• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A "Real" Dungeon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Need help with ideas for a techtree

Gooooooooooood mornin'

I remember that i played a map like this a year ago or something and i couldnt find it on epicwar or here, so i decided to make my own map of that type.

Basicly its like this:
There are rocks all over the map (destructibles, and i mean WHOLE map) except for the starting locations. So you have 1 main structure, some workers and miners. Miners dig those rocks (place new ones and upgrade to use them like walls) to get space and workers build stuff like barracks and stuff (yeah. Best explanation. "Stuff like stuff with stuff" :hohum:)

Well anyway. I got meself some world editor, i allready know how to make the abilities, but i only have 1 problem that i once almost solved... THE TECHTREE.

I cant come up with ANYTHING. So i need help.

The techtree must be of a dwarven theme, no air units.
There should be war machines, comabt units, a set of mining units, hopefully some heroes that would fit the dungeon theme, and thats probably all... oh... and buildings ^.^

So... if you have any ideas, id be happieh to usem :thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 3
Just stopping by to say that I like the idea, but I haven't got any suggestions for you regarding units etc (at this time..)

Wish you the best of luck with this project/map!

Level 28
Some ideas:

Have mushrooms as a manageable resource for timber: The player can choose to cut down every single mushroom he's growing for a massive increase in lumber, but loses the regular income provided by the 'shrooms, and must look for saplings (item) in the dungeon to be able to grow them again.

How about replacing air units with "ghost" units that move through walls?

Also, make some of the rocks "(name of precious metal) seam", give them the gold mine ability, so they can be extracted for money.

A geomancer hero who can summon rocks or easily destroy them, to create walls and such.

Have the entire techtree work towards being able to build an ultimate unit that serves to destroy large amounts of rocks (and coincidentally works well on units, a large drilltank or something).

Create several areas filled with highly flammable/poisonous gases. If units remain too long in a poison gas area, they will die immediately (no gradual loss of health). If in a flammable gas area, they end up starting a fire (sparks from clashing weapons, mining tools, etc.), collapsing the area (see below). If these units do not have the lantern upgrade, the gas explodes immediately.

Have several keypoints be held up by support columns, these columns slowly lose health and must be regularly repaired or they collapse, blocking off the passage. Reopening the passage will require a lot of time and ressources.

Ideas for techtree branches: Mining (gets extra gold per trip to the seam, allows building of mechanical miners), Alchemy (blasting powder to clear away more rocks in one go), Sylviculture (extra/faster income from mushrooms, grow back faster, etc.), Metallurgy (improves weapons, armor and drilling speed), "other" (Until a name is found, contains stuff like improving the lighting (increase sight radius), replace candles with lanterns (no more exploding gas pockets)...)

And when a sufficient number of rocks has been destroyed, send the message "You have delved too deep" to all players and create an optional Balrog boss fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.