• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

A ghost hunting map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey guys, i know many of you are probably surprised at the idea of a map i might make, but basically it will be a ghost hunting map, where you have to look for evidence of the existent of ghosts through photographs and recorded sounds. I might also, if i can learn how, put randomized events in the game like screams, bangs, and other stuff. I got this idea from playing "A haunting demo" from an author who's name escapes me :). I just love the idea of a horror based map that was pitch black, completely silent, and events that can scare the crap out of you. Plz post suggestions and forums that can help me in the production of this map :grin::grin::grin:

Level 4
What I can see..

Im not surprised from the idea, you are not the first.
Ghosts.. Hmm.. no. Don't like em.
Horror map that can scare the shit out of me? No, that can happen.

Overall? Sucks.

hmmm you ever played the map, a haunting demo? You should try to play it with full audio and at night.

Last edited:
Level 4
Well the idea is actually used a lot, but it's interesting to see the different ways it can be pulled off. I like the idea because it reminds me a little of the classic Resident Evil games, and I think I've played the demo you're referring to. But if anyone is going to make a map that can actually keep people on the edge of their seats, then they should be damn good at knowing what makes people tick. Warcraft is hard to scare people with, although that demo was really nice with its dark atmosphere and spontaneous sound effects. I also like the types that have puzzles that cause you to really think about what you need to do next.

I hope you're one of the people that can take creepy, spontaneous and puzzling to a whole new level. Good luck on the map if you are.

By the way, http://www.freesound.org/ has a large selection of great quality sounds that only requires a free registration login. I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of creepy sound effects there.

Level 4
Well the idea is actually used a lot, but it's interesting to see the different ways it can be pulled off. I like the idea because it reminds me a little of the classic Resident Evil games, and I think I've played the demo you're referring to. But if anyone is going to make a map that can actually keep people on the edge of their seats, then they should be damn good at knowing what makes people tick. Warcraft is hard to scare people with, although that demo was really nice with its dark atmosphere and spontaneous sound effects. I also like the types that have puzzles that cause you to really think about what you need to do next.

I hope you're one of the people that can take creepy, spontaneous and puzzling to a whole new level. Good luck on the map if you are.

By the way, http://www.freesound.org/ has a large selection of great quality sounds that only requires a free registration login. I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of creepy sound effects there.
Finally! A supporter! You said that there were other maps that had this type of theme, can u link to then please? Oh, and do you know any threads that can assist me in the making of this map?

Level 4
Most of them were just horror cinematics which didn't offer much or any gameplay. This Silent Hill one was more crazy than scary, but it had some cool elements used in it:
Silent Hill

I'm guessing you're planning to do something much more interactive with a structured story. I couldn't find the haunting demo map you were talking about, but was it the one where you search a house for clues about ghosts living there? Then it ends when you're about to go up into the attic. That kind of gameplay was more fun than this Silent Hill map, although both offer very unique gameplay.

And if you post your map with some more details (and at least starting on the terrain, triggering, etc.) in the general Map Development section, then I'm sure you could get people offering to help you by just saying which type of recruitment you need.

Level 19
Or you could do it in a 'Ghostbuster' style of gameplay... Where the ghosts are more cartoony than funny...

Level 4
Well, i am 13 <------------
So i have a long ways to go til this map will go anywhere -_-
Any way here are my initial ideas for this map, and no miss foxy, i dare not rip off ghostbusters. (sorry!)
1. It will take place in the forest
2. I might ask shadow how he did the pitch black map thingy :)
3. You a pro ghost hunter and you need to use your tech, senses, and bravery to solve these haunting mysteries.........
4. Will probably restrict your ability to sleep for the next few days :)
Well thats most of them, i might need to study psychology if i want to get these scares right >.<

@coffeeholic: you sure? just go to the map selection and type "A haunting demo A2" Im sure that is the one but i never had the courage to make it that far in the map

Last edited:
Level 18
Hmm you gave me an idea. you and your wife live in a house and you got a child but it seems like that child has bad nightmares and one one morning she is gone your wife gets strange visions and think you should contact somone who knows about ghosts than when that man arrives and talks with you and he leaves strange things start to happen a table moves away and so on (this isnt difficult to make i think)

Level 4
I cant shake the feeling you think that i am an idiot.............
We need to get back on topic, so does any one have any suggestions for this map?

Level 4
Well first I suggest creating a testing room made of doodads with about 150/150/150 or lower tinting. Add some glowing doodads (such as torches, braziers, lamps, etc.) to create some dim lighting with black terrain fog. Add two or three objects you can interact with (like checking a photograph for a picture of a ghost or a piece of paper with writing on it) for a quick test run. Then I guess see what ideas pop up in your head while testing it? That way you can craft a storyline based on things you know you can actually make in the map.

Level 4
Well first I suggest creating a testing room made of doodads with about 150/150/150 or lower tinting. Add some glowing doodads (such as torches, braziers, lamps, etc.) to create some dim lighting with black terrain fog. Add two or three objects you can interact with (like checking a photograph for a picture of a ghost or a piece of paper with writing on it) for a quick test run. Then I guess see what ideas pop up in your head while testing it? That way you can craft a storyline based on things you know you can actually make in the map.

Hmmmm, i got a a lot of learning til i can do that. Any way i appreciate the suggestions so please keep them coming. I also am thinking of day and night sequences, in the day you set up camera in certain ghost haunting hot spots and getting your team together. At night, you investigate, take pictures, and record sounds.

Level 4
That's a cool idea. But by team, do you mean the player gets to control multiple units? Or the team is just NPCs that move around setting things up with you?

By the way, this is just what I meant about having a test room to come up with ideas from:
Horror Environment

This site has a bunch of good detailed descriptions with pictures of ghost hunting equipment that you may want to include in the equipment the team sets up:
http://www.lessemf.com/ghost.html

Level 4
That's a cool idea. But by team, do you mean the player gets to control multiple units? Or the team is just NPCs that move around setting things up with you?

By the way, this is just what I meant about having a test room to come up with ideas from:
Horror Environment

This site has a bunch of good detailed descriptions with pictures of ghost hunting equipment that you may want to include in the equipment the team sets up:
http://www.lessemf.com/ghost.html
Im still juggling the aspect of a team. Will they be AI controlled, or will live players control them? Or will there EVEN be a team? I dunno, im still analyzing the pro and cons of each.
I think i might just make it a solo map since that will be a bit more scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.