• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

After much consideration, moderation and research...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I've decided to start working on a warmachine as my first actual model, and would love to know a few things:
How to recreate moving treads, like on the Tinker Tank model
How to's of making a detailed crystal, specifically, the best texture to use
Details of Global Sequences, something I haven't found a guide on yet.

Thank you for your time.

Level 3
Just the stuff I downloaded from this site, Magos Model Editor and Oinkerwinkle's Tools, so I can get some practice in.

well don't expect to do much with them, get mdlVis also, it may come in hand.

1º Moving treads are most likely made using 2 ways. First, the hard way, animating the vertices. Second, the easy way, using tvertex animations or better known as unwrap animations. You will require a high level tool to make this (such as 3dsmax) or a very good visualization since the other technique is editing the mdl by hand. To do it by hand, you must link a geoset to a material and assign that material to a tvertexanimation, afterwards you animate it.

2º That's mainly done by using multipli material types and layers. Crystals are normally done using 2 geosets/meshes that are exactly identical just one a bit larger than the other. The one being larger has an additive material and the other a blend material with some transparency. You can also make simple crystal effects just by using the additive material type.

3º Global Sequences are well documented in wc3campaigns. Well anyways, the way they work is quite simple. They work like a cycle, they play an animation block and once they stop they start all over from the start, unlike normal animations, global sequences don't change even your unit stops playing an animation. The way global sequences are made is by creating a global sequence id(in mdl or magos) which contains the last frame of your animation sequence, afterwards you assign your animation block to that id using the GlobalSequence syntax in mdl, or in magos.

Level 3
Ah, so, if I have a particle moving around using the "Translation" function, and simply put the end of the animation in, the particles will move continuously?

But with the Texture animations, there's a Translation function, my guess was that if I set it to the right numbers, the area the geoset is wrapped to would move up a bit. then return to normal. It'd take alot of work to make it work smoothly, but I think I could pull it off.

More details would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.