1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

A Realistic Arrow

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by Majin, May 14, 2008.

1. Majin

Majin

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Hi,
    first of all i have to say i wasn't sure where to post it.
    Now, back to the point, in a cinematic i have a unit sniping on some other units, since i wanted the camera to follow the arrows, i've made some dummy units with arrows model and set a very high speed for them (also changed max speed in game costants).

The problem is that i don't like how the arrow flies to the target (since there are some imperfections in the terrain i can't remove). at the moment i've set the movement type of the arrow to "levitate" and i can't set to "fly" since there are trees in the area and they'll make the arrow fly over the trees, not under.
    I would like to know if there is some way to make it look better or if there is a better solution (even an efficient way to make the camera follow a normal arrow will do :wink: ), also i would like to emulate the 0.15 arc the arrow should make (the only solution i thought was to try with the druid of the claw trick, but haven't tried yet, what do you think?)

2. Vegavak

Vegavak

Resources:
    Resources:
    Have you tried lowering the flying height?

3. emperor_d3st

emperor_d3st

Resources:
    Resources:
    You can just destroy the arrow when it comes near a tree and the flying height trick should help too.
    I don't think I would use a unit as an arrow, unless it is a cinematic only skill. I would rather use a doodad, you can lock cameras to doodads as well, right?

By the way, if you get too confused you might want to use one of the existing archer systems:
    http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resourc...der_field=time_update&order=desc&search=arrow

4. Majin

Majin

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    yeah, it will always fly over trees, not under them, no matter the flying height, though i'm pretty sure there is some option to make flying units go under trees.

And yeah it's just for a cinematic and just for 2 arrows so i don't want to use too much complicated things (only if i really must :p)

I don't get it, what's the point in destroying the arrow when it's near a tree?

And don't worry about confusion :)

5. emperor_d3st

emperor_d3st

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't think so, Majin. But there must be a way to change it to a land movement type unit that can cross trees. Or I think doodads might just do that by default, but I might be wrong, sorry, I'm too lazy to open WE now :p

6. Majin

Majin

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    if i use a land movement type, like floating (as i'm doing now), it works fine with trees, the problem then is a terrain imperfection i've tried to modify but for some reasons i can't.
    So...
    Flying = No good cause of trees
    Levitate (not sure how it's called in english) = No good cause of terrain
    Other Kinds of movement = just like levitate but worse...

A flying unit going under trees would be nice :p

7. Vegavak

Vegavak

Resources:
    Resources:
    An easier way to do this would be just to limit the amount of trees in the cinematic area, so that it could just fly THROUGH them instead of OVER them.

8. Majin

Majin

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    to be precise, there is just one tree, and it's the one where the cinematic starts (archer sniping while staying behind a tree), so it's the only one i can't remove...tried to make the arrow spawn a bit further but i just don't like it. I could simply keep things as they are now but if there's a way to make it look more "realistic" would be really nice to do.
    Something i haven't tried yet is to turn collision off for the arrow (atm can't try, formated PC yesterday, still installing stuff)

9. Vegavak

Vegavak

Resources:
    Resources:

Something else you could do, is making a copy of the tree doodad and setting the path to none.

That way things could walk right through it.

10. emperor_d3st

emperor_d3st

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think in the archer systems I mentioned earlier the arrows do fly through trees, so if you fail to make that arrow as you want it, you should check out those systems and see what did they do differently.

11. Volvox

Volvox

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Or you can play with the camera. It's a cinematic so you can do camera things with no worries. Set the camera directly behind the shooter and trigger it so that when he/she attacks, the camera surges forward. It could be tricky to set the speed but not too tricky. The terrain height should not be a big problem unless you have expressed falls or hills in the path.

12. Xeridanus

Xeridanus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Object editor:
    Movement - Height = 0.75
    Movement - Type = Fly
    that's what i use for my 'spirits' which need to be able to go through anything yet remain at ground level. also, i gave my spirits locust, not sure if it has an effect or not. since it's a cinematic this shouldn't create any problems.

13. inverted

inverted

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Set flying height then set the collision size and pathing map of the trees to nothing the arrow will go through them.

14. Majin

Majin

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    i solved by setting the (don't know the exact name in english editor) height at where flying units will fly over the object to 0 in the tree settings :thumbs_up:

Now i have another problem, can't make the arc the arrow is supposed to do since it won't rotate while rising in the sky, but well, i'm fine with a straight arrow atm :smile:

15. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Try a physics system with your arrow like HINDYhats SEE physics. It seemed to work well for that kind of thing.