• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

All abilities cast as if they were the last one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Solved: All abilities cast as if they were the last one

First off Im sorry if the title doesn't make any sense and if anyone can think of a better one after reading this let me know, I didn't really know how to explain this shortly.
Also, again I didn't really know what kind of issue this fell under, it's not a scripting problem exactly but I don't think it's a basic world edit thing either so if anyone can move this to the right place please do
Same if this question has been asked and answered if someone could direct me there that'd be great, I had no idea what to search so Im unashamed to admit I barely tried.

So whats happening, is I have a unit with several abilities, right now it's at six I believe. Each ability is based off of "build tiny town hall" or one of the "build tiny XXXXXX" abilities, either town hall or alter. The problem is that no matter which ability I select to use in game, they always cast the last ability in the list. All the scripts work and each ability works individually, but when I add them all to the units abilities and try to cast any of them it always casts the last one, regardless of what it is.

Anyone have any idea whats going on and how I can fix it?

Last edited:
Level 33
@ruler
You should really start testing/experimenting first before giving statements.

The thing is, only Channel and Charge Gold and Lumber abilities can have multiple of Base Order ID, other abilities than that, it cannot

It doesn't have to do anything at all with the Text - Order String - Use/Turn On, it is a hardcoded ability which you can't bypass the Base Order ID except if you trigger the ability by using Channel

In Channel, it has this field called as Data - Base Order ID, this field what makes the ability order to be unique to each other, not the Text - Order String

@Thread
I suggest you to use Dummy Caster system, to cast the ability for you, while having 6 Channel abilities on that single unit (provided each ability has unique Base Order ID)

Kusanagi Kuro

Hosted Project: SC
Level 10
^ That's the solution. Just make it more specify for u:
U create 6 dummy ability that based on Channel. U also need to create 6 ability that based on Build Tiny Castle and changed them to what u want.
When ur unit use the Dummy Ability, u create 1 dummy, add the true ability to it and then order it to cast that ability on the target point.

Off-topic: Hey defskull, what is the order ID of Build Tiny Castle?

Level 3
So allow me to try and piece all this together. What I have to do is, rather then having the six abilities I need to set them up as item abilities and swap the abilities I have for just a dummy caster summon and have the dummy caster use the item when they're summoned.

And the reason it isn't working now is because the base IDs for all the abilities are the same so it's using an arbitrary one, or I guess the last one loaded by the system every time because when it looks for the base ID that's the one it finds. Am I close here?

Level 3
So Ive created the ability, based it off of channel, triggered it to summon the dummy caster and then have the dummy caster use the item to which the summon ability is assigned. However I'm having some problems in testing, Ive given the channel ability to the unit thats supposed to be doing the summoning, however the ability isn't showing up in game. What did I miss?

Edit: Or should I create a different dummy ability and then trigger it to use channel whenever I use that ability?

Level 33
A better way, just add the ability to the unit and order it to cast it.
Here's a test map demonstrating how to use it.

I only do one of the abilities, you should do the rest, okay ?

Attachments

• Dummy Build.w3x
    12.9 KB · Views: 45
Level 3
Excellent, thank you so much guys.
@defskull I tried what you gave me and it didn't work at first, but it was doing the same thing, I changed the baseID for the casting ability and everything went swell though, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.