• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

A little change in the Phoenix Trial rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
I get that this is not really the place to create this thread in, but since there are no 'Contest Discussion' subforums and I do 'have an idea for a contest', I guess this is the best place.

I'd like to start a discussion on two of the Phoenix Trial (Icon Contest) rules:
The icons must be physically attached to a post when complete. (.blp files only!)
Is this really neccesary?

Icons are plain, 2d images. Both ingame as posted on the website in the form of a WIP. Having to convert to blp usually just worsens the quality a bit. In my view this rule could be scrapped. Keep in mind people will still have to submit a passive version, etc.

It's kind of the same with this rule:
An in-game screenshot must be included with all submissions.
In the last Phoenix Trial, only 2 contestants out of 10 or so included an in-game screenshot. In the one before that, only 1 person. I think this rule can be scrapped as well, given the fact that no one follows it anyway and there it doesn't really add anything to the submission.

Comments always welcome :)

I guess it's kinda like saying you don't have to submit a mdx (+blp) file(s) for a modeling contest; instead you just submit your .max/.ms3d/.psd/whatevers.

In other words it wouldn't really work.

Bad analogy though, I know. :p If enough people are in agreement then I'm okay with your suggestion for icon contests.

Level 16
The difference is though, that you would have to open up the .mdx/.max/.. file(s) regardless to check out the model and its animations. That's not the case with icons, because they are just images you can post onto the website and view.

(I like your gold pearl by the way, first one on the hive? :D)

Level 31
i agree with u for the screenshot rule. no one want to go ingame and make a screenshot, there is even people that dont have wc3 and make icons.

for the other rule, idk, lets see what others are saying, im not against the rule but i cant say i want to keep it lol.

(I like your gold pearl by the way, first one on the hive? :D)

no, there is ralle and general frank too <==(not sure about general frank, but i know there is someone else with pyritie and ralle) maybe more but i saw those.

Level 16
i agree with u for the screenshot rule. no one want to go ingame and make a screenshot, there is even people that dont have wc3 and make icons.
Exactly.
for the other rule, idk, lets see what others are saying, im not against the rule but i cant say i want to keep it lol.
Yeah, thats how I think about it too. I wouldn't mind it, it's just that it seems so redundant to me.
no, there is ralle and general frank too <==(not sure about general frank, but i know there is someone else with pyritie and ralle) maybe more but i saw those.
Yeah I just checked out the other thread :D

Level 12
The difference is though, that you would have to open up the .mdx/.max/.. file(s) regardless to check out the model and its animations. That's not the case with icons, because they are just images you can post onto the website and view.
No.
Most people don't own 3ds max or any other program that can open the .max/.psd/etc. filetypes, where as most of them do own wc3 or wc3 model viewer, both of which open those types.

Also, I don't really see all that much loss of quality if you're not doing it wrong.
Plus, most people post a non .blp screen anyway.

The ingame screenshot rule does sound sort of pointless on the outside, but on the inside it show how it matches the wc3 style when compared with the Attack, Move, Patrol, and Stop icons.

Status
Not open for further replies.