• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Always Reveal HP Bar Above Units: Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I'm just wondering if anyone has found a way to always display HP bars above the heads of visible units (the same effect as pressing Alt during gameplay on any map)? It's a crucial effect for my map, but my searching hasn't led me to any info. on it yet. All help is appreciated, even pure speculation. Thanks!

Level 10
I think he means visible to all players, and not a third-party program.

The only way I can think of is using text above their heads that is comprised of "I"s or "l"s, something like this:

100% hp: llllllllll
50%: hp: llllllllll

etc... not sure if this works though.

Level 1
I think he means visible to all players, and not a third-party program.

The only way I can think of is using text above their heads that is comprised of "I"s or "l"s, something like this:

100% hp: llllllllll
50%: hp: llllllllll

etc... not sure if this works though.

Perhaps a very good idea. Might induce extra lag as it would require a constantly moving floating text...I will probably have to find an alternative plan to my dilemma, but this is the best idea I've had yet and its worth a try. Thanks!

Level 3
There are not many ways but what you can do is create a leaderboard and add the player's names and add how much health they have and reduce it using variables or something like that. Otherwise you can do what Redeemer suggested, but it may cause the game to crash at times.

Level 1
You will not find a better way of doing it than a third party program. However you could create some images of health bars at varying levels of fullness. This might give less lag than the floating text and i believe its how 3rd party does it. But anyways, just go get autokeys. They will make your life easier :/

Level 2
Like someone already mentioned, make HP bars in Photoshop or something for every 10% of life or so, setting up triggers to change between overhead-attached special effects wouldn't be hard unless you wanted to do this to tons of units at once, which would just cause a lot of lag nonetheless.

Level 11
In my experience floating text bars are the simplest and easiest way to do it. How would you even go around making something like a health bar in photoshop? I have never found a method that allows images to be seen ahead of units (if there is a unit and an image on the same spot, the unit will be ahead regardless of Z offset) and models are just not practical and more laggy unless you had one bar with a long animation for each percent. Simplest way is floating text though, blizzard uses this in skibi TD, and I've tried it with success as well.

Level 2
Just save it as a TGA and use it as an overhead Special Effect that every... 0.2 seconds it destroys, checks conditions, and replaces it with a new one based on updated health :D

Many many ways to go about triggering that, and easy to accommodate to using it on multiple units.

Status
Not open for further replies.