• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Abomination should spawn units when it dies? which units?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
TLDR: in your imagination, what would spawn from abomination death and how exactly it would happen?

For human player we could make abomination stronger if he cannibalize more, but that wouldnt work too well for AI.

Long Version:
Jaina said:
That creature looks like it was sewn together from... different corpses.
which corpses made Abominations?

I will give abominations abilities based on (Spawn Hydra) and (Spawn Hydra Hatchling); but im thinking which units should spawn from Abomination Death, and how many from each. I had these in mind:
  1. Ghouls
  2. Zombies,
  3. Skeletons, or some of its variations (Giant skel, skel archer, etc)
but how many is each, for melee like map? I have many reasons why I want to trigger this instead of use this spawn ability:

1. First, when it spawns many units, the spawning position doesnt seem proper. it is as if they are spawning from barracks, and not in the centre of the dead abomination.
  2. Zombies play nice birth animation when they spawn, and skeletons too. However, ghouls do not seem to have good.Ideally, which animation do you think fits ghouls the most? Id take maybe canniblalize (eat corpse) animation. but then that would waste too much of ghoul time if it went for too long.
  3. AFAIK spawned units are not dispellable. do you think in this case they should take Dispel Damage? if yes then must base it on other abilities/trigger.
now im thinking if I did it through trigger, then what would be the best way to make animation look smooth? I might also add some randomness while im doing the trigger (maybe have 10%chance to spawn burning archer or whatever)

@KILLCIDE I wasnt sure if this is the perfect forum. I guess half this post fits WC3 Disccusion, and the other half fits WEHZ

@Daffa @deepstrasz @Rui @MasterHaosis @StoPCampinGn00b @Turnro @RED BARON @Soul Reaver @kamukag3e @General Frank @Cleclejossstone @defskull @morbent @MasterTrainer @Hardtime

According to original draft of Warcraft III in the Beta, or Alpha (not sure), 3 Ghoul creates one Abomination.

Edit: my 1000th Post x)

Last edited:
Level 16
I'd say anything goes. Anything from humans to bears.

As for the amount, depends purely on the stats.
Spawning bears would be weird? unliss you mean bear corpses?

I was reffering for abominations to spawn Undead moving creatures which continue to fight, and not just some dead corpses.

@Daffa
According to original draft of Warcraft III in the Beta, or Alpha (not sure), 3 Ghoul creates one Abomination.
Like Archer+Hyppogryiffs?
it easy to do it for 2 units, but how would that be coded for 3 units?
maybe its like a zepplin with 3 cargo space and when fully loaded will upgrade to abomination lol

Edit: actually its not hard to code, find if 3 ghouls are within range, and then find the mid point between them, and then order them to move to that point and once they are close they will combine.
or simpler way is to ask the two side ghouls to move to the central one and combine. and he will eat them once they come close enough.

Level 20
Thematically, I don't feel that any of existing vanilla units fits what you're asking for as I imagine that the process of sewing together different corpes leaves them as a disfigured mass of meat that doesn't really resemble what it once was.

The ideal solution would be to have a custom model for - for instance - "Abomination Arm" and have the Abomination spawn two of them. Or have a custom model that represents pretty much an animated mass of flesh, for example following this model, but with a more meat-ish color palette:

Fleshbeast.png

Alternatively, you might also go a bit nuts and... spawn some maggots or whatever, with the fantasy that they're feeding of the rotten meat inside the abomination. Here's a model that would work pretty well:
Gross Bug

That said, if you want to use a vanilla model, I'd say that the Ghoul would be the most appropriate, because - unless I'm missing something - it seems to be the one that resembles a twisted, disorganized corpse the most.

Last edited:
Level 16
Thematically, I don't feel that any of existing vanilla units fits what you're asking for as I imagine that the process of sewing together different corpes leaves them as a disfigured mass of meat that doesn't really resemble what it once was.

that may be true for Abomination skin, but abominations have Cannibalize ability where they eat other corpses. I assumed some where not fully digested they will spawn.

Level 7
I don't like cannibalize too much. Instead, I would push the "corpses as a resource" angle way harder.

I would give the abomination the ability to swallow corpses/ghouls, storing them in its belly, up to four. Then you would be able to process those resources in three different ways:
  • The abomination vomits a huge load of green acid against its enemies. Think of Breath of Fire but nastier.
  • The abomination stops moving and attacking, and starts convulsing to digest the corpses and heal.
  • The abomination spits out the corpses/ghouls it has inside. The ghouls heal while inside the abomination, so it's useful to swallow them when they're about to die. Abominations cast this automatically once killed too.
Of course, I don't think this would work too well with how the undead race is designed, but it could still be useful for new units or custom races.

Level 8
The abomination should spawn Troll Headhunters!... Just kiddin' mon.
If I were ya, I'll use Ghouls because they're more similar to the abomination with their cannibalize ability.
Don't worry about Ghouls' animation. The Blizzard's its self doesn't used any cool animation for the spawning of the Hydra, mon.

Status
Not open for further replies.