• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

AbominationPissed2.wav

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I'm sick and tired of the default voices of the standard units...
It would be nice to have some custom sound sets, like in Pyrite's map. Why isn't there a "sounds" section among the available resources in The Hive? do imported voices make the maps too big?
If so, a section for sound effects would be anyway nice.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Why isn't there a "sounds" section among the available resources in The Hive?

Moderating such a section would stretch our limated recources even further. Also it would be difficult to moderate as people will most likly try and submit stolen sounds which violates our rules.

do imported voices make the maps too big?
Yes. Also they add little as far as gameplay is concerned and so are not recomended for multiplayer maps. For singleplayer however, as they have no size limate, you can use as many as you wish.

If so, a section for sound effects would be anyway nice.
Obviously there would be one if a sound section was made. However there are near no plans for one at all in the future.

Level 9
Thank you for the answer.
I know sounds are just a decoration, but if you know what I mean, it's pretty annoying hearing Laser Troopers saying "taste my sword", or Aragorn of the Lord of The Rings shouting "For the silver hand!". Some maps are just perfect, custom terrain representing the Death Star, Acrobatic Jedi custom skills, and Yoda is a model of yoda, not Gul'Dan, BUT it still says "For Draenor!" when he attacks. Damn. It's the only thing nobody ever changes.
Though I understand the problems that this new section would cause, the great work it would require, and so, I go to hell, and accept your just denial.

Level 17
They dont add alot of space really, as long as you arent putting in full length songs.

Yes. Also they add little as far as gameplay is concerned

Oh lookie. So do Models, Skins and Icons.

lso it would be difficult to moderate as people will most likly try and submit stolen sounds which violates our rules.

Out of all of your useless points (In my opinion) thats the only one that makes sense. And infact, thats the one that really matters. Because its a HUGE obstacle.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Out of all of your useless points (In my opinion) thats the only one that makes sense.

All? Well concidering there only was 3 which you could comment on, it was not that much.
Unlike models which are visually noticable, sounds are only noticable if that unit is head of the group and if you preform the right ques. Thus it is recomendable to rather put more custom models than custom sound. Also WC3's support for custom sound is limated, allowing only the addition of music and sound affects. Inorder to make custom unit sound affects when you select, move, attack etc, you have to overwrite an ingame one via importing over it. This was a flaw with the WC3 engine itself (not allowing custom sound sets).

Moderating such a section would mean that moderators skilled with sound would need to be found, which currently are lacking (espeically since they need to find out if sounds are stolen or not which is not an easy job).

Level 14
We already have our own brand of sound section - Sound / Music Art - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site its still a forum but you can find voice actors and write the words for them to speak your self so its better in the long run.

Moderating such a section would mean that moderators skilled with sound would need to be found, which currently are lacking (espeically since they need to find out if sounds are stolen or not which is not an easy job).

Yeah I use to do some sound moderating on my friends site and it was a hard job because you'd have to have a copy of the authors voice and then the sound set they submitted and you'd have to take them to a special program and zoom in to look at the differences. And it would be basically impossible for a master sound actor who can change there voice to where it doesn't even seem like the same person.

Also - look at Ralle's to-do list - Project Ideas (Third priority) its in his project ideas so it was brought up before but not sure if it'll actually happen.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f97/hiveworkshop-com-do-list-changelog-32064/

Status
Not open for further replies.