• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

a few problems with my TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
hey, so im making a TD. heres a few problems id like help with:

1) Theres a king at the end of the map (whos HP represent lives). Ive ticked allied, and invulnerable, but my own builder can still kill him (and towers maybe?)

2) i want to know how to get rid of the "victory!" message as soon as the game loads. im assuming this happens because i am playing single player to test it.

3) I built a Sell Tower system following a guide, but it always gives back 100g, even if the tower costed 10g or 500g including upgrades. the only thing i did differently from this guide, was not include the /2 part in the "actions: player - add" which was to make it 50% instead of 100%

Sellable Towers

Ever TD should have sellable towers, and towers should be sellable in a user friendly way.
Here's a trick from Ryoko that works great for selling towers.
1. Create a new ability called 'Sell Tower' based on the Windwalk ability.
2. Change all the values for your new Windwalk to zero. The casting cost, durations, cooldown, every value inside the ability.
3. Change the hotkey for the new ability to something unique. I like to use 'X'.
4. Change all the tool tips for the new ability, and icon. I like to use the treasure chest or gold icon.
5. Add the ability to all your towers.
6. Finally, create a trigger that looks like this. Any time a tower uses the 'Sell Tower' ability, a trigger will sell the tower for half its value, create a nice special effect above it, and destroy it. Note that it does not have to be half the value; it can be whatever you prefer.

Sell Towers
Events
Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Sell Tower
Actions
Player - Add ((Point-value of (Casting unit)) / 2) to (Owner of (Casting unit)) Current gold
Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Casting unit)) using ...
Unit - Remove (Casting unit) from the game

I like to use Abilities\Spells\Human\HolyBolt\HolyBoltSpecialArt.mdl

what id like to learn:

how to create the start location of each player, on their builder (so i dont have to place a town hall that comes with 5 workers)

how to make red, blue, and teal team 1, and purple yellow and orange as team 2.

how to make the next wave come, once all monsters have been killed (pref from their team side only, but if not thats ok)

FINALLY, id appreciate if you helped me out on this, by teaching me what needs to be done. I'm wanting to learn from this (my first map) to continue to make more. and quite frankly, fixing it for me will get it done, but i will more then likely miss something when i look back at what you did to fix it. thanks

EDIT: im aware this map can have the waypoints blocked, to make the creeps stay for ages, i currently havnt created the system for stopping this, but i have found some tutorials for it.

Attachments

• SpiderTD - Towers1waverepeatsell.w3x
    54.5 KB · Views: 68
Level 9
Downloading... I'll fix everything and explain.

1) Theres a king at the end of the map (whos HP represent lives). Ive ticked allied, and invulnerable, but my own builder can still kill him (and towers maybe?))
You have to add the Invulnerable (Neutral) ability, ticking is unnecessary.

2) i want to know how to get rid of the "victory!" message as soon as the game loads. im assuming this happens because i am playing single player to test it.
how to create the start location of each player, on their builder (so i dont have to place a town hall that comes with 5 workers)
Simply Delete the first starting trigger named "Map Initialization".

3) I built a Sell Tower system following a guide, but it always gives back 100g, even if the tower costed 10g or 500g including upgrades. the only thing i did differently from this guide, was not include the /2 part in the "actions: player - add" which was to make it 50% instead of 100%

• Sell Towers
    • Actions
      • Player - Add (Point-value of (Casting unit)) to (Owner of (Casting unit)) Current gold
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Casting unit)) using Abilities\Spells\Human\HolyBolt\HolyBoltSpecialArt.mdl
      • Unit - Remove (Casting unit) from the game
There is no trigger that checks how much gold something costs, so we are using the Point Value which is in the Stats category. So you have to set on every tower the Point Value same to the Gold Cost and it will work.

Also...
You have leaks in that trigger whch I fixed. Leaks make the game lag after some time.
If you want more info read this to get an idea on leaks.
how to make red, blue, and teal team 1, and purple yellow and orange as team 2.
Scenario > Force Properties and [TICK] Use Custom Forces

Also...
You have only one player, so switch to the [Players] tab and add more players! (Scenario > Player Properties)
Experiment with every option in the - Scenario - .
how to make the next wave come, once all monsters have been killed (pref from their team side only, but if not thats ok)
FINALLY, id appreciate if you helped me out on this, by teaching me what needs to be done. I'm wanting to learn from this (my first map) to continue to make more. and quite frankly, fixing it for me will get it done, but i will more then likely miss something when i look back at what you did to fix it. thanks

Search in the Tutorials Section. All of these tutorials can

Teach You A Lot!

. The specific tutorial that will answer your question is here.

Also...
The following trigger also uses the Point Value of Units owned by Player 12 [Brown] the same way it's used in "Sell Tower". Meaning you have to set the Point Value of every "creep" to the gold you want it to give to the killer.
  • Bounty
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 12 (Brown) Dies
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Player - Add (Point-value of (Triggering unit)) to (Owner of (Killing unit)) Current gold

If you need anything else PM me
or even better contact me though MSN.
You can find my MSN account in my profile.

Attachments

• SpiderTD - Towers1waverepeatsell.w3x
    54.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Level 2
thanks so much for this. I will read this again tomorrow and look into every detail, but thanks for the superb reply. i was beginning to think i wouldn't get an answer.

+rep :)

EDIT: ok i had a quick look at it, and i noticed 2 things.

First, now when the creep reaches the end, explodes, and deals 1 damage (1 life) to the king, he doesn't get hurt. is there a workaround like using a different trigger or something?

Secondly, the player now starts with 0 gold. how do i change this?

I will look all of this up tomorrow when i mess around with the map more, but feel free to post an answer someone, if you read this thread :)

thanks.

