1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest. The contest is optionally paired. Best of luck, people!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Abilities That Can Dodge Projectiles

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by DysfunctionaI, Feb 24, 2014.

1. DysfunctionaI

DysfunctionaI

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I need to know all the abilities that can dodge airborne projectiles.

It can't be done with triggers, so that's why I need abilities. The only way to make a unit dodge something with triggers is to hide, then unhide, but that messes with selection, and I've tried to force players to reselect after but it's just not fast enough.

Here's what I got (and their problems):

Mirror Image:

Probably the best one so far, only problem is that it moves the caster a little bit, even with Cast Range set to zero. This can't be fixed with SetUnitX/Y because there's no event to catch the end of a Mirror Image cast... I tried. Even with a timer, you can visibly see the unit jerk and it doesn't look nice.

Storm, Earth, and Fire:

This one is pretty good too. Problem here is that SOMETIMES you can see the caster 'morphing' with the timer UI, even when the duration is set to 0.01. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's also undesirable. The caster DOES stay in place however, when Cast Range is set to zero.

Blink:

Can't use it because this is the ability that I'm trying to re-create. The problem with Blink is that it won't allow you to cast it on cliffs or lower terrain, which is a problem in my map. So I'm trying to make a new Blink based off of Channel, and then re-create the dodge effect.

Any ideas? I'm clueless at this point.

2. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    To make projectiles easily dodgeable, you need to use custom projectiles instead of the normal spell projectiles

3. DysfunctionaI

DysfunctionaI

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Can't be done because the projectiles are based off of the Phoenix Fire ability. They're VERY intensive and the whole game revolves around them.

4. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    you could still make a custom phoenix fire like ability... that is if ur willing to go great lengths... though the customizability is far worth it IMHO...

PS: don't use red and dark blue / blue... it hurts

5. pOke

pOke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Phase Shift

Divine Shield .01, not sure if this disjoints actually.

Does giving magic immunity for a brief instance enough to disjoint? Bladestorm/Item Magic Resistance

Sorceress invisible/WW/Permanent invis?

6. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    phase shift might interfere with the movement, and phase-shift has a visible effect... same with DS... I think he doesn't want anything with a visible mark

7. DysfunctionaI

DysfunctionaI

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It just really wouldn't be worth it for this map; it's like BattleShips or Battle Tanks, and I'd rather just take out 'dodging' than coding all of the weapons.

I just tried Phase Shift and you can still be targeted by spells... I didn't know that. It does dodge normal attacks though, just not spells.

Unfortunately they don't disjoint projectiles. I've thought about adding stuff like that to simulate a dodge, but it would interfere with other spells that may be casted on you simultaneously.

There are a lot of other spells that act just like Blink, but NONE of them can be used on Naval units.

Staff of Teleportation
    Amulet of Recall
    Item Town Portal
    Mass Teleport
    (like 2 others I think)

Those would work perfectly... but NONE of them can be used on Naval units. Blink seems to be the only teleport skill that allows a Naval unit to use it.

8. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    why not use shockwave based spells (probably casted via dummies)? it might be more fitting for battle tanks rather than phoenix fire and homing missles

9. DysfunctionaI

DysfunctionaI

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The main reason is because the fan-base knows how these weapons operate so well (down to the smallest detail) that it would be impossible to re-create it.

The second reason is that, the amount of work it would take to code these weapons (theres more than 50 of them) and the resources they would consume, wouldn't be worth having a few spells that had an ability to dodge.

10. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Why exactly can't you do it with triggers? Dodging can just be a matter of damage modification. You just add a life bonus ability, and set the unit's hp so that the net damage ends up being 0 (and you can trigger the "dodge" text or w/e, and remove the life bonus afterward). You can look at Bribe's damage engine for info, or my old Damage Control system. Of course, you would need to update your damage detection so that it factors in the damage only after all the changes have been made, but that should be easy.

... unless it can't be triggered for some other reason.

11. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    No it's not impossible to re-create because of that... It's just not practical to do assuming you don't want the fan-base to need to adapt to new mechanics

12. Dat-C3

Dat-C3

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Lies, use invulnerability and animation triggers to hide its visibility or move it to another spot in map and lock player cam until spells done. All of what you asked is easily doable with triggers and should only take 1-3 days, 3 days being the most if your really not into your map. A custom projectile system would be best because well just take a look into SupCom, a wc3 map here at hive made by nazgul.