• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Abilities - Purchases & Upgrades with Items

Level 30

Abilities
Purchases & Upgrades with Items

This tutorial will teach you on how to purchase and upgrade abilities from shops, via items. This is heavily (ab)used in "Custom Hero" maps, where you can completely customize your Hero's spells. This system is fully MUI and MPI - all players can use it with unlimited count of different, or same, units.
Suggested readings are at the bottom of the page.

Content of tutorial:

I - Setting the Data
II - Variables
III - Buy & Upgrade Trigger

I - Setting the Data

First of all, before we go with the Triggers, we will need to declare some Object Data. If you already have your Abilities and purchasable Items, I still recommend you to read through this.
Okay, what we will need first are some skills. Go ahead and create few. In this tutorial, I will be using 4 skills - Barrage, Command Aura, Chain Lightning and a custom one, Death Gaze. I guess you already set your number of levels, mana cost, effects and other. That was easy enough, right? Make sure to check the requirements, since some Ladder abilities, such as Barrage, require certain upgrades to be used.

:wink: Hint: You don't need to set the Learn tooltips! These abilities can only be upgraded via triggers. Also, use Auto Fill option (Right Click on a field, -Auto Fill Levels-) to make everything faster and easier!

Now, let's create some items. The items should carry the icon and description of the skill, and they should also mention what is upgraded with each level. Only one item per one skill is allowed. It is advised to not put any stock cooldown, and to remove the model of the item; because you don't want those small lost particles lingering around.

:wink: Hint: Create items with the Classification of "Power Up"! Power up items can be picked even if your inventory is full, like Tomes or Runes, thus allowing you to upgrade skills even if your inventory is full. Be careful to remove the model - Power Up items leave those ugly particles.

II - Variables

Now when we have our Abilities and Items, we need to set the Variables. Go to the Trigger Editor, enter the Variables, and then create five new variables, named "Skills", "MaxLevel", "Items", "TempUnit" and "TempPlayer". Last two will be used later.
Skills' type is Ability, Initial value of None, Array is True, and size is 1.
MaxLevel's type is Integer, Initial value of None, Array is True, and size is 1.
Items' type is Item-Type, Initial value of None, Array is True, and Size is 1.
TempUnit's type is Unit, Initial value of None, Array is False.
TempPlayer's type is Player, Initial value of None, Array is False.
Okay, now create a new trigger with an event at Map Initialization. The triggering part is easy now - you will just set the Variables that suit your needs, like I did in there.

• Variables
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Skills[0] = Barrage
      • Set Items[0] = Barrage
      • Set MaxLevel[0] = 12
      • Set Skills[1] = Command Aura
      • Set Items[1] = Command Aura
      • Set MaxLevel[1] = 20
      • Set Skills[2] = Chain Lightning
      • Set Items[2] = Chain Lightning
      • Set MaxLevel[2] = 6
      • Set Skills[3] = Death Gaze
      • Set Items[3] = Death Gaze
      • Set MaxLevel[3] = 3
:wink: Hint: You can even add a Description variable, which will inform the user about the spell's increments per level. To do this, simply write down everything in a String type of variable, and display it by following the guide I provided bellow.

III - Buy & Upgrade Trigger

Great. Now, when we stored the variables, we need a new trigger to check when an item is bought, and to increase the level of the ability. We will also check if the ability is at maximum level, and return the cost to player, as well as displaying proper messages. Here we use the TempUnit and TempPlayer variables to avoid leaks.

• Buy and Upgrade Skills
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Acquires an item
    • Conditions
      • (Item-class of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Powerup
    • Actions
      • Set TempUnit = (Triggering Unit)
      • Set TempPlayer = (Owner of (Triggering Unit))
      • For each (Integer A) from 0 to 3, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • Items[(Integer A)] Equal to (Item-type of (Item being manipulated))
            • Then - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Level of Skills[(Integer A)] for TempUnit Less than 1
                • Then - Actions
                  • Game - Display to TempPlayer for 1.00 seconds the text: TempPlayer + ( bought + (Name of (Item being manipulated))))
                  • Unit - Add Skills[(Integer A)] to TempUnit
                  • Skip remaining actions
                • Else - Actions
                    • If - Conditions
                      • (Level of Skills[(Integer A)] for TempUnit) Less than MaxLevel[(IntegerA)]
                    • Then - Actions
                      • Game - Display to TempPlayer for 1.00 seconds the text: TempPlayer + ( upgraded + (Name of (Item being manipulated))))
                      • Unit - Set level of Skills[(Integer A)] for TempUnit to ((Level of Skills[(Integer A)] for TempUnit) + 1)
                      • Skip remaining actions
                    • Else - Actions
                      • Game - Display to TempPlayer for 2.00 seconds the text: Skill is at maximum level!
                      • Player - Add 50 to TempPlayer Current lumber
            • Else - Actions
Explanation: The system detects when item is bought, and is that item from the class of Power Up. For Each Integer from 0 to X, optimizes the trigger along with Integer A, making it easier to modify later. X stands for the last Array number of your abilities. In this case, the Death Gaze is last, so it should be "from 0 to 3". The system checks if unit doesn't have the ability, and adds it to it if it returns true. If it has the ability, but it's not at maximum level, it upgrades the skill and displays the message. If the skills is at maximum level, the system displays the message and returns the cost.

We are finished! You will need to add variables for each ability, along with corresponding item, maximum level and the description, if you decide to go with it.
I hope that this tutorial helped you in acomplishing your goal, and I am looking forward to see your maps soon! :wink:

Suggested Readings:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/trigger-gui-editor-tutorials-279/array-tutorial-17789/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...quick-tutorial-common-triggering-tips-190802/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/complete-list-things-leak-126761/

My Stuff:
Current project: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/legendary-war-apheraz-181100/

Back to the Top

Last edited:
You should put the GUI triggers inside hidden tags :eek:

Using (Integer A) is bad (Using a global as an index for iteration? WTF Blizzard.)

You should use a new integer variable instead.

(Owner of (Triggering unit)) -> Triggering Player

Your trigger should look like this:

• Buy and Upgrade Skills
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Acquires an item
    • Conditions
      • (Item-class of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Powerup
    • Actions
      • Set TempUnit = (Triggering Unit)
      • Set TempPlayer = (Triggering Player)
      • Set TempItem = (Item being manipulated)
      • Set TempType = (Item-type of TempItem)
      • Set TempString = (Name of TempItem)
      • For each TempInt from 0 to 3, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set TempInteger2 = (Level of Skills[TempInt] for TempUnit)
            • If - Conditions
              • Items[TempInt] Equal to TempType
            • Then - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • TempInteger2 Less than 1
                • Then - Actions
                  • Game - Display to TempPlayer for 1.00 seconds the text: TempPlayer + ( bought + TempString))
                  • Unit - Add Skills[TempInt] to TempUnit
                  • Skip remaining actions
                • Else - Actions
                    • If - Conditions
                      • TempInteger2 Less than MaxLevel[TempInt]
                    • Then - Actions
                      • Game - Display to TempPlayer for 1.00 seconds the text: TempPlayer + ( upgraded + TempString)
                      • Unit - Set level of Skills[TempInt] for TempUnit to (TempInteger2 + 1)
                      • Skip remaining actions
                    • Else - Actions
                      • Game - Display to TempPlayer for 2.00 seconds the text: Skill is at maximum level!
                      • Player - Add 50 to TempPlayer Current lumber
            • Else - Actions
I hope this helps :D

Level 30
Well, Integers A & B won't leak, and I didn't want to confuse the new users with explanations of custom integers and integers, plus arrays and their functionality... Ugh! That's in suggested readings.

This tutorial covers the very basics, and as such, I kept the thing's complicity at minimum level. It helps, if anyone wants to go forward a little advanced, but same, mode.

Oh, and thanks for suggestion to put the Triggers in the Hidden Tags.

So, the new update now covers the Hidden Tags for the Triggers, a note that the system is MUI and MPI and few more typo fixes.

Level 7
Skills' type is Ability, Initial value of None, Array is True, and size is 1.
MaxLevel's type is Integer, Initial value of None, Array is True, and size is 1.
Items' type is Item-Type, Initial value of None, Array is True, and Size is 1.

shouldn't the array sizes be 3 for the following?

Items[3]
MaxLevel[3]
Set Skills[3]

because you are using:
Set Skills[0]
Set Skills[1]
Set Skills[2]
Set Skills[3]
etc

Last edited:
Level 30
I edited the tutorial to remove the center tags, achieving better visibility, as PurgeandFire111 suggested me. Oh, and feel free to post me a Visitor Message, or a new post in this thread when you edit what you wanted to write.

@Greenwhy,
The arrays are left free at the unlimited amount, so that you don't need to change the variables every time you want to implement a new combination.

Level 7
I didn't know an array size of 1 makes it unlimited? does this mean if I set the array size to 1 I can use triggers to refer to any integer for that array and it will work? It doesnt say that in the Array Tutorial....

Level 37
Arrays automatically reserve some memory, they always have 8192 indexes. The initial size sets the value of the indexes to the given value.

For example if you have an integer array, you set initial value to 5 and initial size to 3, indexes from 0 to 3 are set to value 5. Other indexes will hold value 0.

If you leave initial size to 1, indexes from 0 to 1 will be initialized with the default value.

So the indexes work, you don't have to set the initial size.

For some types like timers, dialogs and triggers it can be useful to set the initial size if you use an array. By default, the indexes ill be initialized for indexes 0 and 1. So if you tried to use dialog[2] it would not work. You'd need to set initial size to 2 so it would then create a dialog for that index. I usually create those with triggers.

Level 7
I think I understand, this should be added to the array tutorial I think. I always set my array size to how many indexes (indices?) I was going to use in that array even though I often set the initial values manually before they are called.

indexes (indices?)

Yes, indices.

That array tutorial isn't really a reliable one.
All you need to know about arrays is that the minimum index is 0, the maximum index is 8191 (8190 is used as the max because replays are buggy with index 8191), and arrays in warcraft III are dynamic.

That's pretty much it. It doesn't need a tutorial.

Level 7
I can't find this action. I can only find "Game - Text Message" which can be sent to a player group (or convert player to player group).

How do you send a message to only one player without converting to a player group?

Level 7
This must be a really dumb question.... The only way I have found to display a message to a single player is like this....

• Game - Display to (Player group(TempPlayer)) the text: max level
What am I missing? I can't find a trigger action which sends a message to only 1 player.

Level 4
this is a very useful tutorial for beginners like me! i think it should include a tutorial on how to remove an item if the level of the purchased ability reaches the max level, for purchasable class abilities purposes.

Level 2
this is a very useful tutorial for beginners like me!
thx bro Apheraz Lucent
But i can not finish this triggers. I do this
Buy and Upgrade Skills
Events
Unit - A unit Acquires an item
Conditions
(Item-class of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Powerup
Actions
Set TempUnit = (Triggering Unit)
Set TempPlayer = (Owner of (Triggering Unit))
For each (Integer A) from 0 to 3, do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
If - Conditions
Items[(Integer A)] Equal to (Item-type of (Item being manipulated))
Then - Actions
If - Conditions
(Level of Skills[(Integer A)] for TempUnit Less than 1
Then - Actions
Game - Display to (Player group(TempPlayer)) for 1.00 seconds the text: ((Name of TempPlayer) + ( bought + (Name of (Item being manipulated))))
Unit - Add Skills[(Integer A)] to TempUnit
Skip remaining actions
Else - Actions
If - Conditions
(Level of Skills[(Integer A)] for TempUnit) Less than MaxLevel[(IntegerA)]
Then - Actions
Game - Display to (Player group(TempPlayer)) for 1.00 seconds the text: ((Names of TempPlayer) + ( upgraded + (Name of (Item being manipulated))))
Unit - Set level of Skills[(Integer A)] for TempUnit to ((Level of Skills[(Integer A)] for TempUnit) + 1)
Skip remaining actions
Else - Actions
Game - Display to (Player group(TempPlayer)) for 2.00 seconds the text: Skill is at maximum level!
Player - Add 50 to TempPlayer Current lumber
Else - Actions

@to anyone that
I have a small problem. Can you help me, plzz?
Example: My hero has 10 potions, how I can throw out 1, so now my hero has 9 potions and 1 potion in located at the foot.
Ex2: My hero has 2 potions in located nearby. How to pick all but it is not grouped into one. I mean: my hero has 1 potion in slot1 and 1 potion in slot2, although they are the same.I have multiple copies of the same item so I can have the same item six times.
My language is translated from translate.google.com (sorry if you see any inconvenience)
Thx !!

Last edited: