• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Why hello there.. Again.

I am once again writing, but this time something else than Dawn of Life. Inspired by the novel "Lies of Locke Lamora" and some other personal perspectives, I am writing a new novel, wether it be finished or not is not sure at this moment. Anyways, lets get down to it, shall we? This is only the prologue, and its not very long, but I hope it gives a somewhat insight at what I am writing here and what the novel is like:

Prologue
02:13 Tuesday, the twenty fifth of October in the year of 2251.

It was raining outside. There was a soft tapping of raindrops against the large windows of the church. The light was dimmed at the entrance and all the way up to the altar. Where there was candles burning and giving off soft and living light, casting dancing shadows on the walls. There was a priest standing by the altar, cleaning a blood soaked knife with a white tissue, standing with his face against the back wall of the church. On the altar, lying with her face towards the entrance of the church, was a girl. Dead as the very altar she was lying on with a fresh cut at her throat, still bleeding.

The priest turned as the heavy doors of the church entrance cracked open, and a heavy light came seething through it. A man came walking in, at a slow pace he was moving towards the priest. The man entering the church had a black chupella on his head, and was wearing a long, dark leather coat. He had dark and curly hair, seemingly unattended. He had very thin leather gloves and high leather boots. The man was walking with his coat open and underneath it was a neatly set dark blue shirt with sparkles of silver in it. He was equipped with a long saber sheathed, its handle was neatly set with symbols and fine lines of silver, and at pomel there was the form of a horse head.

When there was nothing but a gap of two meters between them the priest whispered in a hissing voice “Elthario. Why have you returned to me on this particular hour..?” The man of which seemed to be named Elthario looked at the priest with eyes filled of hatred. Ten seconds passed, ten seconds where the time seemed to leak away, slowly, as if it had never been there. “Because.. Father. I have been blind. I have killed those who fight in the name of freedom for generations.. And for what? For the pleasure and well being of some clever minds that worked their little scheme throughout world war three. I am slaying innocents on the streets, so that you can be safe in your church fucking children that is overwhelmingly younger than yourself.”

Elthario walked up, passed the priest of which retreated from his former position. And when Elthario was standing by the girl on the alter the priest had positioned himself at the steps of the passageway, three meters away from Elthario, with his hands firmly held on his one knife. Elthario looked down on the girl on the alter, she couldn’t be older than 14 but neither younger than 12. He fondled his fingers along the girls arm, eyes filled with horrific pain. He looked up and straight at the priest, of which stood there, speechless. “No.” said Elthario “I am done serving you Catholic ilk, I am done being your angel of death…”

He reached into one side of his coat and pulled out a M-47 Magnum, fit with a silencer and specially designed with 24 bullets instead of the standard 12. The priest had no time to react as Elthario fired of. Three bullets flew through the air and hit the priest into the head. The knife in his hands dropped down to the floor, making a large clinging noise as it hit the ground, closely followed by the entire body of the priest himself. “I hereby relieve you of your life, Percentrio Arthelli. May you burn in hell.” He walked down the stairs and fired off a final shot right between the eyes of the priest. Not likely to ensure the kill, but to express his hatred towards the manipulative mind of which was inside this human body.

He turned slowly, walked back up the stairs and passed the girl on the altar. There he reached inside his shirt and pulled out a necklace, placed the figure on in necklace into a form in the wall, turned it once to the left and took his fingers under a handle that placed just underneath the form, he pulled upwards and a clocking mechanism could be heard working. The wall split open and behind it was a stairway, leading downwards into a black cellar looking catacomb. Elthario pulled out a note from his pocked and let it drop to the ground, then he entered the doors and closed them shut behind him.

Elthario Pablo Rafozio, legend of the great Aces.

Now, do not take anything of what I am writing serious, it is all fiction. And yes, it includes Religion and religion might be presented in a bad view, especially Christians. But it is all fiction, have no doupt.

C'n'C is always welcome.

Last edited:
Level 9
Sounds like a very interesting piece. Would love to read more. You did a good job catching and holding the readers attention and it does leave more to be desired (meaning more story).

The only problems I see are slight grammatical errors.
An example being
"...and a strange man came walking in. The strange man was tall..."

Instead of putting the strange man in the second sentence just putting the man would work fine since you have already implicated him as strange this adjective doesn't need to be used again.

With the grammatical errors it does make the piece a bit clunky and hard to read but it doesn't take away from the piece as a whole, it is still very interesting and attention grabbing. Hope to see more.

Level 2
You haven't really done much to follow what Alkonis and me said in another thread of yours. : \

Level 2
Listening to uneducated opinions about the matter is a sound way to succeed. Not to mention basic grammatical errors. You couldn't run it through Microsoft Word's Spelling and Grammar check at the very least?

