• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Alliance System v1.01

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Requirements: Dialog System, Table

Description:
This is a system that handles making alliances ingame.
The players can build alliances using the commands '-ally' and '-war'.
Actually it is a very simple thing, but I think there are more things necessary to make the ally system be a good ally system that appears well and does not fail under certain circumstances. Following you can see a list with the features that are useful in my opinion.

Features

• Players can't change initial alliances when forbidden by a constant. This means they can not declare war on initial allies.
  • The messages that appear when players ally appear well (colored player names, correct english (I hope))
  • A player declares automatically war on a player he allied that attacks him.
  • The system supports numbers, color names and playernames in the commands.
  • I think most players are going to use colors: Colors have extra support. Different names for the same color is possible (like grey and gray or lightblue and light blue)
  • If a player a allies another player b there is a peace time: A period in which the player a can't declare war manually on player b
  • If allying fails, the player that tried to ally gets explicit error messages
  • Players have an ally limit that forbids building too big alliances
  • Not all players can be in the same team. There is always struggle
  • You can forbid partial alliances. If partial alliances are forbidden, a player sends an ally request to another player if he wants to ally him. If the other player confirms the request, then both players ally each other. If a player declares war on the other player, the alliance dissolves for both sides.

Keywords:
Ally, war, alliance, system
Contents

Ally System v1.01 (Map)

Reviews
14:20, 15th Nov 2009 TriggerHappy187: This seems like a huge overkill for something as simple as alliance. Message me if you feel different (with reasons).

M

14:20, 15th Nov 2009
TriggerHappy187:

This seems like a huge overkill for something as simple as alliance.

Message me if you feel different (with reasons).

Level 9
Level 11
@triggerHappy:

Dude, if you say huge overkill for something that's simply, you have either not read the code or you don't understand what makes an alliance system good and comfortable. If you write that alliance systems are actually so simple, you're talking about noobish alliance systems that absolutely suck and on which I explained in my scripts Information Section why they suck. If you're interested in using high quality stuff, you should not use those 'simple alliance systems'.
Each of the features of the system is really useful and can't be achieved easily. I have worked on a map for several years that contained an alliance system. And I learned from that game what makes an alliance system good from the feedback of the players.
This is exactly the kind of system users wish.
And just being complicated doesn't make a system bad. Doing useless stuff makes it bad.
Bad is rejecting systems without having clearly thought if the system makes sense.

Last edited:
Level 21
@triggerHappy:

Dude, if you say huge overkill for something that's simply, you have either not read the code or you don't understand what makes an alliance system good and comfortable. If you write that alliance systems are actually so simple, you're talking about noobish alliance systems that absolutely suck and on which I explained in my scripts Information Section why they suck. If you're interested in using high quality stuff, you should not use those 'simple alliance systems'.
Each of the features of the system is really useful and can't be achieved easily. I have worked on a map for several years that contained an alliance system. And I learned from that game what makes an alliance system good from the feedback of the players.
This is exactly the kind of system users wish.
And just being complicated doesn't make a system bad. Doing useful stuff makes it bad.
Bad is rejecting systems without having clearly thought if the system makes sense.

That was hilarious!:cute: