• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Abilities That Can Dodge Projectiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I need to know all the abilities that can dodge airborne projectiles.

It can't be done with triggers, so that's why I need abilities. The only way to make a unit dodge something with triggers is to hide, then unhide, but that messes with selection, and I've tried to force players to reselect after but it's just not fast enough.

Here's what I got (and their problems):

Mirror Image:

Probably the best one so far, only problem is that it moves the caster a little bit, even with Cast Range set to zero. This can't be fixed with SetUnitX/Y because there's no event to catch the end of a Mirror Image cast... I tried. Even with a timer, you can visibly see the unit jerk and it doesn't look nice.

Storm, Earth, and Fire:

This one is pretty good too. Problem here is that SOMETIMES you can see the caster 'morphing' with the timer UI, even when the duration is set to 0.01. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's also undesirable. The caster DOES stay in place however, when Cast Range is set to zero.

Blink:

Can't use it because this is the ability that I'm trying to re-create. The problem with Blink is that it won't allow you to cast it on cliffs or lower terrain, which is a problem in my map. So I'm trying to make a new Blink based off of Channel, and then re-create the dodge effect.

Any ideas? I'm clueless at this point.

Level 13
Phase Shift

Divine Shield .01, not sure if this disjoints actually.

Does giving magic immunity for a brief instance enough to disjoint? Bladestorm/Item Magic Resistance

Sorceress invisible/WW/Permanent invis?

Level 7
you could still make a custom phoenix fire like ability... that is if ur willing to go great lengths... though the customizability is far worth it IMHO...

PS: don't use red and dark blue / blue... it hurts

It just really wouldn't be worth it for this map; it's like BattleShips or Battle Tanks, and I'd rather just take out 'dodging' than coding all of the weapons.

Phase Shift

I just tried Phase Shift and you can still be targeted by spells... I didn't know that. It does dodge normal attacks though, just not spells.

Divine Shield .01, not sure if this disjoints actually.

Does giving magic immunity for a brief instance enough to disjoint? Bladestorm/Item Magic Resistance

Sorceress invisible/WW/Permanent invis?

Unfortunately they don't disjoint projectiles. I've thought about adding stuff like that to simulate a dodge, but it would interfere with other spells that may be casted on you simultaneously.

There are a lot of other spells that act just like Blink, but NONE of them can be used on Naval units.

Staff of Teleportation
Amulet of Recall
Item Town Portal
Mass Teleport
(like 2 others I think)

Those would work perfectly... but NONE of them can be used on Naval units. Blink seems to be the only teleport skill that allows a Naval unit to use it.

Level 7
why not use shockwave based spells (probably casted via dummies)? it might be more fitting for battle tanks rather than phoenix fire and homing missles

The main reason is because the fan-base knows how these weapons operate so well (down to the smallest detail) that it would be impossible to re-create it.

The second reason is that, the amount of work it would take to code these weapons (theres more than 50 of them) and the resources they would consume, wouldn't be worth having a few spells that had an ability to dodge.

Why exactly can't you do it with triggers? Dodging can just be a matter of damage modification. You just add a life bonus ability, and set the unit's hp so that the net damage ends up being 0 (and you can trigger the "dodge" text or w/e, and remove the life bonus afterward). You can look at Bribe's damage engine for info, or my old Damage Control system. Of course, you would need to update your damage detection so that it factors in the damage only after all the changes have been made, but that should be easy.

... unless it can't be triggered for some other reason.

I need to know all the abilities that can dodge airborne projectiles.

It can't be done with triggers, so that's why I need abilities. The only way to make a unit dodge something with triggers is to hide, then unhide, but that messes with selection, and I've tried to force players to reselect after but it's just not fast enough.

Here's what I got (and their problems):

Mirror Image:

Probably the best one so far, only problem is that it moves the caster a little bit, even with Cast Range set to zero. This can't be fixed with SetUnitX/Y because there's no event to catch the end of a Mirror Image cast... I tried. Even with a timer, you can visibly see the unit jerk and it doesn't look nice.

Storm, Earth, and Fire:

This one is pretty good too. Problem here is that SOMETIMES you can see the caster 'morphing' with the timer UI, even when the duration is set to 0.01. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's also undesirable. The caster DOES stay in place however, when Cast Range is set to zero.

Blink:

Can't use it because this is the ability that I'm trying to re-create. The problem with Blink is that it won't allow you to cast it on cliffs or lower terrain, which is a problem in my map. So I'm trying to make a new Blink based off of Channel, and then re-create the dodge effect.

Any ideas? I'm clueless at this point.

Lies, use invulnerability and animation triggers to hide its visibility or move it to another spot in map and lock player cam until spells done. All of what you asked is easily doable with triggers and should only take 1-3 days, 3 days being the most if your really not into your map. A custom projectile system would be best because well just take a look into SupCom, a wc3 map here at hive made by nazgul.

Status
Not open for further replies.