Level 36
Really now, Jassu. You should know that I am not aiming to become a professional writer >.> I am writing on my spare time, when I'm not working, because I like to do it. I am also using Microsoft Work's writer which rights gramatical errors, but I guess thats mostly just spellings, if you could point out the gramatical errors for me that would be very nice, however. And sorry to say, but I dont have Microsoft Words..

Level 13
What type of writing would you be doing as a professional kenji.

PS you can use grammar checks you just run it through it and it corrects it.

Level 2
It was raining outside, and the tapping of raindrops against the large windows of the dome could be heard in even the darkest corners of the building.

You're describing the sense of sound as the sense of sight; not a good usage of metaphors.

The priest was standing by the alter, lighting candles when the heavy doors of the entrance cracked open and a strange man came walking in. The strange man was tall with half-length black hair, slightly curly.

"The" is a definite article that denotes one or more nouns that have previously been mentioned or assumed to be common knowledge. There is no mention of a priest or religious building. You could also rewrite that statement to something like this:

"A priest was standing by an altar, lightning candles when the doors of the entrance cracked open. In walked a tall man with black, half-length, curly hair."

You have a habit of using excessive adjectives. More specifically, you use excessive adjectives with unimportant parts of the story. You also used "alter" instead of "altar".

His eyes was covered by the shadow of his hat. He had a dark coat going all the way down to his feet, and a neatly set light color shirt under the coat.

You use the singular form of a state-of-being verb with a plural subject. The comma before the and is incorrectly placed. You should separate consecutive adjectives and adverbs with commas.

His footsteps echoed as he slowly walked up toward the alter. None of them said anything before they stood face to face, with a gap of something likely to be two meters distance between them.

You used two prepositions in your prepositional phrase (up and toward). It should be "up to" or just "toward". The reference of the distance between the two characters is completely irrelevant to the story; it does not need to be stated.

The priest cleared his throat and whispered “Elthario, why have you returned to me on this particular hour..?” seemingly frightened as he spoke. “Because, father, I know the secret, I’ve seen you and your fellow Christians intensions. I have witnessed the means of which you execute your dire strategies, and for this I will now depart from the higher circle, and relieve you of your duties.” Said the man of whom appeared to be Elthario.

Your quotation ends with three punctuation marks. It should be an ellipsis with a question mark following or just the question mark. You comma spliced in your second quote (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma_splice). The clauses should be separated or the comma should be replaced with a semi-solon. Apostrophes are required when showing position. IE: "…your fellow Christians' intensions…."

Edit: I forgot to mention something else. You indicate who's speaking with the sentence, "Said the man of whom appeared to be Elthario." That's a poor way to reference who is speaking. If you want to use a similar format, say something like, "Said the man presumed to be Elthario." However, the best way to reference the speaker is just to do "said <name>" or "<name> said".

That's just half of your prologue. You can use some of this information to find mistakes in the rest of your post.

Last edited:
Level 36
What type of writing would you be doing as a professional kenji.

PS you can use grammar checks you just run it through it and it corrects it.

What type? I'll presume your talking about what kind of texts I were to write. Well.. Novels is, by far, my utmost favorite texts and I love writing them. Else I would possibly go for crime books, or what its called again.

And Jassu, thanks for many good advices, there are some things I dont quite get, as I am Norwegian and many of your words used are quite.. complicated, but I'll try to see what I can do about it. And some of your "tips" are quite personal means... Like telling me what is "irrelevant" and what doesnt sound good, as long as there is nothing gramatical wrong. Its all based on taste.

Level 2
Not quite. Using as few adjectives, adverbs, and "sophisticated" words as possible is part of good English. Excessively using description and a "sophisticated" vocabulary is deemed as purple prose. Purple prose writing is writing that is more ornate than it needs to be (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_prose).

While you may believe some of what I said is based on opinion, it's actually accepted as the doctrine of proper English.

Last edited:
Level 36
I've re-written the whole prologue. Its the same setting, only told with other words and some additional information and details to it. Hope this version is better and more entertaining. Now I only have to go through the first chapter and fix it up some. Then I will release it as well.

Level 5
[/quote]Well.. Novels is, by far, my utmost favorite texts and I love writing them.[/quote]

Novels are quite an undertaking. o_O

Anyway, I don't really want to say toooo much, mainly because I'm being kind of lazy right now. But I will say this:

The man of which seemed to be named Elthario looked at the priest with eyes filled of hatred. Ten seconds passed, ten seconds where the time seemed to leak away, slowly, as if it had never been there.

Extremely awkward constructions, especially in the first sentence. A simpler way to put it:

Elthario's eyes tore into the priest.

You should never say something with more words than it takes to say it.

Level 36
You are absolutely right, I will go through the text once more after work and see if there is any other sentences like that I can.. Shorten :p

And I know they are, that is why I'm saying that I am not aiming to become a professional writer >.> At least not for this moment.. I write on my spare time and Novels is my type of choice simply because thats where I can be most inventive and let my fantasy go wild ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.