• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

An annoying variable leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried it, and although it may not necessarily be the cause of the new lag, I have tried it without the variable removal and instead setting it to a dummy unit. I will test it once more and hopefully I have isolated the custom script as not fixing the leak. However, if it does not work to remove the lag, I will have to run some tests as it may very well be the abilities causing the lag. This is slightly outrageous though. I will try to identify the cause of these problems at any case.

Wierd, it seems that the longer your guys fight the boss, the more lag builds up. Now I'm asking, can lag be caused by abilities? Also, is it possible that lag can be temporary? I don't know what to do but I also haven't explored the map thoroughly yet. But hopefully it will work out. I am doing further tests.

Last edited:
Level 19
I tried it, and although it may not necessarily be the cause of the new lag, I have tried it without the variable removal and instead setting it to a dummy unit. I will test it once more and hopefully I have isolated the custom script as not fixing the leak. However, if it does not work to remove the lag, I will have to run some tests as it may very well be the abilities causing the lag. This is slightly outrageous though. I will try to identify the cause of these problems at any case.

Wierd, it seems that the longer your guys fight the boss, the more lag builds up. Now I'm asking, can lag be caused by abilities? Also, is it possible that lag can be temporary? I don't know what to do but I also haven't explored the map thoroughly yet. But hopefully it will work out. I am doing further tests.

If your abilities are triggered, they might have leaks, thus causing the lag. As Maker mentioned, global veriables don't need to be nulled (cleared), because they are used only once per trigger, thus it will not make anything lag or bug.

If the veriable is used multiple times, then you must clear it, otherwise it will be overriten everytime its used, thus causing a leak.

Well the triggers don't happen often, but I made an array for each special effect variable. Each time I do the triggers the special effects are destroyed so I can't understand what's causing the lag. The abilities are custom, but apparently the unit recognizes them. Therefore I can guess that these abilities themselves are making the game lag. The lag is subtle, just enough that you recognize it. I did not trigger the abilities but rather made the abilities activate by trigger, but apparently it doesn't need that...

Level 22
I got this picture from hanky, it is pretty useful

destroy etc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.