Level 9
thanks so much for this. I will read this again tomorrow and look into every detail, but thanks for the superb reply. i was beginning to think i wouldn't get an answer.

+rep :)

EDIT: ok i had a quick look at it, and i noticed 2 things.

First, now when the creep reaches the end, explodes, and deals 1 damage (1 life) to the king, he doesn't get hurt. is there a workaround like using a different trigger or something?

Secondly, the player now starts with 0 gold. how do i change this?

I will look all of this up tomorrow when i mess around with the map more, but feel free to post an answer someone, if you read this thread :)

thanks.

You didn't get any answers quite possibly because the stuff you're asking are very "Newbie", no offense. Mayby you should start searching the Tutorials Section in order to learn at least the basics. Now let's get on to your Q's.

- That's something I expected ('cause the king is really invulnerable now). Replace the action that damages the king with the following:

• Lives
    • Actions
      • Unit - Set life of King to ((Life of King) - 1.00)
- About the starting gold use this:

• Starting Resources
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Player - Set (Picked player) Current gold to 500

Level 2
thanks, yes i understand my questions were quite nooby. i have been following a guide off youtube and looking up some problems i have, but when i came across this site, i decided i'd stop by and see what the communities like. Appreciate the help.

Level 2
just thought id update with my latest version so far. still some work to be done with:

- move waves / make them harder
- more towers
- fix 'maze checker'
- use wood for final towers

i need to learn how to:
- get +gold to show above creeps head on death
- fix lobby so you cant change positions colour or race, only the position your on (e.g. move to team 2, spot 2 (yellow)

any help appreciated. thanks

Attachments

• ScamperNZTestTD4.w3x
    80.1 KB · Views: 41
Level 9
- You will have to copy/paste the Point-Values of every creep-type to the Bounty Reward value. The second one should be 1 and the third value 0, unless you want the creep to drop a random amount of gold (experiment).

Now delete the trigger you have for the bounty and add to a Trigger with Event - [Map Initialization] the following action (World Editor was Off):
  • Map Initialization
    • Actions
      • Player - Turn Bounty On for Player 12 - Brown
- Scenario > Forces > Fixed Forces or something like that, just tick it and it'll work.

{EDIT}
I Just found something that could help you with the World Editor.
World Editor FAQ

{EDIT2}
..and here's a tutorial for the bounty reward, if you need it. Bounty and Units

Last edited:
Level 2
heres another update of my map so far.

what i need to change:
- change maze checker somehow (for instance, right now he cant get past, so kills towers for 10 seconds, then dies; change it so if he cant get past, then to attack 1 of the towers blocking him, after he does this, sell every tower belonging to that colour for 75% money return.)

EXAMPLE:
- blue blocks the path
- maze checker cant get past
- maze checker destroys one tower of blues
- all towers owned by blue are sold for 75% return
- maze checker dies

this should be in folder Prevent block; in trigger Prevent block P11; please edit it there Vergil or anyone :)

Attachments

• ScamperNZTestTD6.w3x
    85 KB · Views: 43
Level 6
Why would you want so the player almost dies if he blocks, have you never missplaced a tower in a TD? Instead you could do so if a unit attacks make remove it's collision and order it to the next area. This will look like this trigger wise:

• Attacked
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
      • (Owner of (Attacking unit)) Equal to Player 12 (Brown)
    • Actions
      • Wait 0.00 seconds
      • Unit - Turn collision for (Attacking unit) Off
      • Animation - Change (Attacking unit)'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%) with 20.00% transparency
      • Unit - Order (Attacking unit) to Move To (Center of location)
      • Wait 2.00 seconds
      • Unit - Turn collision for (Attacking unit) On
      • Animation - Change (Attacking unit)'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 0.00% transparency

Level 2
if you download my map, please explain to me how that will work?

as there is two endings, one for each team, i could see how i can make a 3rd region over both of these, so as the unit tries to reach there, it gets caught on the earlier region and thus dies normally..

BUT, what if blue blocks the very first region it wants to reach, do i have it go 'non-collision' and then what location does it run to?

please, id love your help, but you may need to look at the map, or explain to me how it can work (for instance, is there a "if unit attacks, turn off collision for 2 seconds, and listen to last order to region"?)

EDIT: ok, heres something i just thought, would this work..

- create one of those for all 6 colours, so event = unit owned by (colour) is attacked.
- send it to the last region, which is protected by either 'red' or 'purple', and it carries on like normal
- if the player that blocked and got attacked is red or purple, send it to the respective ends.

• Prevent block P12 red
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Is attacked
    • Conditions
      • (Owner of (Attacking unit)) Equal to Player 12 (Brown)
    • Actions
      • Wait 0.00 seconds
      • Unit - Turn collision for (Attacking unit) Off
      • Animation - Change (Attacking unit)'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%) with 20.00% transparency
      • Unit - Order (Attacking unit) to Move To (Center of Team1 AllDie <gen>)
      • Wait 2.00 seconds
      • Unit - Turn collision for (Attacking unit) On
      • Animation - Change (Attacking unit)'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 0.00% transparency
works? :)

map works good now :) thanks

Attachments

• ScamperNZTestTD7.w3x
    80.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Level 2
yes, actually.

ive hosted this a few times as tests, and both times where team 2 didnt lose early, when it reached level 17.. the teams randomly start losing lives, and then lose...

please find out what the bug is? the things changed before the problem happened are:
- made waves 16 -20
- added the collision thing mentioned before.
- don't think anything else was done...

Attachments

• ScamperNZTestTD7.w3x
    80.9 KB · Views: 45
Level 2
latest version. not much changed, just more waves i think. uploading for personal use :)

Attachments

• ScamperNZTestTD8.w3x
    82.4 KB · Views: 52
Status
Not open for further replies.