• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A Modelers Transition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello Hive Workshop Community. So far I have done all my modeling with Blender, creating Halo 3 map models, modeling Halo vehicles, making water contraptions, etc. However, I now wish to learn how to make models for Warcraft, and am seeking suggestions as to good programs. My only requirements are that the program is free. I am familliar with the basic methods of modeling (extrusion, sculpting, vertex modification, box methods, etc.) and will most likely be able to handle semi- complex programs.

Currently I've downloaded OinkerWinkle's modeling program, but lack an MDX finder (or knowledge of how to use one) and an MDX - MDL Converter. If you know any good converters/finders, please provide a link and some instruction on how to use them.

Anyway, thanks for reading, please respond, and happy modeling

scorpianfinishedpicture.jpg

(Above: my scorpian model, in a scenic enviornement)

Level 34
Modelprograms:
- 3dsMax5
- Milkshape
- Gmax

Texturing and/or art programs:
- Photoshop
- Paint (not recommended unless you want to keep a quick low-res texture)
- GIMP

Sort-of converting and/or small editing programs:
- Magos' Model Editor
- Warcraft 3 Viewer, to convert your textures.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now about that model up there, Sephiroth_VII is right, for a tank it looks too round-ish and high-detailed models like that will surely be around ~1-3mb if you are too overconfident. Warcraft 3 models are low-res-like models but still look OK ingame.

Level 7
3dsMax5 is the best. But nearly impossible to find.
I suggest getting magos model editor.
Your model up there looks too smoothed out and puffy. It should have hard edges.
Thank you for responding. I do appologize for the late reply (I posted this thread before I went to sleep). Anyway, I did try not sub-surfing the sides, but it looks 2d, I myself like the puffy version, kindof a cartoonish look. Again, thanks for the suggestion, but is 3ds max 5 free? I previously thought it to be around $500. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.