• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Trigger] A little help plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I have a little problem with some triggers made in GUI.I tried almost everithing to fix the bug but i cant find the problem.I wont post the GUI script because it's to long and i wont think anything it's wrong with it. But can someone tell me how can i make two buffs that come from two different custom made spells, but made from the same base spell, to stay on the same hero?I think that's the problem because i'm trying to make a kind of buff mixing system and eather one of the two buffs is canceled by the other when casted, or the resulting buff wont show up at the status of the hero, although the effect starts. :(

P.S.
Excuse my english, i aint that good at it :p

Level 12
Only channel spellbook and I do not rember the name of it atm, have base order ID.
When you have a lot of skills that might be impossible to avoid.

Level 17
As i've understood it, there also is a problem with the buffs.
Do not use the same buff for two different skills, it will either mold together with the current buff or replace it.
Well, there is some occations when this may be good, if your making a custom aura consisting of 2 auras with 1 of them hidden, then you can give them the same buff and it will mold together.

As for the same skills, do not make two custom spells based on the same skill for the same unit, this will bug, since they have the same base order id(which messes up the casting).
So, find another skill that has almost the same target effect as your skill, and remake the dummy ability

Level 2
Ok, ty for the advise. But dont u know a way to get over this problem? Now i dont mind going for a different ability to use with the buff now. But the map i am trying to make will have almost 100 spells on a hero (dont ask me how i will do that, but i will :)) ) and i am trying to make them as user frienldy as possible and as realistic as i can, but i think i will run out of different buffs until i get to the 20 hero or so. And afterwards i was thinking to start on a sinergy sistem between heros so it will get interesting when you want to do some teamwork. So can i give me some hints on how to avoid strangeling myself with this ideea? :)Plz, i would be grateful :)

Level 17
100 spells on one hero? Well, that can't be user friendly. In a strategy game or some slow paced game maybe, but in a slow paced one? No way. You'll have to use channel anyways.
Some ideas how to make one gazillion spells user friendly:
-Make the players chose their spells from a dialog box

Aaaand that's all ^^ I don't feel like writing too much.

Level 2
I know about that but the buff i think aint the main problem, i think the ability that i cast it with is.I'll try to see if the buff or the ability is the problem, but in case if it's the ability, pff, i think i'm gone kill the blizzard crue for not making the editor more dinamic :)). I mean, no code to reset just one coldown of a spell, no code to add a buff of a choise without using a dummy,etc.

Level 2
Nopz, trust me, what i am trying to do is as user friendly as possible ;). As soon as i finish it and get at least half the bugs fixed i will post it to get others to work in that way.

Level 17
But could you tell me more about this 100 spells system? Cuz it may depend on that.(Don't worry i won't steal it, i'm not interested in such a system:xxd:)

Cuz if you're using spellbooks you can easily change it so that u just have the spells with the same order strings in different spellbooks.

That's all i can say with this information...

Level 2
I aint worrying about stealing, if u want to use it to, by all means do it (and make it better, because i dont think my ideea would be the best); i'm getting tired to see maps with 20 different spelles that u cant use, i mean what would have been in the mind of the people who made it?Didn't they tried it first to see how well is it played?Or dont they know that first on a map is the gameplay then comes the diversety and then the look. First of al my sistem uses buffs as a mean of combining two spelles to get a higher lv spell (by that i mean a combo spell) or a combo buff that you will use to further increase a damage of a spell or that it gives you a higher bonus then eather buffs of the spelles seperetly. I dont know how much sense i made out of all this but to give you an example of what i am doing i'm going to tell u the combos of the hero that i'm working on now, including the ultimate combo for the unit (p.s. the ultimate combo excedes the power of even the spell that u get at lv 6 ;) )
-------------------->Hero:Gargoyle<--------------------
->First Spell: Lighting charge - gives the unit a bonus of x% attack speed and x% movement speed (bloodlust based)
->Secound Spell: Lighting Wings - calls cones of lighting to deal x damage to x number of units around the casted unit (forked lighting based)
->Third Spell : Wind Wings (i'll change the name but for now i will use this one) - targets a unit, and starts flapping his wings (for this i'll need a higher animation rate for a short while, haven't figured out how to do that yet, any tips are welcome) creating a small cyclone that traps the target within it dealing x d/s ( aerial shackles based, with different animation)
->Forth Spell : Storm - calls forth a storm, in an x AoE lighting strikes the enemy dealing x d/strike ( Starfall based, with differet animation)

