• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[JASS] A new way to use return bug in 1.23b !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
1.23b is still in beta. As most of you know, return bug has been fixed in the version, this is a sad news for those who like to research the code exploit :D

I've found a new way to typecast in 1.23b :

common.j
Code:
type version            extends     handle
constant native ConvertVersion              takes integer i returns version

"type a extends b" means, a variable of type a is also type b, but var of type b is not type a.

ConvertVersion - what does this function do ? actually its just a type conversion function, it has only 2 lines:

MOV EAX, [ESP+4]
RETN

ConvertVersion(1048576) is really H2Version(I2H(1048576)).

change the definition of type to:

Code:
type version            extends     unit

since type unit extends handle, everything about functions of type version will stay unaffected.

Now, you can write another function for easier use, like

Code:
function I2U takes integer i returns unit
    return ConvertVersion(i)
endfunction

see ? you have the typecasting without using return bug.

there are dozens of Convert functions, just modify the type definition, you can use them to convert from integer to any type :D

EDIT : i have tested under 1.23b, sadly it cant use "extends code" ...

however you can use it for I2U, I2Item, I2Timer and so on.

Last edited:
Level 2
blizzard added a new native function named GetHandleId which is actually H2I.

use GetHandleId instead.

whats the other way ? inserting call DoNothing() between 2 returns ? blizzard already knows about it and it will be fixed.

Last edited:
Level 21
The point of this post is not to find alternatives to GetHandleId. We all know already that GetHandleId replaces H2I. Thewisp is saying that with these adaptions, the returnbug still works and still allows abuse such as executing bytecode...

By the way, could you attach a proof-of-concept map? I'm too lazy to do the importing myself...

Level 2
well, seems i made a serious mistake.. code doesnt count in handle, so this method really only converts common handle types, like I2U, I2Trigger, I2Timer. on the other hand this is also not bad news because thus blizzard probably won't fix it.

Level 2
The point of this post is not to find alternatives to GetHandleId. We all know already that GetHandleId replaces H2I. Thewisp is saying that with these adaptions, the returnbug still works and still allows abuse such as executing bytecode...

By the way, could you attach a proof-of-concept map? I'm too lazy to do the importing myself...

im not sure about bytecode.
I2U and I2Timer could still be useful - and maybe helps some author so they wont need to rewrite the map.

test map : one for 1.23, one for 1.23b since GetHandleId only exists in 1.23b :)

Attachments

• v123.w3x
    50.5 KB · Views: 73
  • v123b.w3x
    46.7 KB · Views: 55
Status
Not open for further replies.