• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

About THW 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Thank you, Mythic.

I am not suggesting that we leave Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2, I am suggesting that we add Dota 2 to our repertoire.

Little interest in Dota 2 modding exists because the tools were just barely released, the tools are in Alpha, and the community around it is just getting off the ground. I'm simply trying to stir up some interest and get things moving and see what kind of interest there is. The best way to do that is to begin to provide some relevant resources, or at least point people towards them.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Dota 2 sucks, I prefer Hive not to go Dota direction or I'll leave. I will never be a part of Dota community.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Too close.

And what's the role of sentence "How hard is that to understand?" in your post? My post was:
"Dota 2 sucks," <- declared my opinion
"I prefer Hive not to go Dota direction" <- made a statement after declaring my opinion
"Or I'll leave." <- told how serious I was
"I will never be a part of Dota community." <- more serious
Everything has a role in it. You:
"We're not really talking about playing Dota2 but about the potential of modding using Dota2's tools." <- say "you're not talking about dota 2 but a portion of dota 2" yeah, talking about vegetables and tomatoes is a completely different thing, i gotch'ya.
"How hard is that to understand?" <- make a statement that it's hard for me to understand that you're talking about a portion of dota 2 instead of dota 2 as a whole, but I've never said it's hard for me to understand such a thing. don't make assumptions out of other people.
and what new does your post add to the discussion? you just ask for how difficult it is for me to understand that you're talking about a portion of d2 instead of d2 as a whole, but I don't think you do anything with that. why did you even ask that? seems to me your post offers nothing new to this thread, i'm really interested in hearing why did you post that comment.

We're not really talking about playing Dota2 but about the potential of modding using Dota2's tools. How hard is that to understand? Oh wait, you're blinded by hatred. sigh.

*sigh* what's the point? You already have SC2 Galaxy Editor, it is already too advanced. If you want to expand your modding capabilities beyond Wc3 Engine then start doing something with SC2. SC2 Editor has more support and tutorials than DoTA 2 currently has. As I said, it is a waste of time to use DoTA 2 Engine.

If you need more empty forum space or Hive "space" for DotA 2 content then I won't stand in anyone's way. I don't care about it, if you need it then request and start another voting thread with a poll. And maybe, just maybe it will come into Hive 2.

But the problem is that Hive already has SC2 content, but it is not as big as WC3's content ever was. Seemingly DoTa 2 will be even worse and possibly in-active in content = meaning no support or resources.

I have no problem with having DoTa 2 "modding support" in Hive 2. But I think that it is quite unnecessary. And what about Copyright? Is it even prohibited to use?

Level 15
Dota 2 is an option that, at the moment, offers a very robust tool set and what appears to be a greater chance at long-term growth. If Heroes of the Storm includes a great tool/editor, then that will also be considered. I would almost prefer that, as it wouldn't alienate the strong blizzard presence here.

However, we have yet to hear much regarding the HotS editor, so we're exploring the other options right now. I don't speak for Ralle, and I will never claim to. Rather I am just trying to gauge interest and potential.

Now, some constructive feedback as to why you do not support Dota 2 modding would be welcome, but again, statements such as, "Dota 2 sucks" don't contribute much to the discussion. You have stated your opinion, and I am grateful for that, but some additional, constructive feedback or explanation would be very much appreciated.

Dota 2 is an option that, at the moment, offers a very robust tool set and what appears to be a greater chance at long-term growth. If Heroes of the Storm includes a great tool/editor, then that will also be considered. I wold almost prefer that, as it wouldn't alienate the strong blizzard presence here.

However, we have yet to hear much regarding the HotS editor, so we're exploring the other options right now. I don't speak for Ralle, and I will never claim to. Rather I am just trying to gauge interest and potential.

Now, some constructive feedback as to why you do not support Dota 2 modding would be welcome, but again, statements such as, "Dota 2 sucks" don't contribute much to the discussion. You have stated your opinion, and I am grateful for that, but some additional, constructive feedback or explanation would be very much appreciated.

I did that... Please read my above statement.

Level 28
Ah ghad, learn how to quote properly. Its hard to read what you're posting.

"We're not really talking about playing Dota2 but about the potential of modding using Dota2's tools." <- say "you're not talking about dota 2 but a portion of dota 2" yeah, talking about vegetables and tomatoes is a completely different thing, i gotch'ya.

So let me ask you a thing. Since you're saying Dota 2 sucks then I assume you'd played and modded the game? Since its utterly pointless to tell you what the difference of playing and modding this game because it is already stamped in your brain that you hate this shit so just answer that and give us at least a point with weight.

Of course technically you're right but I still cannot see that making a mod using Dota2 actually means that you're actually playing "dota 2" with those bitchy, whiny players.

"How hard is that to understand?" <- make a statement that it's hard for me to understand that you're talking about a portion of dota 2 instead of dota 2 as a whole, but I've never said it's hard for me to understand such a thing. don't make assumptions out of other people.