-->For short:
Lighting charge->LC<-
Lighting Wings->LW<-
Wind Wings->WW<-
Storm->S<-
---->Combos(the spells have to be casted in order):
1) LC + LW-> lighting wings combo (further increases the damage and unit hit of LW)
2)LW + LC-> lighting combo( for short LL) of lv( LC lv spell + LW lv spell)->buff->gives x attack speed and x movemet speed
3)LC/LL + WW -> the lighting energy that the caster acumulated discharges in the cyclone, creating a cyclone that deals more x d/s -> lighting cyclone combo( for short LCC ) of lv ( LC/LL lv spell/buff combo + WW lv spell)
4)LC/LL + S - discharging the energy acumulated the caster further increases the damage that the storm does -> lighting storm combo of lv(LC/LL lv spell/buff combo + S lv spell)
5) S + LW - the caster starts discharging electricity around him dealing more damage that dears to get near him while he struggles to channel the storm -> lighting wings and storm combo lv( S lv spell + LW lv spell)
6)LC + S + LW - the caster further increases the storm damage and the damage of the lighting that he realeses near him by using the lighting energy acumulated -> lighting wings, storm and charge combo lv (LC lv buff + S lv spell + LW level spell)
7)S + WW - while he channels the storm the caster starts flapping his wings creating a cyclone that starts sucking all weak enemy (depending on the difference of the enemy unit strenght and the strenght + WW lv spell the units will be sucked faster or slower into the cyclone, but if the enemy unit is to strong he will escape the effect but until he leaves the AOE his ms will be lowered) units around him in an AOE traping them until the storm is over
8)LC+ S + LW + WW - the storm damage and the damage that he deals around him is busted whit the lighting energy of the first spell while the cyclone gets more speed , and by this sucking more powerful enemy around him -> this would be the ultimate combo :)

If u want to use this kind of sistem i sugest that u think about first of how to put the hotkey for every spell because it would get irritating if u just give every spell random hotkeys and after that u realize that it would be kind of impossible to cast the combo spells :p

P.S.
I still need help on:
->reseting the cooldown of just one spell when the condition would be meet
->making the animation of the bat go faster for just a while without replacing him with another that has a more faster animation
Any hints would be welcome

Level 17
First of all, wasn't every hero supposed to have 100 spells, or was i wrong?
I still don't quite understand the problem since your abilities isn't based on the same abilities.

Anyways the animation for the bat is simple. Just set an event that triggers when the hero starts channeling the ability and increase his animations speed in the animations - animation speed action.

Then create another trigger that triggers when the hero stops channeling the ability and set animation speed to normal.

Level 2
When i'll finish the map they will ;). They will have around 100 spells each but they will not be casted by the user, they will be combos that will result from the heroes spells ( 12 each for every hero, 3 of every type-> first, secound, third , forth spell class; but from wich the user selects only 4 spells, 1 for each type => you do the math on how many combos will result from 12 spells if only from 4 resulted 8 real spells(same class spell) and up to 20 different if we have to count them 1 by 1 -> i'm going for the 12 spell system because i want the users to have the elemnt of surprise when they will fight with others, because the users wont start to select other heroes that might be verry good to counter the hero that the previsous user selected and because they will have more of a choise when it comes to building up there own combos and hero style) and after u've done the math for them all 12 spells then start calculating how many combos between 4 allied heros you can get. Now i wont be mad to try for every spell to get a combo with another allied hero, but it will be at least 1 spell from the set that will get a combo going :))

P.S.
As an after effect of the lighting wings casting i've created a trigger to bring a dummy on the map that cast a little bloodlust on the casters unit, this was the reason why i asked about the buff and the reason of the bug, but i fixed that ;)
I'll try what u sed about the animation so i can se how it works
And any ideeas to further the project and to make the map as fun as possible would be welcome ;). I wan this map to have part of as much as possible people ideeas in it because i dont want to be my map, i want to be ours :))

Level 2
I fixed the problems with the buffs ;).I had to delay a bit before casting the new buff on the units caster.
Ty for the animation tip, forgot that there where special triggers for just animation :))
Now on to the next problem.Have any ideea on how to reset just one spell cooldown and not all the cooldown of the spells?

Level 2
That way i would have to put in much for GUI script and there would be a chance of leeking :-?, i'll try something else to reset the coldown :-?.
O, and are u familiar with JASS script?

Ok heres just a little knowledge.
If what you're trying to do with the buff/ability is create/add your own function, it's impossible. You will have to use a base buff/ability.

For your reset cooldown thing, you might need a variable for your ability, that way when you use the "Hero - Reset cooldown"(I think) it doesnt reset all the abilities.
Idk i think u want more In depth help with that one.

For the animation speed, just use the "Animation - Change unit's animation speed" and when the ability is done, set it back to normal. I hope you were planning on using GUI for that part of it, because in the ability engine, there is no function within the ability that increases an animation speed, therefore it will have to be triggered.

And my final suggestion, If you want around 100 abilities per hero, try implementing that new system in the spells section. Aparently you can use a dropdown bar or something. It would be easier than using spellbook 10,000 times lol.
Good luck with your map.

Not to be rude, but either you type really slow(about 10 characters per hour) or you've missed that there were more pages, cuz that was on the first page.

It really shouldnt matter but I did miss that there was more than 1 page. The point is that I was trying to help so REALLY u dont have to point out anything about my post unless what I was saying is wrong.
So.. lets focus on help =]

Level 2
K k, dont fight ;). Thanks to both of you, now i know that people are active and eagher to help out. I added some points to each reputation as a token of my appreciation, that's the least i can do now.
And as soon as i get the first hero finished and fixed all the bugs on it i'll post it so that people can use it as a reference if they want ;)
Until then if u see somewhere a good ideea on how to get the coldown of just one spell to reset it would be helpful if you will post me about it, i would be grateful ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.