• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Solved] Adding a buff to a character with a text

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm making a spell out of triggers and i'm not quite sure how to add the little buff thing on the targeted unit for a certain amount of time which tells them that they're being affected by [spell description] How do?

You cannot add buffs to units via triggers, you have to spawn a dummy unit that will cast a spell that will give buff to the targeted unit.

Here's a test map I made. Hit escape key to stun the footman for 5 seconds, you can modify the 'Custom Storm Bolt' ability to increase the stun, or use other abilities that can add buff to units, and make sure target abilities should have a cast range and missile speed set to 99999. (Use the test map below as a reference).

Attachments

• testmap.w3x
    18.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Level 3
You cannot add buffs to units via triggers, you have to spawn a dummy unit that will cast a spell that will give buff to the targeted unit.

Here's a test map I made. Hit escape key to stun the footman for 5 seconds, you can modify the 'Custom Storm Bolt' ability to increase the stun, or use other abilities that can add buff to units, and make sure target abilities should have a cast range and missile speed set to 99999. (Use the test map below as a reference).

Is it not possible for the dummy unit to cast a custom spell or add a custom buff? All I want is for when someone uses the ability on a friendly, you can click on the unit and have it show the little icon with a tooltip that tells you what it means even though it actually means nothing. An example is "This unit is being affected by Slow Aura; it has impaired movement" but only for the single target I want.

Thanks!

Edit: I can't find the option to order my dummy unit to cast a custom spell on my unit
upload_2020-2-24_7-49-8.png

Last edited:
Use 'slow' ability, customize it, increase the range and speed like I said, change the buff of the ability from 'Slow - Buff' to 'Slow Aura - Buff' (You can create your own custom slow buff or modify the default slow buff), then order the dummy unit to cast the 'Slow Ability' (Target Unit Being Cast), not 'Attack' (Target Unit Being Cast).

Last edited:
Level 39
I recommend using acid bomb for projectile spells that should show a buff for a duration, and inner fire for non-projectile abilities. Whether the base ability is classified as 'positive' or 'negative' by the game engine determines the color of the buff name (IF is green, AB is red for example).

Level 3
Use 'slow' ability, customize it, increase the range and speed like I said, change the buff of the ability from 'Slow - Buff' to 'Slow Aura - Buff' (You can create your own custom slow buff or modify the default slow buff), then order the dummy unit to cast the 'Slow Ability' (Target Unit Being Cast), not 'Attack' (Target Unit Being Cast).
Does this mean I'd only be able to base 1 ability off of slow buff or ability? What if i'm making a whole lot of custom abilities and buff tooltips and I need to base it off default slow many times?

Make more dummy units with different abilities (you can base it on slow or thunderbolt or other abilities that gives buff to target units), then assign different buffs on each ability, you can make your own buffs.

Edit: Here, made you two dummy units, each with different abilities and each ability gives different buff, one is stun buff and the other is a slow buff. Hit left key to slow the footman, hit right key to stun the footman.

Attachments

• testmap.w3x
    19.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Level 3
Make more dummy units with different abilities, and with different buffs on each ability.

Edit: Here, made you two dummy units, each with different abilities and each ability gives different buff, one is stun buff and the other is a slow buff. Hit left key to slow the footman, hit right key to stun the footman.
Oh okay so I have to base my custom ability as the same thing as the dummy unit's. I understand now thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.