We're obviously talking about modding and you come in saying Dota2 sucks. That comment completely stating that both gaming and modding sucks because it looks to me that you're talking about Dota2 as a whole. So of course I'll make assumptions.

and what new does your post add to the discussion?Seems to me your post offers nothing new to this thread, i'm really interested in hearing why did you post that comment.

Same with your former post though, your post doesn't give valid arguments as to why we should not branch to Dota2 aside from saying that it sucks. Isn't making a thread about Lol vs Dota2 with a poll with only Lol as your choice enough??! We get it already, you hate the damn thing!

I don't know if I missed a point that have to be answer in your post but I'm not gonna bother. Your post is hard to read.

I don't know, Galaxy Editor never really appealed to me. I watch a yt video using Dota2 workshop and its appealing to me more and my friend. Both of us doesn't play Dota2 but only interested about modding there. I've shown him Galaxy Editor and he doesn't like it. He's an actual programmer so he's more interested with LUA.

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
A lot of writing in here! You know what would be cool idea for the new hive? Maybe our models/skins/icons/tools .. exc can be used in places more than just warcraft 3. What i mean is maybe blizzard likes one of our icons on here and uses it in there new game? Just an idea.. since not many people play war3 much anymore, i don't play it much anymore. It just gives our resources more places too go instead of just war3 if you know what i mean. Also, if they did use our resources then obviously they would have to give permission and all that jazz..

Level 28
A lot of writing in here! You know what would be cool idea for the new hive? Maybe our models/skins/icons/tools .. exc can be used in places more than just warcraft 3. What i mean is maybe blizzard likes one of our icons on here and uses it in there new game? Just an idea.. since not many people play war3 much anymore, i don't play it much anymore. It just gives our resources more places too go instead of just war3 if you know what i mean. Also, if they did use our resources then obviously they would have to give permission and all that jazz..

You can use your stuffs in Starcraft II. Just convert it but I don't know if you can upload it(I think you can) since no one ever submitted a resource for War3 and SC II here AFAIC.

Level 15
I did that... Please read my above statement.

Ah, we posted at about thevery same time, hence why I didn't reply.

That is definitely a valid argument, and a valid concern. I don't think Ralle has any plans to go full-bore with Dota 2 yet, so it will probably remain a sub-forum for now. Right now, I just want to test the waters and see where things go for now. If things grow and a larger section of the site becomes necessary, then awesome. If not, oh well, nothing was lost.

Nothing ventures, nothing gained.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

