• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

AI and huge maps (480)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
So anyway before I start making bigger maps, I have a question - the editor itself says that a map over a certain size can no longer be used for melee.

I also remember once making a 256 map with regular Melee AI and the computer players had a lot of trouble finding the bases of other players, and quickly degenerated into doing basically nothing.

So how would you design a huge map to make sure the AI still does its thing in a way that's interesting?

If you use custom AI, what behaviours should it have to deal with large maps?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
A lot of the internal logic does not (did not... not sure if Reforged fixed this) work with bigger than normal maps. The most obvious such broken logic was that blight did not work outside the standard sized middle of the map on a 480x480 sized map. AI might suffer similar problems where they are not able to operate over the complete area of the map.

Level 13
A lot of the internal logic does not (did not... not sure if Reforged fixed this) work with bigger than normal maps. The most obvious such broken logic was that blight did not work outside the standard sized middle of the map on a 480x480 sized map. AI might suffer similar problems where they are not able to operate over the complete area of the map.
Do you know how that last part inteferes with a "compromise" solution - say if you got a 480x480 map, but reduce the playable area to just one section of it, so the AI works as normal within that region, and then via trigger another area of the map can be "activated" instead, etc.?

And in general, do we of anyone who managed to write an AI that works? Is there maybe a way to compensate/supplement with triggers?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
say if you got a 480x480 map, but reduce the playable area to just one section of it, so the AI works as normal within that region, and then via trigger another area of the map can be "activated" instead, etc.?
It likely works with respect to map x/y and not playable area. Playable area is just a mechanic applied to limit the player's camera.

And in general, do we of anyone who managed to write an AI that works? Is there maybe a way to compensate/supplement with triggers?
AI in Warcraft III has always been rather iffy and poorly documented. I think the best people manged was AMAI.

Status
Not open for further replies.