• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Akilon Flats -new melee map

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
This is a melee map made by me, LORDEN and MichaelTheBoombringer. This map is a wc3 version of the popular Akilon Flats map from SC2 Wings Of Liberty. We have created a "sc2 in wc3 maps" series where we upload sc2 melee maps made in the wc3 editor. I haven't used any HIVE resource. I love feedback and I encourage you to leave your thoughts and comments below. I will read as many messages as I can. Go on! GL HF!
Changelog : 17.02.2017
Added props, water and environment doodads, rock destructibles, trees, grass.
Previews
Contents

Akilon Flats -new melee map (Map)

Reviews
Paillan
I still think that using only one terrain tyle is not the way to make this. Awaiting update again.
Level 6
It seems to me like there are some balancing issues with the map. It is asymmetrical. This is okay, except when the creep balance is off.
For example: look at Red's creeps. He first has 2 orange camps - no fliers. These are the creeps that he will first be creeping. However, when you look at Blue's natural creep path, he has an orange camp (good) but then an orange camp with a flier. This kind of limits either creeping patterns for blue, or hero selections.
I notice too, that there are no green camps. Possibly add 1 or 2 around. The middle could use some love, and I'm sure they'd fit right in.
openMiddle.png
Also, there are very few trees for each player, Blue is favored in this sense.
Finally, my last criticism is the terrain. It is very very plain and I believe it will not be approved if you don't change it a bit. I recommend adding doodads (especially rocks, the jagged edges of the cliffs look.. kinda bad) and definitely add some tile variation. The grassy cliff edges look out of place, when everything else is dirt. If you want to keep it as a barren place, consider looking at some Desert themed maps, and see how they pull it off. Sand is a good texture (however, it seems a bit more like a beach, but it's by far one of my favorite tiles)
It might be worth modifying your tile palette (Advanced > Modify Tileset...) and picking some barren tiles.
Another thing: Try to avoid sharp, straight lines - especially for cliffs.
straightLine.png

Final note on the terrain. Heavy, dark grass right into dirt generally looks messy and unnatural. Try Heavy Grass > Light Grass > Grassy Dirt > Dirt. It makes the transition much cleaner.

As it stands, I'll give a 2/5, but I'm willing to change when the map does :)

EDIT: Also, check out This Link. It is a melee map description example by Rufus. It'd greatly help your description :)

Last edited: