• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Age of Mythology: Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vunjo

Hosted Project: SC
Level 14
To all those who don't know the game, Age of Mithology, also knowed as AoM is a real time strategy game, just like warcraft. It is really fun to play, and it's playable online through Game Ranger too. But the point of this thread was to ask 1 think about it's editor. Is it worth of trying or not? :)

Level 7
I didn't played AoM since several years ago.. but..as tleno said earlier, AoM editor it's simple compared to war3 editor, the WE is a far more powerful tool. As far as I know the triggering and cinematic part of the AoM: Editor are a lot easier, but not too many people play AoM custom maps compared to War3, where people play mostly custom maps.. so I suggest to stick with WE. :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
AoM had potential, but was ruined by poor implimentation.

For anyone who played it, I am sure you are well aware of how retarded the combat AI is. Send some melee units followed by archers in attack move against an army and the result is over half the melee units walk around at the start not fighting despite being in range of an enemy and the archers will just walk foward until they get attacked by which time melee units eat them up. Units with abilities like madussa were only ballenced because the AI was so dumb it would stone the same unit multiple times and waste cooldown. Units would just stop mid movement and the most retarded of places (trade routes especially).

The oponent AI was also really retarded. Often they would break down for no reason at all (stop trying to do anything). They varied substantialy in difficulty depending on race (norse being hardest and egyptain being weakest). They also loved sending their titan to chase after a lone unit which could easilly kite it allowing you to kill it with huge armies completly safely.

The god abilities were cool, but were poorly designed. Some single charged were far too weak compared to others. What was missing were being able to recharge some of them for favor, resources, time or only 1 active effect followed by cooldown.

The engine was crap by itself... In large 8 player games panning to old parts of your empire caused a large number of frames to be dropped (like 60-120). Visual effects were generated despite not viewing the area in question yet did not decay until viewed (causing poor performance when panning over highly active trade routes after not doing so for a while). Multiple crashes and bugs were never fixed.

The game being old is not an excuse. Older games had much better combat AI.

Level 20
I don't think it was quite as bad as you make it out to be but yeah, the AI in Ensemble's games is the only real weak point and it was particularly bad in AoM.

As for the editor, I found it was great for really, really quickly making awesome 'scenarios' and campaign levels - But it wasn't designed for making custom gametypes, it can be done but as it wasn't an intention - it takes a lot of work arounds to achieve anything spectacular. Great for what it's intended to do, not so 'powerful' as the wc3 editor.

Vunjo

Hosted Project: SC
Level 14
well yeah, AI sux hard in there, that's why it's complicated playing PvP. You deffinetly won't spam medusas, cause they will, like doctor said, spam spells on same target.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
The coolest thing about the Age of Mythology editor is that it allowed units to fight while in the editor itself. When I opened Warcraft III's editor, I tried doing the same until my cousin said «use the test map button», and I thought «must be for the AoM editor only» ;p I was like 9 or so.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
You could do it in Age of Empires II, it'd be pretty silly to have excluded that for Age of Mythology.
And yes, I'm completely sure. If you placed enemy units next to each other, you had to order them to fight or they'd stay still, but I don't remember testing things in-game.

Level 24
I've played with AoM WE alitle when I where 12 but I never really loved it as much as i love WC3 WE

Status
Not open for further replies.