• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Acceptable Amount of Doodads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Just a quick question as far as rescource hogging goes...

What's an acceptable amount of Doodads (Destructable) in a map as far as performance?
The map I'm working on generates Destructables, but I need to know an acceptable number for a 192x192 map. (180x180 playable I believe)

Based on the variables I have at the moment, the number of Destructables being generated is between 8000-15000. It doesn't seem to bog down my system even when I have the entire map visible at 15000, so I'm thinking with fog, most people should be ok? Any suggestions?
There are no other pre-set doodads.

Also want to note that with ~12000-15000 destructables and fog of war, Warcraft.exe is using around 100-120mb of memory.

See more details here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...g-contest-12-a-270696/index8.html#post2744178

Last edited:
Level 15
Well, destructibles have never been a problem of numbers as far as I know. They are also not repeatedly-animated unless you do that via triggers. Since you face no problem of performance even by disabling fog and the mask , there should be no problem. Destructibles don't use a huge rendering-interval as same as units. There is nothing to worry about.

Pre-set or generated doodads will be the same, along the game, (in terms of performance), the difference will be the generating-lag when you generate them all at once. If you don't, never worry.

However, 120 MB of memory seems fine to me (It's 2015, how wouldn't someone have a 1GB Memory ?!)

There is something good in Warcraft's engine, it is that when a destructible is not included within Camera's view area, they won't be animated/shown, making the game just show them everytime Camera shows them ONLY.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.