• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Alter an abilties Extended Tooltip through Triggers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey everyone!

I've just gotten back into map making prior to Reforge's release and noticed you can now alter abilities via Triggers. I was wondering if it was possible to have a tooltip that shows an ability's damage using raw data and when it's damage is modified have it update. I tried it myself and couldn't get it to work without hardcoding in the tooltip.

Any thoughts?

Level 8
Hey everyone!

I've just gotten back into map making prior to Reforge's release and noticed you can now alter abilities via Triggers. I was wondering if it was possible to have a tooltip that shows an ability's damage using raw data and when it's damage is modified have it update. I tried it myself and couldn't get it to work without hardcoding in the tooltip.

Any thoughts?
This feature is, sadly, broken. Reforged was supposed to fix it but... eh... I seriously doubt that it did.

Level 24
I've been fiddling with it and it works in reforged, just find the "ability set string" trigger and find extended tooltip, do be sure to find the one that effects the specific units ability though, and remember that this does not work in previous versions.

Here's the trigger that you need to use thats in the trigger editor.
BROKEN LINK (NEXT POST BY THIS FOOL)
upload_2020-2-5_16-2-45-png.346357

here's an example of two separate heroes with the same ability
TWO MORE BROKEN LINKS (Displayed two tooltips with "Unleashes a wave of frost deal 87/425 damage" 87 for the level 1 hero & 425 for the level 4 hero with higher intelligence.)

Last edited:
Level 2
I've been fiddling with it and it works in reforged, just find the "ability set string" trigger and find extended tooltip, do be sure to find the one that effects the specific units ability though, and remember that this does not work in previous versions.

Here's the trigger that you need to use thats in the trigger editor.
upload_2020-2-5_16-2-45-png.346357

here's an example of two separate heroes with the same ability
upload_2020-2-5_16-1-22-png.346356

upload_2020-2-5_16-0-53-png.346355

Hmm, I can't see your images that you posted but I had a look at Set Ability String and couldn't see extended tooltip. I had the ability as (Unit: (Casting Unit)'s Ability with Ability Code: (Ability Being Cast)), would that be the reason I have limited options in StringField (Only "Name", "Icon" and "Effect Sound").

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Level 8
It was not broken at Classic Version, matter of fact it worked perfectly if the size of the original Tooltip was big enough so that the new one wouldnt break buffer size, but unfortunately in reforged, this native function has been broken ince beta.
Are you talking about generic tooltips on a spell as a whole, or a tooltip on a specific instance of a spell on a specific unit?
Pretty sure that the ladder was broken, which as far as scaling spells goes, was quite a bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.