• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

3DS Max scripts to automate save/load of xaf files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Nearly 2 years ago I had the idea of exporting the models from the Dawn of War 2 game to Warcraft 3, I wanted to make some custom games within Warhammer 40k universe.
I spent months looking for information on Dawn of War 2 modding and found a way to export the meshes, bones, animations, and their materials into max files.

I then followed processes explained in the Wc3Tutorials youtube channel, which consist of setting up a scene by saving a max file animation under the xaf format and then load them into a single max file, this way you have 1 max file with multiple animations that can be exported by the Neodex Plugin on 3DS Max.

The process of saving & loading animation files is pretty repetitive and boring, so I thought I could write up some script to automate the task.

I managed to code some script that satisfied my ambition a year ago, however, I gave up on the idea to use Dawn of War 2 models as they were too heavy for my taste, each model sized at 2-3Mb, the animations got too much keyframe, I didn't find a way to effectively diminish the keyframe number without messing up the animations.

Moreover, manual work is required after the export to MDX/MDL format in order to make the model fit Warcraft 3 standard.
I recently cleaned up my script and uploaded them in order to bring closure to this project, may this be useful to someone in the future.

Github repository containing the scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.