• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Abyss ORPG v1.26B

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
This is the first Beta for my ORPG. It still needs quests, because mine do not always work. If you would like to fix my quests for me I will give you credits as long as you create quests that I want for my storyline.

Keywords:
RPG role playing game awesome new abyss ORPG MMORPG v1.26 v1.26B Bloodbane7 epic map size
Contents

Abyss ORPG v1.26B (Map)

Reviews
13:46, 20th Jun 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 5
The royal class upgrades to a knight and doesn't gain a new spell besides attrib bonus =/.

Taking every ability slot would be nice too as it gets boring with just 4 or 5 abilities sorta.

I don't like how abilities are sort of nerfed when u go class advancement 2 u gotta level really high for them to be good, u should just let them be the same until level 10 then later levels they're weaker like 200% goes to 203% then next level 206% etc.

More custom skins, better terrain, etc.

Also how do you get to that island with the thieves guild on it and whats the max level.

Don't clutter units up in dungeons D:

Last edited:
Level 28
uhm.. i am on complete disagree with this post. all blizzard models with good use always is better than to import full extra models without good use, increasing the map size unnecesary.
I agree with this statement.
However: tileset variation, terrain height and doodads are extremely important.

• Don't use blizzard cliffs unless you REALLY need it, use the terrain heigher/lower tool instead.
  • Don't suddenly switch between completely different tilesets, you need to make some sort of transition (like a gradient, with tilesets).
  • Don't randomly place doodads: doodads have to be carefully chosen for each terrain.
  • When creating a new map, select "Initial Water level: shallow", that way you can create beautiful rivers and anything else that has to do with water.
    Yet again: don't use standard water, as it uses blizzard cliffs and looks stupid (only for Norway-like cliffs it's good, though that can be made with doodads as well, which is yet again better).
  • Don't use cinematic doodads, just don't.
  • Use a lot of Environmental doodads where it fits.

As for the rest: either remove "No single player allowed", or keep it this way (that computers count as non-single player).
It's an extremely stupid function for testing maps, as I rarely test maps in multiplayer.

Bugs/Things which require attention:
  • When you buy an item that's not meant to be carried by you, it drops.
    This sucks, as you can lose a significant amount of money that way, make it so you get your gold back and the item dissapears.
  • Cursed Keyblades give +35atk instead of +70.
  • Ghost Keyblade gives +20atk instead of +40.
  • Blood Keyblade gives +25atk instead of +50.
  • Don't use 'Time until all items on map vanish'-system, use a system which allows you to remove each item one by one if it's been on the map for over 2 minutes.
  • A 7.5 sec stun for a 10 sec cooldown-spell is obviously way too long (frostbolt).
  • I didn't get the class increase... I was a spellcaster, went to the mage guild at level 27, talked to the head mage and received a quest to kill 15 mage apprentices (or something).
    I killed them, no quest-message appeared, but when I killed about 50 of them (to be sure I had enough kills, since I couldn't see how much I had killed yet), I went to the guy again and he didn't say anything.
    Bugged quest or did I forget something?
  • You can bug the 'dungeons' by standing next to the cliff where the boss is, same bug as in Defiance ORPG, where you could do the exact same thing.
  • Create more items.
  • You either don't have a variable for "Hero", or you were too lazy to edit the save/load system to save this variable "Hero" and not "Random units of player" as the hero.
    I believe that it's because of this that the save/load has a 50% chance to bug when you own a pet.
    Otherwise, I have no idea what causes the save/load to bug, if I could take a look at it perhaps I'd see the problem.
  • No death message.
  • I didn't quite like the item tooltips.
  • If you forget which quests you were doing, you're doomed: there's no way to check it again.

I might've forgotten something, but this can keep you busy for quite a while I believe.
If there's anything you need help with, feel free to ask.

Rejected.

Level 7
Hmm yeah I see all of your points guys. The Blizzard cliffs and cluttered doodads and such. Still, it would take a lot of time to fix this and do it over, maybe I'll redo it one day. I made this map like 5 months ago and uploaded it yesterday because I fixed a glitch and had an inspiration to start world editor again. I've certainly learned a lot just from you guys pointing out my errors and I'm glad my map was rejected so I can learn from my massive mistakes. I'm kind of looking back on it myself and wondering wtf I was doing with my class system because its too confusing and pretty much sucks. Other than that it doesn't even have working quests.

I'm thinking on uploading this map un-optimized/un-locked just so I can learn more from The Hive. Thanks guys!
EDIT:
Don't use cinematic doodads, just don't.
Hmm, how do I use fire and such if I needed it in an ORPG? Not that I need it right now, I'm just wondering.
EDIT: (Again sorry)
Also how do you get to that island with the thieves guild on it and whats the max level.
Uhh, I'm pretty sure I made the max level 9999. . .lol
I don't believe I added a thieves guild, but you need an assassin's pass to enter the assassin's guild north of the main city.

Level 28
If you really need fire, then you can just use it in moderate amounts.
You can also use a custom fire model (about 5kB).

I said that because of this:

cineeffects.jpg

I know that you didn't do this, but I've seen this far too much and people have to realize that this is not a good-looking terrain.
By the way: this is an actual screeny of a map on the hive (also rejected).

I'm glad that you're thinking about unprotecting the map, since unprotected maps are (in my opinion) far better.
They let newbs as well as the author learn how to improve their skills.

If I were you, I'd redo the map completely.
This will take another few months (longer than the first time I believe, even though you already have everything set up: you need to improve all triggers, the terrain and the objects).
Looking back at a map you made a while ago always leaves a "WTF"-moment, unless you didn't really improve in that time ^^

I like the idea of the class system (basically the same as another ORPG, of which I forgot the name... I do remember I had 3 max level, max class heroes though).
You just didn't really turn this idea into something good :X

Basically: if you need help, create a thread in World Editor Help Zone, or ask it here.

Level 7
I thought up of another question will away from the Hive, since Blizzard cliff terrain is horrible, how do you stop ranged units from attacking through hills and such. Do the pathing blockers block attacks?
EDIT:
I'm glad that you're thinking about unprotecting the map, since unprotected maps are (in my opinion) far better.
They let newbs as well as the author learn how to improve their skills.
I would leave all of my maps unprotected if I knew no-one would steal a project and slap there name on it. But I know there are people who do that. . .

Level 28
I thought up of another question will away from the Hive, since Blizzard cliff terrain is horrible, how do you stop ranged units from attacking through hills and such. Do the pathing blockers block attacks?
Hm, good question..
After thinking a while I came up with this:
JASS:
function CheckHills takes unit u, unit t returns nothing
    local real x1 = GetUnitX(u)
    local real y1 = GetUnitY(u)
    local real x2 = GetUnitX(t)
    local real y2 = GetUnitY(t)
    local real x3 = x1
    local real y3 = y1
    local location loc
    local integer i = 0
    local real MaxZ
    local real StartZ
    local real EndZ

set loc = Location(x1, y1)
    set StartZ = GetLocationZ(loc)
    call RemoveLocation(loc)
    set loc = Location(x2, y2)
    set EndZ = GetLocationZ(loc)
    call RemoveLocation(loc)
    set MaxZ = StartZ

loop
        set i = i+1
        exitwhen i >= R2I(SquareRoot((x2-x1) * (x2-x1) + (y2-y1) * (y2-y1))) / 50

set loc = Location(x3, y3)
        set x3 = x3 + 50. * Cos(Atan2(y2 - y1, x2 - x1) * 0.017453292 * 0.017453292)
        set y3 = y3 + 50. * Sin(Atan2(y2 - y1, x2 - x1) * 0.017453292 * 0.017453292)

if GetLocationZ(loc) > MaxZ then
            set MaxZ = GetLocationZ(loc)
        endif
        call RemoveLocation(loc)
    endloop

if MaxZ > EndZ+30. and MaxZ > StartZ+30. then
        call IssueImmediateOrder(u, "stop")
    endif

set loc = null
endfunction
Don't worry!
You don't need to know the slightest bit of JASS to use this.
The only thing you need to is add this function in the map header and then create this trigger:

• test
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Custom script: call CheckHills(GetAttacker(), GetTriggerUnit())
And the entire system is working ^^
No variables required, this is really all there is to it.

I've attached a map so you can see it for yourself.

By the way: you can still shoot over a little hill, but that was intentional - if you wish to change the size of the hill you can shoot over, you need to change this:

if MaxZ > EndZ+30. and MaxZ > StartZ+30. then

It's at the end of the function.
Change the "+30." (there are 2 of them!) to anything you like.
The higher the number, the higher the hill you can shoot over.

I would leave all of my maps unprotected if I knew no-one would steal a project and slap there name on it. But I know there are people who do that. . .
People are idiots, you'll have to live with that fact.
Protecting a map only makes it more challenging for them :/

I usually add a few trigger comments to note that the map is open source and may be edited at free will, as long as credits are given where due.

By the way: even if people steal your map, they won't get far anyway: a map rarely becomes popular, and if it does just be sure to have a WIP-version of the map ready.

Attachments

• AttackHills.w3x
    23.4 KB · Views: 175
Level 7
Now that is sweet triggering right there. I was going to attempt to learn JASS but never got around to anything other than the basics. You rock Ap0calypse, thanks for helping.
+rep

P.S.
Your username is used in my band name. Sweetness.

Level 7
Well you WERE in the band name, until we realized it was too hard for other people to remember, so we need a new name -.-. We have songs but we can decide on a band name that isn't taken @.@. We currently have 3 songs that can be considered Metalcore but we play Metal. We plan on playing a variety of different kinds of Metal including some pure Screamo songs. We like the mixture of screaming and melodic vocals with the sound of distorted guitar. We also throw in some acoustic guitar in one song. If your wondering wtf 3 songs? Its because we started about 3 weeks ago lolz.

And I play rhythm guitar/backup lead. (Backup lead makes me sound more important :p)

Level 28
Aww, I don't think apocalypse is too hard to remember :( But maybe that's because I've been using that name for years :p
Nice to see a new metalcore band, although I prefer melodeath more myself I've seen some awesome metalcore concerts (such as all that remains and hatebreed).

Good luck with the band! (I also play guitar btw :p)

Level 1
Help Me Find Forsaken One

Uhhh Bloodbane could you tell where i could find the forsaken one please? I am having a hard time finding him. Plz reply