• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Activating abilities on death (or spawn.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello,
This is my first post here. I'm making a map that is a starcraft rpg map. Right now, I'm trying to make an ability that activates on death. I tried using resurrect as the base ability, but even if you remove the effect, the units keep coming back to life. I also tried using the phoenix egg ability, but that causes the editor to crash for some reason. Can anybody else think of an ability that activates on death? I'm trying to avoid using a trigger if I don't have to.

Also, I want the units to use an ability (or spell animation) when they spawn. They are part of a holo-deck and I want them to use the mirror image animation when they spawn. What do you think is a good way of going about this? Thanks in advance :)

Level 3
Hello,
This is my first post here. I'm making a map that is a starcraft rpg map. Right now, I'm trying to make an ability that activates on death. I tried using resurrect as the base ability, but even if you remove the effect, the units keep coming back to life. I also tried using the phoenix egg ability, but that causes the editor to crash for some reason. Can anybody else think of an ability that activates on death? I'm trying to avoid using a trigger if I don't have to.

Also, I want the units to use an ability (or spell animation) when they spawn. They are part of a holo-deck and I want them to use the mirror image animation when they spawn. What do you think is a good way of going about this? Thanks in advance :)

These two aren't too hard. For an ability that activates on death (You mean one that ressurects on death, right?) Just give your character the reincarnation ability (I'm not sure if that's what it's called or not, but it's there) and when your hero dies, it ressurects using this ability and setting the cooldown for it.

When they spawn, using the mirror image animation is easy.
Here.
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes reviving
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of (Reviving Hero) using Abilities\Spells\Orc\MirrorImage\MirrorImageCaster.mdl
Put your other triggers that you want in there.. that should work. It might leak though, but I don't know how to fix leaks :emote_innocent:

Level 12
I understand not wanting to use triggers due to them being confusing (is that why you don't want to?), but they will help you out with a lot of stuff, and without them, there are lots of things you can't do. I have no idea what you could use as a base ability, but if you want a trigger, just ask and I will give it to you.

Oh, and I always wanted to do this: Please Introduce Yourself to the Hive!
Wolverabid will give you some of the other links still though. Sorry Wolvberabid, I just had to.

Level 6
For the first one, simple. Use the ability Kaboom from Goblin Sappers and swith the Activates on death to yes. And POW! you got it.
And second one, what cormag said.
[off topic]Since you new I reccomend introducing your self here so people can know your around.

Level 3

Burger, well for some reason even after making it "on death" it doesn't work. Oh well. I'll introduce myself too.

Chaos, I think using abilities is better for the simple reason I don't have to worry about things like overflows. As a rule, I'm trying to use what's built into the engine where possible. However, I do have triggers.

Thanks for the trigger Cormag, it worked out well with some adjustment. My holograms are now working almost correctly. They still have a death animation, but I can't figure out how to make that go away without getting rid of the mirror image too. (I need to make them summoned units.) But I can't find a trigger that activates an ability that summons them in...

Status
Not open for further replies.