• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Aeon of Strife] Ambitious AoS with PvE aspects project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Greetings!

With an upcoming of Reforged, my passion for Warcraft 3 was rekindled! And with that I thought of what I would think is really a neat idea for a map. Basically, it is somewhat of AoS your average DotA like map, but a bit larger and has a story and dramatic map changes as Burning Legion invades. Based around Alliance vs Horde theme.

Instead of the shop, you have an item dealer, which in addition of selling items, gives you quests. You have to venture out in the forest to kill the inhabitants of it, as they appear to be more hostile. Thieving gnolls, aggressive spiders, enslaving ogres, etc. In return for those quests you get gold and/or consumptive items. Each time 5 minutes passes, the game counts how many of these quests have been done and summons/upgrades additional troops in the middle lane. Catapults, knights, etc.

Then there is special quest-givers in the corner of the map for each race. They give out quests to venture out into enemy woods to destroy certain neutral buildings, which have spawned after quest was taken. Or to hunt down certain amount of the opposite team's controlled heroes. For this you get special items which come at the cost. For example increasing movement speed at the cost of health drain per second. In addition for some quests you get hidden item locations (which appear after quest was done and hint was given). Hidden items can be given to lane spawned mobs of your team to upgrade them as if footman-->captain, catapult-->siege tank, etc.

In the middle of the game, Medivh appears as a prophet. He can appear in 4 different locations, which are difficult to get in. After a quest is taken from him, elite mob appears in the forests. Killing him grants a few items, which are great against demons, but is a bit useless against enemy team. Alternative this item can be used to upgrade your lane units for them to specialize in demon hunting. 10 minutes after Medivh appeared if he was or wasn't talked to, earthquake begins. For a few seconds it is difficult to see what is happening for players and then in the middle of the map portal appears with huge demon towers. And from it comes waves and waves of strong demon units which are enemies to everyone. Also, it appears that quest givers are in the middle to, just that they changed themselves into dreadlords..

The team who does most of the damage to the portal gains powerful abilities to end the game.

------------------

Thank you for reading. I know it would be logistically very difficult to achieve, but nevertheless I think it would be really interesting map to play. It would be unique, easy to grasp, but hard to master as players would be thorn from laning to questing. Also I think it could be competitive, even if a bit unstable as starting locations of mobs etc changes. To stop players from rushing a lane, while others want to do quests, map should be bigger (maybe even 4 lanes) and have stronger lane units. It would not be based around farming, but more about doing questing. Also there should be expansions, ways to repair buildings, etc.

I have done preliminary map in paint :)D) how it would look and there is also a bunch of neat functions, which I didn't explain here and which could enhance the gameplay even more.

Unfortunately, I myself can only do map terrain in editor at most and project like that requires team.. I have nothing to offer only but my gratitude and friendship in achieving this project together. Everyone who has a bit of experience in map editor is welcome to join!

Also any feedback/critics on the idea would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.