• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

2D metroid engine DEMO HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Yep I've been working on a 2D super metroid style warcraft 3 mechanics system. And I have to say it works pretty well too! Here's the rundown...

This is a DEMO. It is made to demonstrate the core ideas I could eventually turn into a game. It lasts about 5-10 minutes (depending how long you muck around). It uses plenty of excellent custom models by the amazing ZeroX and features some rocking tunes from the metroid metal band Stemage and some old school metroid sounds.

But enough about that, the engine you say?

OK here's the basic controls
Left arrow - makes you run left, you gain speed over time
Right arrow - makes you run right, you gain speed over time
Up arrow - lets you jump a set height, releasing up before you reach the peak stops your jump short
Down arrow - enter morph ball mode, required for small tunnels
Down (again) - in morph ball mode pressing this will drop bombs to destroy rubble and enemies

Right click a point - fires the equipped beam at a certain point, each beam has a different range and use and some do more damage than others. Each has a different cooldown rate of fire.

ITEMS MADE SO FAR

The beams
Power beam - basic medium speed medium range beam
Wave beam - long range, pierces walls but not enemies
Ice beam - low damage, low range and speed but freezes enemies
Plasma beam - higher damage, medium range and speed, pierces enemies

Visors
Combat - basic visor, no effects
Scan visor - allows you to scan objects for information
Thermal visor - detect invisible targets with heat patterns and make visibile units more obvious

Other items
Morph ball - become smaller in size, losing attacks but allowing passage through holes
Bombs - drop bombs to destroy rubble

Included in this demo is the following
Movement engine
Good terrain
Morph ball
Power beam
Scan visor
Combat visor
Bombs
Basic enemy type: Beetle
Boss enemy type: Cave beetle

I am contemplating making this into the abandoned C++ game project Metroid prime 2D. It is well within my capability.

Give it a test and see what you think, and enjoy!!!

Even though you don't get them in this map I have shown all beam types in action

Attachments

• death.jpg
    death.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 392
  • ice beam.jpg
    ice beam.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 551
  • jungle.jpg
    jungle.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 581
  • landing site.jpg
    landing site.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 891
  • load screen.jpg
    load screen.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 367
  • morph ball.jpg
    morph ball.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 398
  • plasma beam.jpg
    plasma beam.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 747
  • scan visor.jpg
    scan visor.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 471
  • wave beam.jpg
    wave beam.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 763
  • MetroidEngineDEMO.w3x
    3.6 MB · Views: 223
Level 15
Two words: WICKED SICK! You never cease to surprise me with your programming awesomeness, gavdaman. First Zelda, now Metroid? What CAN'T you do!? I expect to see Mortal Kombat after this!

Edit: There were some slight glitches when I hit the top of the level, but it didn't get me stuck or anything. Alot of times, after walking around in Morph Ball form, I'd not be able to stand back up for awhile. Other than that, this map is pure genius.

Edit2: Oh yeah, it took me awhile to figure out that you need to face the direction you want to shoot in order to shoot.

Level 9
Thanks dude! And as for the hitting the ceiling bugs I'm still trying to fix that as I've encountered this a few times as well where you get glued to walls or ceilings for a while. As for not exiting morph ball I figured how to fix this one, thanks for noticing it!

Level 3
nice map, remind me to soldier map.
but there are some things bothered me.
jump speed to fast and it's kinda hard to jump and move forward/backward in the same time.
when in morph ball mode, the movement speed too slow and to make it normal again I have to press the key view times to revert it to normal mode.
right click for beam isn't too good, and sometimes i have to click few times to get it work.
when the character facing right and I click the left side, the character still facing right and somehow the bullet appear from the air. I think it's better to use keyboard to shoot an enemy (auto target), and hotkey to switch the target. (just my opinion)

Level 15
It's quite good, but it gets kinda laggy - you must have something leaking somewhere.
I think that might be your computer, cause' I got no lag at all.
I don't think it would work in multiplayer atm due to its lagginess.
Again, the lag might be your computer, but two things about the multiplayer:
1. The map would be too big to play on battle.net. It's 3.62 megabytes as it is!
2. Metroid is not meant to be played with more than one person. The original one, anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.