• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A painful yet possible workaround for attacking-while-moving units (melee edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Probably someone did or thought about this before but I've decided to share this humble approach. I believe RPG, arena and minigame maps where gameplay is focused on a single hero or a little group of units might benefit from this. The painful nature of this high amount of editing and triggering will make it hard or impossible to implement on a large scale.

First of all, choose the unit you want to work with. Units with a defined and separated torso (mostly humanoids) are often the best choice. Ranged units might need extra triggering that I will be not covering here. In this case, Othmar Garithos and his horse volunteered themselves for the experiment.

Using MdlVis, I cut the model in two at the waist level:

garithos.jpg

I made sure there was no duplicated material between the two halves, I made his death animation blank, decided an attachment point located on his chest and saved many copies of the upper part and renamed its walk, attack and spell animations to 'stand' in each model:

import.jpg

In the World Editor, only the horse will be the real unit. The upper part will be attached to the model as a SFX and, with the aid of Bribe's 'Is Unit Moving' system, stand/walk torsos will be dinamically swapped. There's no autoattack, attack are based on skills that don't interrupt orders such as Berserker and Wind walk. Casting spells or attackings will require booleans and timers that will prevent the torso from changing back to stand/walk animations until the attack/ability ends. This is what the main trigger looks like:

trigger.jpg

I attached a simple test map. Hope you found it useful.

Attachments

• Garithos.w3x
    850.9 KB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.