"Ah ghad, learn how to quote properly. Its hard to read what you're posting." Okay, I can use the [quote ] tags if you so insist, it's not like it's a timetaking thing.
So let me ask you a thing.
Why did you say that? That's just a filler thing which has nothing to do with anything. You ask about if I understand that you're talking about a portion of d2 instead of whole d2, but you don't even do anything with that information.
Since you're saying Dota 2 sucks then I assume you'd played and modded the game?
Hmm... So because I said "Dota 2 sucks", you assume I:
-played the game
-modded the game
That's a big assumption, you're even half right. Yes I've played a couple of Dota 2 matches with some dragon guy. I even played both matches to the end, even though I didn't like the balance theme the d2 team relies on. They have way less burst dmg involved, which is the case in LoL, as LoL relies on perfect imbalance. So I kind of like the imbalance Riot uses to balance their game.
But no, I have not used any modding tool. Why would I, if I'm not into the game itself? I have not found a reason to quit wc3 modding. I still can get people to join my games on b.net, I have friends to play my maps on LAN with, for me wc3 is just good and the World Editor - modding tool is powerful enough for me. So because a) I dislike the game itself b) I have wc3 WE , I feel like I don't need to find any replacements. But I have tried C++, Java, Game Maker, Galaxy Editor and Age of Empires editor to make games with instead. AoE full-screen in-game editor was crappy, and the c++ is too timetaking just like java, even Galaxy editor is too timetaking. GM was fun, but it seems I've uninstalled it and I no longer remember GML. But yeah, if you are to say "you can't say WC3 WE is perfect for you if you even haven't tried other options", you're dead wrong. As D2 experimental development tools are only one option amongst the millions, the little chance of me actually having tried it is little to none, I don't know how one can assume I've tried it just because I've said "Dota 2 sucks". If you reference to the argument of yours "we're talking about dota 2 modding not dota 2 as whole", and you are to say "we were talking about d2 modding and you say 'dota 2 sucks' you obviously need to have tested the modding tool before you state so", well no, I don't need to have tested the tool to think dota 2 sucks. and in the end it's own opinion which games i prefer.
Oh you seemed to have added something to the original post:
Oh wait, you're blinded by hatred. sigh.
Well your argument is perfect if you had linked the fanboy video, and said "you are fanboy of other company than valve and you can't agree if i say 'd2 is better', not even if i could scientifically prove it to you, so what's the reason to even try to explain it to you?". But I'm not fanboy of Heroes, LoL, HoN or Smite. I like playing LoL and I prefer it to D2, but I don't like it so much that I wouldn't consider to switching over to Dota 2. Atm Heroes seems stronger competitor tbh, as Dota 2 seems to have too deep learning curve.
Since its utterly pointless to tell you what the difference of playing and modding this game because it is already stamped in your brain that you hate this shit so just answer that and give us at least a point with weight.
I think this is a argument you had there:
There's a difference between modding dota 2 and playing it.
I can believe this. So I guess what you try to state is that because I said "dota 2 sucks", there is no way I could differentiate modding from the game. I might try the editor one day, but as I said above, I have not had any need to do so.
And sentence as a whole:
It's of no use to tell you the difference between playing D2 and modding it.
I think that what you try to say is that even though I'd dislike the game, I could still approve the modding of Dota 2, but as I've strongly stated that Dota 2 sucks, it's of no use to tell me that. I won't approve the D2 modding as I feel no need to, as WC3 WE is enough for me. The thing is, I'm just going to quit hive if we make a step towards Dota 2 - oriented modding. I signed up here for Warcraft 3 modding, and I fear that WC3's role will fade away as the Dota 2 orientation would bring new users only interested in Dota 2 here. And as Dota 2 is alive and maybe even growing as a modding scene, and wc3 modding scene shrinking as it's very old game, Dota 2 might take over hive pretty easily. As I'm not interested in D2, I'll just quit.
Oh you continue it:
and give us at least a point with weight.
Hmm, well I think this post has one point, if that.
Of course technically you're right but I still cannot see that making a mod using Dota2 actually means that you're actually playing "dota 2" with those bitchy, whiny players.
I'm just going to insert a weirded out face here because I don't know what to think of that sentence:
o.o
We're obviously talking about modding and you come in saying Dota2 sucks. That comment completely stating that both gaming and modding sucks because it looks to me that you're talking about Dota2 as a whole. So of course I'll make assumptions.
For me modding is a part of Dota 2, just like playing it is. Yes I talk them as a whole, the dev tool offers no good to me, as I have no interested in the game, thus I have no interest in using the tool.
Same with your former post though, your post doesn't give valid arguments as to why we should not branch to Dota2 aside from saying that it sucks.
Well I have my point as clear as I can state it above in this post.
Isn't making a thread about Lol vs Dota2 with a poll with only Lol as your choice enough??! We get it already, you hate the damn thing!
I don't know if I hate Dota 2. Yes I said it sucks and I'll quit the site if we move towards it, and I still stand behind it, you could say I hate it at the moment. No preferral is eternal.

I'll bold out the text which has my most important message.

Level 28
Lets just agree to disagree. I cannot fault you for hating Dota 2 as it is full of bitchy, whiny players heck even my friends who play Dota2 is like that. But to disapprove of its modding capability is just totally a ridiculous idea when you never even try modding there yet.

I'm an open minded person and is willing to listen as to why we should not go to Dota2's but your first post never really deliver that thus starting this messy conversation.

Anyway, I don't want to make this silly argument bigger so lets just end it here. But if you still want to then fine I'll argue with you some more but I'm not seeing any good ending for both of us here.

If I did not make any sense on my previous post then is because that's like three in the morning.

Lets just agree to disagree. I cannot fault you for hating Dota 2 as it is full of bitchy, whiny players heck even my friends who play Dota2 is like that. But to disapprove of its modding capability is just totally a ridiculous idea when you never even try modding there yet.

I'm an open minded person and is willing to listen as to why we should not go to Dota2's but your first post never really deliver that thus starting this messy conversation.

Anyway, I don't want to make this silly argument bigger so lets just end it here. But if you still want to then fine I'll argue with you some more but I'm not seeing any good ending for both of us here.

If I did not make any sense on my previous post then is because that's like three in the morning.

But... but you have SC2 Modding capabilities, it even shares the same support both from the Blizzard and THW. Why take DoTA 2? You can do much more with SC 2. Yes you don't make any sense.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
We're 30 minutes away from new year here, so I won't elaborate much. I overheard sayings that the current DotA 2 tools are heavily oriented towards AoS/Moba/whatever they're called these days games. If they happen to make it more generic, I'm pretty sure there is always going to be an implicit distinction between playing the game and modding it. Just ask around the Hive or any other Wc3 modding site and you'll see the amount of people who plain loathe Wc3 melee gameplay.

P.S. — Also, we've had the not-the-site's-theme issue in the past. It was the source of much foulmouthing and degrading. One of the quarrels was between proving this was a wc3-oriented site or a social site. I thought it had been established that the Hive could and can change to whatever it likes (as long as it goes beyond creating a forum).

Status
Not open for further replies.