didnt worked!

Well in some cases is doesnt work and im searching for that reason.
Here's another way to get the animations after transfering them:

Open the mdl Files with texteditor and scroll down until you found the
Bones and helpers. Copy the moving values from every helper/bone of your
animationmodel to the bones of your selfmade model.
The "moving values" are nearly the last values on the helper with
the giant block of numbers.

After you copied the values save it and that should have solved the problem.

The rest is just adding textures and geosetanimations, but thats not my beer ^^.

Im Going to upload more pics and information later if I missed something.

Last edited: