• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

(adding) Hero Glow [to normal units]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Are there any custom fx / models out there you can add to a unit to make them look like a hero? (without using a hero model)

I searched in the models on this site, and could not find anything like this.

ty

Level 3
I read a tutorial on how add a hero glow to a non hero unit like a year or two ago however had since forgotten how to do it... But i did try to do it again and eventually it sorta came back to me in about half an hour. I am not very experienced with model editing but i'll try to explain what i did in this wall of text. First of all you need to have magos model editor (aka: War3 Model Editor):

1. Open the model you want to create a glow on and open the "Texture Manager" and create a "empty" texture. It will show up as "Replaceable ID 0"

2. Right click "Replaceable ID 0" and then go to "edit". Where you can type a number type down the number "2" which stands for team glow. (if you look at the legend you see a list of numbers and descriptions but don't worry about the rest.)

3. Next you want to open the "Material Manager" you'll probably see a list of materials. Now you're going to need to make one. Right click and "create new". Right click again, this time inside the window that popped up labeled "layers" and then "create new" again.

4. Under "texture id" go to the drop down and select your texture "Replaceable ID 2". Then under "filter" go to the drop down and select "additive" and then you're done with the material section.

This part might be complicated? idk this part took me the longest to remember. Mainly because you won't really be "creating" the glow but rather "stealing" it from another model (that's not the only way to do this but it's the simplest that i know of without using any other program)

Now that you have your texture and material ready you need something solid to slap that color onto.

OPEN ANOTHER INSTANCE OF WAR3 MODEL EDITOR

5. Open any model with a hero glow (preferebly one with only a hero glow). I find it easy to just open the mpq browser and opening up "Jaina" (war3.mpq->units->human->jaina->jaina.mdx). Now that you have a model with a hero glow opened up you'll want to export that hero glow (called a "geoset") from that model into a folder.

6. Open up "Geoset Manager". Then hold control and click the hero glow until you see it blink (disappear/reappear or something). Doing that automatically selects the hero glow geoset in the geoset manager. To export right click on the geoset and export it somewhere where it won't get lost. After that you can close this model.

BACK TO THE MODEL THAT WANTS TO GLOW
You might need to open "Node Manager" which may show a bunch of bones (bones have a little bone by the name :p), attachments (they have a paper clip by their name), etc.

7. Open up "Geoset Manager". Right click in the geoset manager and import the geoset into your model. It will ask you where you want to attach that geoset (or something like that) If your not sure where to attach it look in the "node manager" for "Origin ref" (maybe) or pick the bone that the majority of the bones are attached to.

After you attached the geoset you should have your glow. Or if not then i might've missed something (i shoulda started typing this while i was trying to remember how to do it lol). I can't help but think i'm forgetting something... I might do another model again to make sure i typed it out right. Edit: now i remember. After picking bone, w/e you attach it to you need to select the material that was created before. And that should be it...

EDIT: ><
PS: crap! i completely forgot what you were asking. I explained how to make(basically taking) a hero glow from another model in the beginning of the second half of my wall of text.

PPS: Well i was also looking for how to do this as well but after some searches on the web and wc3,thw,thehelper i decided to find out for myself.

Last edited:
Level 6
You can also DL the glow here, import it to your map, and just attach it to any hero at "origin".

• HeroGlow
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of <HeroName> <gen> using war3mapImported\Glow.mdx
      • Unit - Change color of <HeroName> <gen> to (Color of (Owner of <HeroName> <gen>))
Is example of a trigger. The reason for the color change trigegr, if the unit is already placed on the map by default the glow will be red, it can be corrected if you do a trigger to "refresh" or change the color after you put the glow on a unit.

Alternatively, you can just use passive ability like "Item Attack Fire Bonus", remove the effects, and simply attach the model and attach it to "origin".

Level 5
You can also DL the glow here, import it to your map, and just attach it to any hero at "origin".

• HeroGlow
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of <HeroName> <gen> using war3mapImported\Glow.mdx
      • Unit - Change color of <HeroName> <gen> to (Color of (Owner of <HeroName> <gen>))
Is example of a trigger. The reason for the color change trigegr, if the unit is already placed on the map by default the glow will be red, it can be corrected if you do a trigger to "refresh" or change the color after you put the glow on a unit.

Alternatively, you can just use passive ability like "Item Attack Fire Bonus", remove the effects, and simply attach the model and attach it to "origin".

Very nice. A lot easier than model editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.