• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Altered Melee] Age of Chaos - WC1 Remake Project (WiP)

How does it look so far?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Age Of Chaos Logo.png

Warcraft: Age of Chaos
is a remake of Warcraft I: Orcs & Humans in The Frozen Throne engine. The aim is to recreate the entirety of the first war, allowing you to relive the devastating battle and defend or conquer Azeroth.

This will recreate Warcraft I's entire core gameplay with the only major changes being improved visuals. Featuring a fully function road and wall system to allow you to expand your town as needed. The two races have been completed and only needs some further polishing and tinkering before it's presentable.

Currently, I am working on the Human Campaign of Warcraft I. The only maps completed are the Prologue and the First Mission. Mission Two and Three is being worked on.

Here's a preview of the Prologue and Mission One of Age of Chaos. (Yes, the road system does work.)

AoCPreview02.jpg

AoCPreview03.jpg

AoCPreview01.jpg

AoCScreenshot02.jpg
AoCPreview04.jpg
AoCScreenshot01.jpg

Also, did I mention that units will actually bleed and leave blood splats when damaged? Melee units will have their weapons coated in blood when attacked too! It's really just visuals, but it looks good!

The project won't be completed in a month or two since I'm still a student facing off against horrifying homework and demonic monthly exams, so this project won't exactly have an estimated release date... I'm not even sure if I'm even going to release this to the public.

I would love some feedback, ideas and opinions on this project. Do you guys think that this would be a good or should I just give up since there's probably like a hundred other projects doing the same thing? (*Cough* Dawn of Chaos *Cough*)

Level 13
I support this, I wonder if you will use some original soundtrack or file from wc1 aswell.

Yep! I'm mostly gonna be steali-- I mean, borrowing from the Dawn of Chaos MPQ for the remastered soundtrack. So that's a plus.

I really like your concept of recreating Warcraft 1. I'm just gonna see how this turns out in its release. Terrain could be better, tho. Loving that blood and gore combat.

PS, I have no idea what a road system is

Glad to see some opinions and helpful criticism! The terrain does need some more work, but it's kept simple to match the original game. I might improve it by mixing it up with some Ashenvale tiles. There's not actually going to be 'gore' due to Warcraft III's limitations, so no decapitations as much as I would love to have some in the map. But do expect A LOT of blood in combat.

Also in Warcraft 1, you could only build structures near a 'road tile' which kind of limits your building space but at the same time, makes your bases a lot more cooler. Hence the term: Road System.

Level 5
I liked the models. I disliked the concept. Most potential players are not old enough to remember Warcraft 1. You are fully capable of giving a darker tone, that is present in the Warcraft 1, to your campaign, if you so desire. Dragging the bagage of the legacy is unnecessary.

I suggest you create an original story. Even more so, I suggest you drop implementing features for features sake. Namely, walls and roads. I can expand on this, if you wish.

Level 13
I liked the models. I disliked the concept. Most potential players are not old enough to remember Warcraft 1. You are fully capable of giving a darker tone, that is present in the Warcraft 1, to your campaign, if you so desire. Dragging the bagage of the legacy is unnecessary.

I suggest you create an original story. Even more so, I suggest you drop implementing features for features sake. Namely, walls and roads. I can expand on this, if you wish.

About time somebody gave some neutral criticism. I was honestly going for a darker atmosphere, but my options are rather limited with current resources. I'll try hard to improve the atmosphere. While I know most players don't remember or know WC1, I feel like introducing a remake of it will allow players to learn about the events that occurred in the first war while having fun burning enemy towns to the ground.

Also, all of the new features function fine and work seamlessly in the game, these systems provide interesting gameplay and forces players to adapt and use a different approach than what they're used to.

Thanks for your shared opinion! Map making is a fun challenge for me and I'm always looking for some improvements.

Level 13
BUMP! Just to clarify, this project is still being developed and I have not abandoned it. But anyway! New screenshots, featuring the WC1 style briefing and the Orcs! I also took the time to improve the terrain.

AoCScreeny1.jpg

AoCScreeny2.jpg

AoCScreeny3.jpg

AoCScreeny4.jpg

AoCScreeny5.jpg
AoCScreeny6.jpg

The mission briefing was needlessly complicated for me to make, but so worth it in the end.

Level 23
Hi Winter, i noticed that you are using the wcII great hall model for the orcs main base structure. Not sure if you had experimented with it much, but for many people, the final tier upgrade for it has some serious issues and does not work for many people.
Your project looks great btw :)

Level 15
Wasn't this idea already done by Perenolde? I would suggest you to try something new, because recreation of WC1 in WC3 has already been done, but it is not on me to decide.

Level 13
Wasn't this idea already done by Perenolde? I would suggest you to try something new, because recreation of WC1 in WC3 has already been done, but it is not on me to decide.

You're absolutely right about Perenolde's already completed Warcraft 1 campaigns. But my project has a bunch of more features and looks more modern and up to date and contains most of WC1's key features, especially since my project includes -- dare I say it -- multiplayer. Also, as much as I had fun playing Perenolde's campaign, the terrain was admittedly bland and generic. (Don't kill me, plez!)

Status
Not open for further replies.